4.0 out of 5 stars For Skin fans
I had finished reading this book today, it was a very quick read for me for two reasons. Firstly I am a big admirer of the series, but secondly it is a short book.

Published on 4 Jan. 2010 by Mr. Am Leszczynski

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy, enjoyable read for skins fans!
This was a good read, and I would recommend it for any skins fan!!

However it does not give much background or depth to the characters, therefore it may be very difficult for someone who has not watched skins to grasp.

Published on 15 Jan. 2010 by Emma J. Bailey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy, enjoyable read for skins fans!, 15 Jan. 2010
Emma J. Bailey "emzbail" (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skins: The Novel (Paperback)
This was a good read, and I would recommend it for any skins fan!!

I found the stories entertaining, and they supported each characters personality and previous actions in the series fully, typical bnehaviours and language of each character was used, therefore a familiarity was present.

Although entertaining, the mini stories for each character were often weak and quite bland with very little cohesion, as the chapters swapped and changed from character to character.

Overall, I would recommend this book, as I found it a very easy and enjoyable read, and it also calmed my eagerness to see the new series for a little while :P

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably for Skins fans only., 5 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Skins: The Novel (Paperback)
In anticipation of Skins Series 7 I decided to re-watch the previous seasons whilst reading the novels in their correct places within the timelines. I don't have high hopes for TV tie-ins but was pleasantly surprised by this book. It is an enjoyable, unchallenging read but I would have deep reservations about recommending it to anyone who had not previously seen any of the series. The author relies too heavily on the reader knowing these characters very well and she puts little effort into character building or development. Perhaps this is less the fault of the author though and restrictions were imposed on her??? Even so, she has done a fine job of making them feel like their TV personas.

I do believe she has shown far more interest in some of the characters from the TV show over others. The novel would probably feel little different if Freddie, Cook and JJ didn't even feature. I found their roles utterly superfluous to the plot. Primarily the focal point is with Effie and her mother (shadowing events towards the end of series four). Interesting as this is Effie's mental state does seem to get ahead of events to come later in the TV series and is thus a bit disjointed with the programme. A lot of the book is taken up with the relationships between Emily, Katie and Naomi which, ignoring some pointless gratuity in a French gay club that has no baring on anything else, is very well considered and dealt with, adding nicely to what we see in the programme.

As a TV tie-in it does exactly what is required. If you're a big Skins fan this is definitely worth it but I can't imagine it having much appeal to anyone who isn't.

4.0 out of 5 stars For Skin fans, 4 Jan. 2010
Mr. Am Leszczynski "Adam196" (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skins: The Novel (Paperback)

I was debating how to best review this book, should I compare it to books in general? Or should I compare it to the TV series? Since there are references in the book to characters who are given no introduction or indication as to who they are, prior knowledge is required to get to grips with the teenager's universe. So for the purposes of this review I assume that you are a fan of the series.

The most complimentary thing that can be said of the book is how extremely well the author has captured the characters considering she is not one of the writers on the TV counterpart. You get the potty mouthed Cook, the strong Naomi, the nerdy and insecure JJ, the Freddie with no 'va-va voom', the silly Pandora, an incredibly messed up Effy and also the well captured twins. Thomas' portrayal is ok, but by far the weakest. This is mainly down to the modest development of his character in season 3; there isn't much about him. However, basing the trailer for the upcoming 4th season I predict we will see more of him.

Despite the faithful portrayals of the characters the author throws in a few nice curve balls in the teenager's stories. One in particular was very unexpected.

The book is divided into 4 weeks and follows the gang through the month of August during their holiday break between terms at college. The chapters are bite size and keep switching between characters. What the book offers is a first person perspective that the TV series could not provide. Meaning that you can clearly understand the character's deeper feelings and perhaps it might change your perspective on some, and make you relate to others...I know it has done for me.

Although I am a fan of the Skins franchise and am but in my early 20s I do find the characters unbelievable. By this I don't mean poor writing, I mean their behaviour. Effy for example in this novel is out of control. I am a little worried that young people today are too easily brain washed by such trends and increasingly aspire to the likes of Paris Hilton etc.

To blame the creators of Skins for doing this is unfair as it is down to individual personality. For example I can distinguish between fiction and fact, and choose not to live my life like the Bristol teenagers. If more viewers could interpret the Skins' characters not as idols, but as warnings then perhaps some people would not criticise the franchise so much.

I like the fact that the franchise has expanded to book form as it not only offers more insight and understanding to the characters but could very well encourage more teenagers to start reading. The very modest price may also help this cause.

