4.0 out of 5 stars CATCHING THE WOLF
"I read that book from cover to cover - 698 pages in a single day - and I laughed out loud the entire time. I was blown away. Mesmerised. Not only was it the most brilliant book I had ever read but also there was something about the writing style that resonated with my soul...."

Published 15 months ago by Jet Lagged

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow to start but still couldn't put it down
I read this immediately after the Wolf of Wall Street and so was slightly disappointed to hear some of the same stories & a lot of explanation before getting into how the Wolf was caught. It was definitely worth reading to the end!
Published 12 months ago by Twickers mummy

4.0 out of 5 stars CATCHING THE WOLF, 11 Feb. 2014
Jet Lagged - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Catching the Wolf of Wall Street: More Incredible True Stories of Fortunes, Schemes, Parties, and Prison (Paperback)

So says the Wolf Jordan Belfort, referring to Tom Wolfe's book "The Bonfire of the Vanities".

This "Catching the Wolf of Wall Street" book is the follow-up to his original "The Wolf of Wall Street". There is inevitable duplication with the first book - but enough new material here to keep us interested all over again.

What I find impressive is just how well written this book is. I enjoyed reading it so much that I began to suspect a ghostwriter had been hired to do the job. After all, this guy was not a writer. He was too busy with certain other activities to have any time left for writing.

I would have probably come away with that ghostwriter belief intact - except for what Belfort reveals at the end of the book:-

"... I must have read that book two dozen times, until I knew every word by heart. And then I read it again, to learn grammar. Then I paid my trusty laundry man, Mark the meth dealer ( who happened to be an avid reader), ten cans of tuna to go through the book with a fine-tooth comb and write down every simile and analogy on a separate piece of paper. Then I read it over and over again until I could recite them in my sleep. And before I knew it, a voice popped into my head: my writers voice. It was ironic, glib, obnoxious, self-serving, and often despicable, but, as Tommy explained it, it was funny as all hell."

The "Tommy" he is referring to is Tommy Chong (Of Cheech and Chong fame). Someone with a sense of humour placed Belfort in the same cell as Chong. Tommy Chong encouraged Belfort to get his exploits down on paper.

So what is Belfort up to nowadays? As indicated in the DiCaprio movie, he is now a motivational speaker or "power of persuasion" type of mentor. And he has his own website at jordanbelfort.com. Watching an "interview" he gives on the site, he seems to be morphing into a clone of Anthony Robbins.

One thing is for sure. This guy will never be dull.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wolf of Wall Street, 27 April 2014
Andrew Gray (London) - See all my reviews
American swindlers are a crazy lot. Jordan Belfort is one of the more extrovert and hilarious. The movie made on this book is just a glimpse of his outrageousness.

Both funny and daring, the Wolf of Wall Street will amaze with its boldness. I shouldn’t root for the bad guys, but Jordan is so self-effacing in his grandiose, I cannot help but like him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Duller than the film, 26 May 2014
Like many people I saw the film with all the hookers and the drugs. This book is the same as that but also so much more. It's a pretty hefty read but it shows you another side to the story you don't see in the film. It shows you the true depth of Jordan Belfort and no matter how you feel about what he did, you can't help but admire him and feel sorry for him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - covers all the gaps left in the Wolf of Wall Street, 12 Jan. 2015
Where the Wolf of Wall Street covers Jordan's fall from grace, this book covers his rise to power as well as what happened after he got caught. All the questions raised in the Wolf of Wall Street are covered here and, told in Jordan's fast paced and very readable style, this is hard to put down. I would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sex Drugs and rigging shares. How to make millions from nothing., 17 May 2014
Corruption and excess in everything. How this guy is still alive beats me, but what a life. He had it all, then he got caught. A modern tale of what is wrong with the capitalist system. It was people like this who caused the last recession. But even so it is a compelling and enjoyable read with pathos and comedy. I would definately want to party with Jordan Belfort.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow to start but still couldn't put it down, 13 May 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Follow-Up, 29 April 2014
It's a good read for a second book, more of the same and provides some of the background that wasn't in the first book but featured in the film.

1.0 out of 5 stars A bit dull, 22 April 2014
In the first book Belfort is clearly very self obsessed and arrogant but he still manages to come across as likeable as the stories are so entertaining. In the second book he spends most of his time grassing on his friends in order to avoid jail and then explaining why he isnt really to blame for any of his actions. This makes for quite dull reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 9 April 2014
Great book well worth a read. Maybe even better than his first book, wolf of Wall Street. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in stock markets

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended., 7 April 2014
A perfect follow up to 'The Wolf of Wall Street'. Well written and easy to read, what can happen when ability, opportunity and greed are mixed with drugs, unbridled indulgence and inflated egos.