5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!
The final book, and I must say it took my breath away!
I sometimes find that books towards the end of a series tend to flail and go dry, but I can happily report that this was not one of those cases. It was the perfect harmony of romance, danger, mystery and intrigue!
Published on 14 Mar 2011 by Emjay

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - but a little disappointed.
Published on 21 Mar 2011 by ROlly

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - but a little disappointed., 21 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: 7: Midnight: 3/3 (Paperback)
I have absolutely loved the Vampire Diaries. The final installment in this latest trilogy left me a little disappointed and I really did not want to be as I have really enjoyed the story so far. I would highly recommended the entire series. I simply had to read it to see how everything ended but I felt the the storytelling was not quite as well executed as the other novels. It could be a little repetitive in parts and it felt like it lost direction at times. I still enjoyed the core story and was eager to know how all the characters fared in the end - Damon remains a fantastically entertaining character throughout. If you have started the the Vampire Diaries journey it is worth finishing it with 'The Return'....

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, 14 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: 7: Midnight: 3/3 (Paperback)
The final book, and I must say it took my breath away!
With both the Salvatore brothers back in (relative) safety, Elena has to not only figure out which will become her Prince, but also how to save her beloved town before 'the last midnight', when the twin Kitsune will unleash their true terror.
'Midnight' was beautifully written from start to finish, fuelling our emotions, and our need for more. I couldn't put the book down for the sheer intensity of it. The ending was, though highly traumatic and extremely tearful (at least for me!) amazing, and I have to say I felt very sad to be finishing it.
Although, maybe with that little quirk at the end... Is there possibly another story on the horizon?

4.0 out of 5 stars Willing suspension of disbelief, 20 Mar 2011
Scheherazade (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: 7: Midnight: 3/3 (Paperback)
I've heard a lot of things said about The Return sequence of the Vampire Diaries. Some of it was even true. I don't agree with the people who say it's not worth reading, though. There is some silliness in these books, but I think Midnight restores the tone, and brings the series to an appropriate (if a little abrupt!) conclusion. I was gripped by this book from beginning to end -- like the others in the series, it's action-packed and unrelenting, combining heartbreak and euphoria in equal measure. Some of it is a little incredulous, but then, this *is* fantasy fiction -- willing suspension of disbelief is the name of the game, and this book does ultimately reward tolerance of its more outré moments.

Some of this book is (perhaps inevitably) a let down -- Damon's restored humanity was a wasted moment, I felt, but nevertheless in keeping with his character. After being set up as a formidable enemy, Shinichi's easy defeat was also a little grating, as was the miraculous restoration of the town. It's perhaps this that makes the ending seem slightly rushed, but it's still one of the most gut-wrenching I've read for a while.

If you're one of the people who wished they'd left Stefan and Elena at the end of Book 4, then Midnight might just restore your faith in the series. I won't say it's masterful, because it's not -- but it's definitely worth a read. On the other hand, if you're a fan of this series, or of vampire fiction in general, then don't miss Midnight -- it's certainly not as "final" as it might seem!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the rest of the trilogy, 9 April 2011
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: 7: Midnight: 3/3 (Paperback)
I was really looking forward to the final part of the trilogy but found it a little disappointing. Like others I think that turning Damon human was a bit pointless and a missed opportunity as far as the story went. My biggest gripe however was the writing. There were parts which I had to read a few times before I could work out what actually happened. At other points it just seemed to jump. Basically it felt like the book had been rushed out and not edited properly. If the writing had been better this would have been so much better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm, 1 April 2011
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: 7: Midnight: 3/3 (Paperback)
While I got completely stuck into the first 6 books, this final book just dissapointed me. There is something about Elena I never really got in all the books, she's almost hard to relate to and in the final book I found that even more so. The book just didn't hold my interest, and I'm sad to say I ending up skim reading it and skipping bits that I just couldn't get into. SPOILER ALERT HERE, but what was the point in making Damon change into a human in the last book, if he's just going to change back again in the next?!
I have to say I love what their doing with the series on T.V more than the books.
On a good note, the bits I did read were done well, and I will always be team Damon. =]