In conclusion, if you are a fan of the series and regardless of your reading level I think you will enjoy this book. Like I said, I read it very quickly due to its length and content, but praise should also be given to the story and very well captured characters. Thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding! A Book filled with emotion and realistic values., 16 Jan. 2010
C. Salter "Chrys" (UK) - See all my reviews
Outstanding!

I am a HUGE fan of skins. When I heard a Skins novel was coming out, My first thoughts were its going to be filled with pages of sex scenes and shallow story lines. How ever, I bought this book of Amazon anyway and decided to read it, still hoping it will be good.

I am now over half way, and it is Outstanding! The Book goes in to great depth of all the characters, and the emotions described are very easy to relate to. This brilliant novel follows all the characters on an emotional journey, which features many important happenings and events which will have an effect on the Series 4 of skins.

This is a Must read for all your skins addicts out there who want to know what happened in the lost summer! I recommend this book with 5 stars, how ever anybody of 50 might find this rather repulsive but I shouldn't stereotype.

The In-depth story lines follow all the characters. Emily is tempted to cheat on her girlfriend, Effy is in Venice with her Mum from hell chasing after an Italian guy to try and forget about Cook and Freddie. Jjay is watching his fellow friends take part in a mindless sex game. Katie is facing a breakdown and goes off to Venice to find Effy leaving her emotional sister behind. These are only some of the INCREDIBLE story lines this book has to offer, and the ones listed here are only the very basics!

This is not a disappointment, but a delight!

3.0 out of 5 stars skins - easy read but background knowledge required, 21 April 2010
This review is from: Skins: The Novel (Paperback)
Although I am a little older than the target skins audience (shhhhh, 34!) I have watched it since the start and have particularly loved seasons 3 & 4. This book covers the summer between their two years at college but doesn't really explain the position that some of the characters are in at the start of series 4. Probably the most significant developments in the book are Effy's downward spiral.

If you've got some time to dedicate to reading this book, it would probably take 3 hours max. & even if you don't have a lot of time, it's easy to pick up and put down without losing the thread. It's not a difficult read at all. If you like the show, there's nothing to lose from reading it and if it's still at a cheap price, go for it but by no means is it required reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just amazing!!!, 8 Jun. 2012
Martita (Brussels, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skins: The Novel (Paperback)
I could not wait for this book to arrive. I am a skins series 3 and 4 fan and I really loved the novel! I think the author -Ali Cronin- superbly manages to switch according to the fantastic 9 characters' point of view. Breathtaking plot, astonishingly examined characters, brilliant narrative style.. these are all the elements that contribute to make this novel one of the best book ever written upon a TV series. Really helps you emphatise and get to know better the beloved characters of the third and forth series. Strongly suggested to all skins fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good read..., 10 Feb. 2010
Ms. A. Doyle (East Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skins: The Novel (Paperback)
I knew I wanted to read the book straight away, and I tell you what... for that price you really can't go wrong!
For all the skins fans this is a MUST READ book! Although it has no link with the storylines in the tv series, it fills in gaps about what they did over the summer! Each chapter is written in a different character and from their point of veiw!
As I'm not a person to read books all the time, I was surprised when I found myself unable to stop reading it!
It's a really good book, and I would suggest it to anyone as I have done to all my friends!
If there was another one to come out, I would not hesitate to purchase it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skins novel : My review, 10 Mar. 2010
Mrs. Carol Cooper "redtap44" (Douglas, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skins: The Novel (Paperback)
I'm not really the type of person who likes to read, but when I heard about the skins novel I thought I might have a look at it, as I am a MASSIVE fan of Skins :D I wasn't disappointed one bit !!
I finished the whole book in 5 days ! I literally couldn't stop reading it and when I wasn't reading it I would wonder what would be happening next !
I would defiantly give it 5 stars ! I love it :D

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW., 1 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Skins: The Novel (Paperback)
For me, I loved skins series 3.
I adored Emily&Naomi's friendship/relationship - and I couldn't wait to read the book!
It took me a while, to order it, due to lack of money, but as soon as I had money,
I ordered it, it came the next day, and I read it, within 2-3 days, and I love it!
Since i've had it, i've read it about five times.
I'd recommend it, to any fan of skins, gen2.

5.0 out of 5 stars GET IT! NOW!, 3 Mar. 2010
S. J. Bates - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skins: The Novel (Paperback)
If your a skins fan this is a must have! seriously.. alot of the things that happened in the book are mentioned in the new series and you will be missing out on alot of brill action thats in this book that also explains alot in the new series. A bit steemy and racey but you wont put it down. Buy it its worth every penny and minute

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Skins: The Novel
Skins: The Novel by Ali Cronin (Paperback - 7 Jan. 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01