on 6 April 2014
started reading it for new year and implemented not eating bread (and nudles and anything that contains wheat, barley and rye). three months later
1. a 30 year old cough has disappeared
2. no knee problems
3. no reflux
4. dont seem to catch a cold anymore

and the best is that I can drink red wine again without getting stomach problems.
22 comments|78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 December 2013
Haven't eaten much in the way of carbs since I finished this book! Feeling great :-) recommended to all my friends and family
This is an important book, almost on a par with Uffe Ravnskov's and Malcolm Kendrick's books on the cholesterol myth, and Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride's books, the one refuting the diet-heart hypothesis and the other on "gut and psychology syndrome". The author is telling us that if we continue to eat as we are doing - living on a diet of grains and carbohydrates, we will destroy our brain and develop Alzheimer's or another form of dementia. Or we may develop diabetes (because of the carbohyrates), which in itself doubles the risk of Alzheimer's.

We need to get rid of our bread and exchange it with butter and eggs. Saturated fats and high cholesterol are not the problem. We need to adopt a high-fat diet, including saturated fats. The author explains how our food choices can bring inflammation under control by changing the expression of our genes.

The two biggest myths are 1) a low-fat, high carb diet is good and 2) cholesterol is bad.

It turns out that many of us, though not suffering from celiac disease, are in fact gluten-sensitive. The author is of the opinion that this "represents the greatest and most under-recognized threat to humanity". Gluten triggers "not just dementia but epilepsy, headache, depression, schizophrenia, ADHD and even decreased libido". Gluten, and a high-carbohydrate diet, for that matter, stimulates "inflammatory pathways that reach the brain".

Cholesterol, far from being the villain of the piece, is one of the most important players in maintaining brain health and function. "Study after study shows that high cholesterol reduces your risk for brain disease and increases longevity." High levels of dietary fat have been proven to be the key to health and peak brain function.

As also pointed out in the afore-mentioned books, statins are death-bringing, since they reduce your cholesterol level, and cholesterol, also LDL, the fallaciously termed "bad" cholesterol, is a critical brain nutrient, essential for the function of neurons, and plays a fundamental role as a building block of the cell membrane.

Chapter 2 of the book is devoted to gluten's role in brain inflammation. Many people with debilitating symptoms such as migraine, bipolar disorder, uncontrollable shaking, and so on, experience great relief when eliminating gluten from their diet. The author considers gluten a modern poison.

We now know that we can grow new neurons throughout our life. Something called BDNF (brain-derived neurotrophic factor) plays a key role in creating new neurons and protecting existing neurons. Calorie restriction is an epigenetic factor that turns on the gene for BDNF production. Also physical exercise, particularly aerobic exercise, targets the BDNF gene, reverses memory decline in the elderly and increases growth of new brain cells in the brain's memory centre.

The consumption of ketones, found in coconut oil, gives significant improvement in cognitive function in Alzheimer's patients (see the books of Bruce Fife). Ketosis (acquiring energy from our fat cells), instead of the process whereby we acquire it from the carbohydrates and protein we eat, is a healthful condition.

There is much valuable information in this book - life-saving information, if you follow Dr. Perlmutter's advice, that is. We are told of the power of fasting, and what fasting and ketogenic diets have in common. We are advised to take DHA capsules (DHA is an omega-3 fatty acid), reservatrol, turmeric, probiotics, coconut oil, alpha-lipoic acid and Vitamin D.

The final chapters are devoted to "A new way of life, The Four-Week Plan of Action". The focus is on food, exercise and sleep. We are provided with meal plans and recipes.

My only reservation is the author's apparent ignorance about the dangers of microwave ovens. He also recommends that we eat canned tomatoes, whereas the illustrious Dr. Mercola (my hero) warns us to stay well clear of these, since the acidity in tomatoes can provoke leaching of the harmful BPA (biphenol-A) in the lining of the can into the food.