4.0 out of 5 stars The end for now..., 29 Mar 2011
Ms. C. A. Anderson "Cassandra220689" (East Kilbride, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: 7: Midnight: 3/3 (Paperback)
We begin with the aftermath of Damon's decision to stupidly open the black rose given to Stefan which was to restore his humanity and while this was Stefan's dream, we all know how much it was not what Damon had planned. After all, what is Damon, if not a mischievous vampire? Which is what Damon comes to the conclusion of, being a vampire is the very heart of who he is, or rather who he tries to pretend he is, and of course Damon wants this little 'inconvenience' of being human sorted asap.

This leads to another journey back to the Dark Dimension with someone he didn't exactly plan to take. While there, he comes up with a solution to sort the problem of being human in true cunning, mischievous Damon fashion but not without some serious consequences and a hello from the Kitsune foxes Miso and Shinchi.

Meanwhile, in true Vampire Diaries fashion, we switch between the goings on in the Dark Dimension and those in Fell's Church. And of course, from what we seen in the last book, the children of the town are still under the influence of evil Shinchi who seems more than ever set to destroy Fell's church after most of Miso's starball is used up. But while the once beautiful town of Fell's Church is slowly becoming a sight from a horror film, the crew start to uncover that Miso and Shinchi may not be the only ones set to destroy the town and its inhabitants and a shocking discovery shows that its not the first time this has happened in the world...

Cutting back constantly to the Dark Dimension where Damon is joined by Elena and Stefan, they set out on the search for treasure and a possible solution to the happenings back in Fell's Church but things are not what they seem and just when everything seems all right, tragedy strikes and things will never be the same again... Emotions run high and the consequences could be dire...

With an ending which is abrupt and isn't the full conclusion we might expect, we are left wondering if this really is the 7th and final book. The ending is not quite what seems to be an end. This maybe in part to having found out that Smith was going to continue the series, I had my hopes up, only for them to be dashed by her publishers who are not happy by the way she planned to take it. Sad really, but if your a fan of the series, like me, let it be known and we might get what we want...

Fingers crossed this isn't the last time we visit Fell's Church otherwise the ending is a little unfair to us fans.

Cassandra220689

5.0 out of 5 stars an amazing read, 15 Mar 2011
i really enjoyed reading this book, im really upset about it being the last book in the series though. i also think the ending could be better or mabye a few more chapters about what happens after well youll have to read it but this is an amazing book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok., 15 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: 7: Midnight: 3/3 (Paperback)
I have enjoyed the books so far, but felt like this one overan and came to the end abruptly.
I don't want to say too much about what happens, because if you've followed the series, you will need to see it through.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointing., 14 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: 7: Midnight: 3/3 (Paperback)
Okay firstly I have to admit that I could not put the book down. Just because I needed to know how it all ended. And there were some very good twists. But and there is a big but. It did leave me disappointed and unsatisfied. On a logical and emotional level. The problem I had, was that the story felt at quite a few points incoherent. For instance: One minute they were in towels the next in dresses and then in bathrobes again. Did I miss something in between? It just kept happening.
The next thing that bugged me was that the relationship between Elena and Stefan was getting a wee bit stagnant and repetitive. The endless cuddle scenes where somewhat irrelevant to the stories end result and I feel she could have cut at least ten of them. As for what was going on between her and Damon I had trouble believing it. It was obvious what they felt for one another yet a simple angry or cold word could offset everything. Even though Elena knew him inside. It was like following a ping-pong match. Totally unbelievable even if I try to remember my teenage years. As for the fantastic idea that Stefan would be her love and not a lover, loving her chastely until the end of her days, with all the emotions that came before, well it is just outlandish. I know its a children's book but please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: 7: Midnight: 3/3 (Paperback)
A gift for the wife that left her happy and kept her off my case for a bit.

The Vampire Diaries: 7: Midnight: 3/3
The Vampire Diaries: 7: Midnight: 3/3 by L J Smith (Paperback - 3 Mar 2011)
5.24