5.0 out of 5 stars Really good read.
I love L.j Smith and i know this book has be written by a ''phantom/ghost writer'' in her name but i do have to say its still a great book. I haven't yet finished it, but so far i think it has been a good continuation of the story and if you have read the previous books i would definitely recommend this book as it carries on the story.
Published on 11 Jan 2012 by Torii

2.0 out of 5 stars Obviously a different author.
Published on 16 Nov 2011 by glamourpuss

2.0 out of 5 stars Obviously a different author., 16 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: 8: Phantom: 1/3 (Paperback)
When I started reading this book I hadn't realised it was not the original author. However about a chapter in I knew something was different. I was really disappointed with this sequel. The characters were like new ones. No continuity at all. Damon was particularly different. Fairly one dimensional and lacking the dark comedic quality that LJ Smith did so well. In my opinion the description of his return was very poor with no depth. I always enjoyed LJ Smith's slightly confusing and enigmatic writing style. A sharp contrast to the new writer who failed to intrigue me. I suspect that the relationship between Damon and Elena is going to be played down in the future books which is disappointing as this is the reason most of us read it! I am not a fan of Stefan and find his and Elena's relationship tedious. The plot failed to interest me particularly and really lacked ingenuity. I don't know the politics around the change of author but think this was a grave mistake and can honestly say that dsepite reading all the previous books and watching the TV series I am doubtful about whether I will read the next installment.

1.0 out of 5 stars To Publisher and Ghostwriter, give LJ Smith her rights back, 19 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: 8: Phantom: 1/3 (Paperback)
I cannot begin to express the disappointed I felt about this 'new and thrilling story'. I had this on pre-order and forgot to cancel the order by the time I found out that LJ Smith no longer had control to anymore of her books.

From the first chapter, I knew something was totally different and could tell that the person writing this must have hit their head on a pavement to think they could be as original as LJ is.

The ghostwriter almost always made references to the original books and no matter what he/she attempted, the book just got even worse to the point where I was actually skipping pages like there was no tomorrow and I hardly ever do this.

I hope a lot of people write bad reviews about this as it will go to show that only Lisa Jane Smith can write whatever Vampire Diary book she wants and we would all like it.

This ghostwriter writes as if to bore the reader to sleep; there is just no depth and nothing to keep you wanting to read further and they are adapting it so sound like the series which I think is totally inappropriate since they have completely different storylines. I like the series don't get me wrong but the books are LJ's work and to change how she wants it to be is just plain wrong.

Definately not impressed; just wish our words were heard and read by the publishers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame its not actually written by L J SMITH!, 5 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: 8: Phantom: 1/3 (Paperback)
I was looking forward to reading this book, until I realised it wasn't actually written by LJSMITH.
It's absolutely ridiculous that this book was written by a ghost writer, the book is badly written. L.J.SMITH must be horrified to have such absolute trash attached to her name.

I would recommend that no-one buy's this book, then hopefully the following books may be written by Lisa!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best one, 9 Nov 2011
I have to agree with the first reviewer, this book was not up to the usual VD series. I'm a reader and a watcher of the TV version (Damon is just great in both;)), but I really have had enough of author's bringing back dead characters, okay in this supernatural series it allows it, but kind of wish they would just kill Steffan and be done with it all! Arggghh!! Damon could have been a separate side story and not known who he was and come back later on when life was relatively settled for everyone, not three damn days later! And then to bring him back a new and improved sedated Damon, not as fun to read! Is it really not L.J.Smith writing these any more? A few collections that I read suddenly change style and I've always wondered about ghost writers etc, loyal fans won't stick around forever! Keep the television series going though please, stories are getting more interesting on tv format! I am definitely not one for advocating books over tv!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 13 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: 8: Phantom: 1/3 (Paperback)
I love all things Vampire Diaries but this book disappointed me after eagerly awaiting it coming out,it seemed to drag all the way through,i found it petty and the characters all seemed weak.There was none of the charming but bad boy Damon that i love and even Stefan was not the passionate character he is.With previous Vamp diaries i have been not been able to put the book down,Phantom seemed to go on forever.

1.0 out of 5 stars vampire diaries, 22 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: 8: Phantom: 1/3 (Paperback)
what a pile of crap I have followed this series from my early teens and feel hugely offended by the latest book get L.J back or stop publishing more books !!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good read., 11 Jan 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 4 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: 8: Phantom: 1/3 (Paperback)
Loved all other vampire diaries but this was utter rubbish. Boring plot. Will not be reading any more. Save your money and leave well alone

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disapointing.., 29 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: 8: Phantom: 1/3 (Paperback)
I am so sorry to say that this book is really disapointing and very boring to a certain degree. There is only one scene in the book that I liked and that is about it. All them fighting off the phantom in Mrs. Flowers garage is pathetic. The story is good and imaginative it is just the way it is portrayed and written. I found I was skipping pages too, just like another person said on her review of this book. I waited months for this since I loved all the other books and was really gutted when realised it did nothing for me. I am all for Damon and Elena and they have only one good scene between them. The end is apaulling. Nonetheless, I shall be purchasing book 9 when avail because I am a true fan and also because I am hoping it will be better than this one. If you have not bought or read this yet, don't bother.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best series ever!, 13 Nov 2012
I had read all the books previous to this one and they were really good but wasn't sure how much longer the brilliance and excitment would las. I am pleased to say that this book was just as good as the rest. Since then I have read the following one Vampire Diaries 9: Moonsong (The Vampire Diaries)and am waiting to buy the tenth instalment Vampire Diaries 10 The Hunters: Destiny Rising (The Vampire Diaries).

The Vampire Diaries: 8: Phantom: 1/3
The Vampire Diaries: 8: Phantom: 1/3 by L J Smith (Paperback - 10 Nov 2011)
5.24