5.0 out of 5 stars A book that will get your heart racing
Exciting. Romantic. Gripping. Fantastic.

Synopsis: Anna Winterson doesn't know she's a witch and would probably mock you for believing in magic, but after moving to the small town of Winter with her father, she learns more than she ever wanted to about power.

Published on 19 Feb 2012 by Sam

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite a Good Book
You can read more reviews on my book blog, [...]

Witches. I love them. Ever since I've watched Charmed, witches have managed to be the mythical creature for me. Naturally, when I read the title, I had high hopes.

Published 19 months ago by The Teen Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that will get your heart racing, 19 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Winter Trilogy: A Witch in Winter (Paperback)
Exciting. Romantic. Gripping. Fantastic.

When Anna meets Seth, she is smitten, but when she enchants him to love her, she unwittingly amplifies a deadly conflict between two witch clans and splits her own heart in two. She wants to love Seth, to let him love her - but if it is her magic that's controlling his passion, then she is as monstrous as the witch clan who are trying to use her amazing powers for their own gain.
When love is tangled up in magic, how do you know what's real?

What a great start to my February! A Witch in Winter is a delicious new debut by a UK debut author, Ruth Warburton. This book is packed full of action! Spells! Steamy scenes with a gorgeous boy! What could you want more in a YA book?

I found myself falling into the story of Anna and her newly discovered powers. She is a very emotional girl, she makes mistakes, she's not afraid to cry, she's brave, she loves her family, she's just like any other girl in this world. Apart from the fact that she is a Witch. A Witch who's just casted a spell that may ruin the whole community. You can't make someone love you, but when your a powerful Witch like Anna, anything can happen.

Once you start reading the first few chapters you just can't put it down! Ruth does a brilliant job to hook you into this addictive story. She builds up her characters slowly, adding interesting personalities and twists that you wouldn't expect.

I must talk about Seth. I must. Seth.....Ahhhhhh....Lovely, lovely Seth. He sounds so perfect. At first I didn't really like him, I felt that he was slightly arrogant and not an overly fun person to read about and then he becomes obssessed....because of a spell. But when he starts telling Anna that the spell has worn off and that he loves her, my heart was pounding against my ribs, I wanted Anna to be less difficult! But in the end, I was satisfied with both characters.

I feel for Anna's dad, when your reading, you can tell that he is lonely and that he longs for company. He won't tell Anna how her mother died or what she was like. Anna is full of curiousity when it comes down to her mum and I hope that her dad will, one day, explain to her what happened.

I CAN'T WAIT to read A Witch in Love! Another book, another exciting story! Hopefully some new characters? Complicate the story a bit? Hmmmm, I'm sure Ruth will deliver!

I am so glad that Ruth is from the UK! Finally! A UK author! A YA UK author! FINALLY I AM PROUD TO BE BRITISH! I don't normally come across YA books written by a UK author, so I am very happy! I can't wait until June when the sequel comes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, witty and witchy, 30 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Winter Trilogy: A Witch in Winter (Paperback)
A Witch in Winter tells the story of Anna, a girl who moves away from her beloved London to a town on the South coast, and into a creeptastic old house. I absolutely adored the setting for this book, I love YA books set in the UK (especially ones written by UK authors), and the small town location really added to the atmosphere of the story. I love how relevant the sea became to the plot, and just how scary it could be, how such a beautiful and natural element could be utilised in such a way.

Anna was a great character, she was a real teenage girl. Her reactions to the events were pretty much how I imagine I'd react, which made it easy to love and relate to her. I adored how the whole witchcraft thing came about, her and her friends trying out a spell for the fun of it (and because they were slightly inebriated, what doesn't seem like a good idea when you're in that state?). I was obsessed with magic when I was younger and I can see it being something I would've done, albeit not with the same results. I loved how Ruth didn't shy away from teenage drinking, or things that young people genuinely do, which again added a much more realistic element to her characters. None of the secondary characters fell flat for me, not even the ones introduced at the late stages. They all had their parts to play, and their roles were clearly defined within the plot.

The love story was so fantastically different, I loved the idea of it and it was so well executed. I loved the ambiguity of not knowing exactly what was going on. Despite that, I wasn't a massive fan of Seth, but then he wasn't the sort of love interest I take to, seeing as he was a decent guy, but I can see many other readers adoring him.

The ultimate battle was amazing, the enemy was one that I actually found quite scary, and the solution was neither easy nor lazy. The actions of the characters did have consequences, for everyone involved and for the people caught in the crossfire.I liked being able to see these consequences, rather than the story glossing over them which happens so often. The witchcraft was very clever and well rooted in genuine old English. It's clear a lot of research went into creating this aspect of the plot which is something I always appreciate.