But, notwithstanding, to sum up, I would highly recommend that you read this well-written, highly informative, ground-breaking book. The information it contains is basic, essential and perhaps live-saving.
55 comments|173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 February 2014
Dr.Perlmutter, who is a board certified neurologist and a Fellow of the American College of Nutrition has come out with some amazing facts about our daily diet and it's implications. With recent research he has dispelled the myths about eating eggs, butter, coconut oil and shown the detrimental effects of wheat and so called low fat, low cholesterol food. Till recently, I have been buying zero fat yoghurt and when I read the food label I found that it contains more sugar than the normal full fat yoghurt. I had been eating extra sugar to avoid the fat! Coconut oil has been vilified in the press, condemned and denounced as a cause of high cholesterol leading to coronary heart disease. I read in the papers now, that Alzeimers disease is being treated with coconut oil. Dr. Perlmutter advocates the use of coconut oil daily in our diet to keep our brain functioning well in our old age.
This is a must book for anyone who is interested in good health specially where our brain is concerned. Together
with Dr. William Davis's book on 'Wheat Belly' they make an important contribution to maintenance of good health.
I would like to thank Dr.Wayne Dyer for giving publicity to 'Wheat Belly' in one of his recent interviews, which prompted me to buy both these books. - Dr.P.M. Weerasinghe UK.
on 14 March 2014
if you are interested in food science, and in food as a good medicine, please read this book carefully.
Lots and lots of precious info on how and what to eat to keep your brain in good order while you age gracefully.
A must read!
on 12 November 2013
If you have a casual interest in brain health or wish to learn about the benefits of low carb living, this book is well worth reading. For me, with some knowledge about these topics already it was a bit disappointing:
1. 25% of us carry the ApoE 4 gene which predisposes us to Alzheimer's. I agree with Dr. P that genes do not equal destiny. But I really wish he had spent more than a few short pages on ApoE. He should have gone into the latest scientific findings etc.
2. He is definately on the extremist wing of the low carb movement. All carbs need to be omitted. This is fine but very hard to do over the long run. I have been low carb for over a year, but I need to be able to eat out and live life so give myself some wiggle room. This gives me a lifestyle I can maintain forever.
3. He talks about the evils of elevated blood sugar. Great, but I would like more considered advice on how to reduce it. When I was at virtually zero carbs, my fasting glucose was right at the top end of normal. Now I eat a few more carbs, it has fallen a bit. Clearly there is more at play here than just reducing carbs and managing protein.
4. Why do all US books have to be padded out with worthless meal plans? More science and substance please.
1010 comments|217 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 September 2014
Very compelling reading on the subject of gluten intolerance and disease. The style didn't appeal to me which is why I didn't give the book five stars, but I have lent it and recommended it to friends. Personally, I feel far more energetic and healthy when I avoid wheat, so I was already a convert.
on 17 December 2014
This book is a really good guide to the idea of how grains (like wheat & others) with gluten and carbohydrates affect the brain as well as diabetes etc. It fits in very well with other books by John Yudkin about sugar, Robert Lustig likewise, Wheat Belly by Davis, and to some extent the book called New Evolution Diet. I strongly recommend anyone concerned about their mental health or their weight to read these books and try altering their diet. Note there are recipes too in Grain Brain.
We are trying to adapt our diet to greatly reduce sugar and grains especially wheat. My wife already finds cutting out wheat is helping her lose weight and avoid feeling bloated.
Read all 5 books and try for yourself!
on 22 January 2014
Interesting and informative . Easy to read and easy to adopt practices recommended in book. With the global rise in obesity we must be doing something wrong. This book offers an intelligent and well thought out advice to empowerment and an alternative future.
on 9 May 2014
I found this book so interesting and so relevant as I suffer with MS and have seen a massive energy lift since stopping wheat and gluten. Only been 6 weeks however skin so much clearer and energy also vastly improved so would not hesitate to recommend this book to everyone. Husbands arthritis knee pain also much reduced in the 4 weeks he has been gluten free. Weight loss too ;-)