The writing was fantastic, pacy and full of humour and suspense, it wasn't superior to the plot and complemented the tone of the book perfectly. This is an excellent example of paranormal YA. It has everything you'd expect from this type of novel, but it avoids the cliches and predictability that so often mar such a story for me. I think the cover is absolutely spectacular and I cannot wait to see the finished article!

This book is part of a trilogy, and it's a series, and an author, to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome debut, 23 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Winter Trilogy: A Witch in Winter (Paperback)
I really feel like I have been spoilt lately. I don't seem to have anything negative to say about any of the books I have read in the last month and this one is no exception. I always know I am on the right track with a book, when my best friend phones me up to tell me she has bought this fabulous book and can't put it down. As soon as she mentioned the title 'A Witch In Winter' I had to grin, because she was spot on. I almost wish I hadn't read it, so that I could enjoy it afresh all over again.

Many of you know I have a thing for witches, so this book was always going to find a way into my hands. As soon as I started to read it I loved it. The first few scenes are set in Wicker House - all I can say is my ideal home makeover! An old creepy house, infested with every small living creature, with a dodgy history - I want to live there! Wicker House would have been sold on sight to me.

As the story progressed, events happen which bring a desperate Seth to Anna's door. His declaration of instant love, scared the hell out of me and I was concerned that she might have a stalker on her hands, but once she sorted out the problem, he turned into a really lovely guy.

Anna was AMAZING! Her powers were AMAZING! She seriously was electrifying in her abilities and took on her new found abilities with ease. I really want a power like hers.

I found the book to be really well paced, as each chapter swiftly moved you on in the story. I found I couldn't put it down for long, as I needed to know what was happening next.

The ending was seriously explosive. If you had added fireworks they would have gone unnoticed, with such lightening powers occurring from the witches. Some serious magic going down! Not sure I want to remain living by the sea though...

This is a book about a new girl in a new town with some seriously new talents. A magical start to a new series that leaves me waiting impatiently for the next book. At least it didn't end with a cliff hanger, all the loose threads were sewn up by the end of the book.

A promising new start to a series I am already growing to love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging start to what promises to be a fascinating trilogy, 10 Jan 2012
Book Angel Emma (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Winter Trilogy: A Witch in Winter (Paperback)
The cover drew me to this book I know the minute I laid eyes on it that I had to have it. I am sure a few fellow bloggers know that feeling well.

I will start by saying that THANK GOD IT IS A trilogy. The story is a tumultuous mix of action and emotion yet there is so so so much more that needs to be answered. The good news is that the wait is only until July for Book 2 A Witch in Love.

Written in first person narrative, Anna, has had to move to the coastal town of Winter due to her father's redundancy and slight breakdown. This particularly hit a raw nerve with me. However, the gorgeous old house they move into more than made up for the move (for me at least). The Gothic architecture depicted completely won me over even with all the work it needed doing to renovate it. I wanted to move there, but without the creepiness. The marks scored into the wooden doorframes added to the atmosphere, their purpose for protection added to the story building.

The writing is wonderfully British especially for the insults; there were parts I literally snorted out loud. Rich descriptive writing creates a realistic and completely relatable community. I loved that there were cliques even among witches. It really added the dynamics of the story. Who are the good guys, which side to choose?? I could feel the changes in the weather that were depicted, sensory encompassing vivid descriptions building the atmosphere and following the action and emotion was just brilliant to picture.

I completely adored Seth, not only is he gorgeous but he is a NICE GUY. From the moment that Anna and Seth met I felt that there was a deep connection between them. Their shared loss of a parent initially gave them common ground but the way in which they were able to relax around each other and be themselves emphasised their connection. I did find it quite frustrating that Anna didn't have the self-confidence to believe that Seth could genuinely like her.

As I said at the beginning thank goodness this is a trilogy as I felt that the story barely broke the surface of what I NEED to know. There are a ton of questions that need to be answered. I have the second book firmly on my wish-list for July.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite a Good Book, 1 Dec 2012
You can read more reviews on my book blog, [...]

A Witch in Winter is set written by an English author, and set in England; I admit, despite being English myself, I haven't read quite a lot of English books. Well, not any in the YA genre. I got as further as Jacqueline Wilson and Cathy Cassidy.

Anyways, getting back on topic, I could completely imagine the little town of Winter which Warburton's created. It's a mixture of all those holidays spent in Dorset and Bournemouth, all perfectly English.

Then there's Anna Winterson, the main character. She seems quite realistic, because her attitudes towards normal teenage-related problems is, well... normal, like drinking. She's continuously unable to see any reason for why Seth would fall in love with her - and for good reason - too.

This is because Anna bewitches Seth into falling in love by accident. After some desperate attempts to get rid of this spell, Seth still seems to 'love' her. So how is she supposed to know if he really loves her or not? Because she kind of does.

I have to applaud the final/fight scene. The way Ruth Warburton wrote it made me actually believe it was real - I was about to have a panic attack. I was very excited. :)

I'd say I enjoyed the book. It's not one that I'll be reading again any time soon, and I'm not in a huge rush to read the second one in the series. Despite that being said, it's worth a read; if you're looking for a romantic, witch-ey, exciting read, this one's for you.

3/5 Stars - This book was enough to satisfy my bookish thoughts for a while. I liked it.

Teaser Quote:
"Remember what I said," he called, his voice ripped and torn by the winds. "Witch!"

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for fans of magic and mystery in 'real-world' settings., 28 July 2012
Mrs. B. S. Kemp "Beth Kemp" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a skilful debut, creating a town with a long history with magic, and a group of realistic characters. It will be enjoyed by many YA paranormal romance readers, whilst offering them something slightly different.

The story is narrated directly by Anna, so understanding why she does things is effortless and we easily root for her. The novel begins with her move to a new town, Winter, into a spooky and dilapidated house, following family financial difficulties. We bond with her as she struggles to settle into a new place - a small-town community where clearly everyone knows everyone else's business, ensuring our sympathies are well-established with her before magic is brought into the story. And when it is, her reactions feel realistic and human, and we see her moral goodness through her horror at the spell's effect.

Seth is an interesting character, and the reasons for him and Anna to be drawn to one another (aside from physical attraction) are established, alongside some funny-but-disturbing scenes of spell-induced stalkerishness. I felt that (witchcraft aside) their relationship was a believable construction, and that the central barrier (can she ever be sure he isn't just bewitched?) was a really good one to unsettle the relationship.

The setting worked brilliantly in several ways: the realistic and modern sixth-form experience that Anna gets at school; the intriguing nature of Winter itself and its relationship to magic (which I hope we'll learn more about in books 2 and 3) and the glorious gothic ramshackle nature of Wicker House with its 'witch's house' reputation and general creepiness. Again, I'm sure there's more of the house's history to be discovered in later novels. The setting (and the dialogue) is very British, which was very welcome after reading a few US YA novels recently. There's something really comforting about the familiarity this offers, even when that familiarity is shot through with magic! As a language geek, I also enjoyed the Old English style spells, suggesting something ancient that's always been there, hidden.

The plot moves along effectively, and (other than questions of history/background) everything is resolved in this volume. The tension creeps up steadily before the spell is cast, as Anna is simply trying to settle into a new place and there is no explicit suggestion of witchcraft - but of course we know that this is where the story is going to go. The stakes are raised rapidly after this, and we're quickly into much bigger conflicts.

Overall, this was a book that I really enjoyed and would definitely recommend. The second in the series came out this month, and the third will be out early next year.

3.0 out of 5 stars An ok book, 7 May 2012
Nyx (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Winter Trilogy: A Witch in Winter (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading this book, I liked the plot idea and the authors writing style, however it became more apparent that the plot was predictable and the characters weren't well developed. Although a still enjoyable book it lacks true depth, but an OK read from the YA genre.

3.0 out of 5 stars More older child than young adult., 1 April 2012
This review is from: The Winter Trilogy: A Witch in Winter (Paperback)
After reading the reviews on this book I was expecting something better. The narrative is OK but the plot was very predictable and was an obvious intertext of 'Twilight' in places. I would recommend this for 11 to 14 year-old's but anyone older would probably find it a bit boring and predictable. The editing was also patchy in places and the characters needed more development and to be less stereotypical. It might be me, but I initially thought this book would be better set in the US, it did not feel remotely British. It is not a bad book, just an OK one if you are 12.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Witch in WInter, 7 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Winter Trilogy: A Witch in Winter (Paperback)
A truly bewitching book, as once you start reading you can't put it down. Every page keeps the tension going. Really well written, exciting and emotional. I bought it for my granddaughter but had to read it first and so glad I did. I'm sure she will enjoy it just as much as I did. It would make a great film or TV series and I can't wait for the next in the series. I feel sure we will see a lot more from Ruth Warburton.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Winter Trilogy: A Witch in Winter (Paperback)
I got the third book in the trilogy first by accident so purchased this book to read first. It's enjoyable and isn't easy to put down. And you really get to know the characters

The Winter Trilogy: A Witch in Winter
The Winter Trilogy: A Witch in Winter by Ruth Warburton (Paperback - 5 Jan 2012)
3.85