4.0 out of 5 stars Give it a go!
I very nearly didn't buy this but I love the author so went for it. I must admit the thought of reading a story backwards did at first take some getting used to but once I got my head round that I couldn't put it down. The twists and turns are breathtaking and I doubt anyone would be expecting them. Great read I highly recommend it.
Published 9 months ago by Ali

1.0 out of 5 stars this book defies the rules of story telling
I am a HUGE fan of Deaver. I pre-ordered this book. I saved it for a flight. And I left it on the plane. But that's just me. I think some people MIGHT like this- but you have to face the giant hurdle of starting afresh with each chapter. In a word- it messes with the basic idea of a story- 'what comes next?'. When it's changed into 'what came before' we're in a different...
Published 9 months ago by R. Twigger

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Different format, 19 Dec 2013
This review is from: The October List (Kindle Edition)
At first I was a little skeptical about this book. It took be a while to get my head around the concept but as I got towards the end I thought it was a very clever twist.

1.0 out of 5 stars Self Indulgent Rubbish, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: The October List (Hardcover)
To me this book was the epitome of what happens when authors belief their own hype. I think Mr Deaver would have turned off most of his fans with this rubbish.

First you have the fact that the book is written backwards, this did not work at all. You had to work too hard to enjoy the story line or his writing.

Secondly is the fact that he put those horrendous photos in...and as you have guessed these were taken by our Mr Deaver. They brought nothing to the story and was in black and white so half the time you weren't even sure what you were looking at.

The book was very thin the stupid photos took up a good 10%

I feel like I should be offered a discount or my money back. Very over priced for what you received.

Shame on you Jeffery Deaver for scamming me out of my hard earnt money!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful !, 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: The October List (Hardcover)
What on earth was the point? Read fifty pages and gave up as nothing made any sense and no clue as to what was going on. Then started reading from back chapter to front and it made sense although the storyline was dull and the plot had no ending. Seems that Deaver sacrificed plot and characters in order to write a totally unnecessary back to front book. Bit like architects who insist on building houses out of glass and chipboard with grass roofs because they've run out of ideas using materials that work in the UK climate! Deaver needs to stick to Rhyme and Dance if he wants to keep his readers!

3.0 out of 5 stars MORE AN EXPERIMENT THAN A NOVEL, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: The October List (Kindle Edition)
Firstly, I must make clear that this is Jeffery Deaver we're talking about here so, whatever follows, the sheer quality of the work sets it apart from other authors. I have (I think) read everything written by Mr D and he remains, by some margin, my favourite detective writter. Having said that, his style seems to have wobbled of late. He produced the truly awful 'A Textbook Case' and followed it, immediately, with one of his best ever book's, 'The Kill Room'. And then this.

To be fair, Mr D is very clear that this is an academic exercise to see if he could write a novel, with all of his trademark twists and turns, within which the plot unfolds backwards. He claims success in his aim and, grudgingly, I must concur. But I still didn't like it!

The story is still very good, the characters well formed and, of course, the plot laced with red herrings. But the whole thing has been so forced and bent out of shape to fit the 'backwards' format that it becomes painfully unwieldy. It just doesn't flow. For example, an almost unique trademark of a JD novel is his trick of making you conjure a mental image from his choice of language that, often much later, is shown to be an utterly false image. It's an impressive trick because, in effect, you have fooled yourself and, very often, the whole 'trick' of the story hangs on this device (never better executed than in 'The Coffin Dancer). To overcome this challenge in a backwards plot, JD does something he hasn't done to his readers before; he allows his characters (well, at least one of them) to lie to us in their inner thoughts. He excuses this, very weakly in my view, at the very end (the real end, not the end-put-at-the-beginning) by reference to 'method acting'.

Furthermore, there is no proper conclusion. The first chapter you read is supposed to be the end of the story but it is immediately evident that this isn't so as there are still events to occur. These events never happen, they are just spoken of as a plan by a character in the concluding pages. Why? Because it's the only way to make everything fit the 'backwards' device.

So, all in all, I felt as though I was participating in a worthy academic experiment rather than enjoying a cracking good detective novel. If anyone else had written this, I would have awarded one star only. If you haven't read any JD before,please don't start with this one; select from any of his earlier works as this one would put you off forever. Well done Mr D, you've proven that you can write a detective novel backwards, but why?

5.0 out of 5 stars Stick with it, 7 Oct 2013
Maureen Mearns "helibitch1" (Norfolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The October List (Kindle Edition)
Love Jeffrey Deaver but this was a challenge to read. Starting at the end was difficult at first and it took me a long time to get into but it is worth it, very clever writing,well done Mr Deaver.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting structure but ultimately its not worth the struggle., 7 Oct 2013
R. Finney "blakpawn" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The October List (Kindle Edition)
So the story is told in reverse chronology. This puts an additional cognitive load on the reader which is not pleasant, you spend a lot of time being too in the dark trying to connect dots that havent been explained yet. I appreciate that this is true of many books but one of the benefits in telling tales forwards is that characters are introduced and our understanding of them grows progressively. In this book it feels like they spring up from nowhere and are introduced later, it's not fun. There is a good twist towards the end which I liked but I cant help feel it would have been better written forwards and the twist hidden in an alternate mechanism. Nonetheless I suspect the author loved the challenge.

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't like it, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: The October List (Kindle Edition)
I like Jeffery deaver's work but it seemed to me he was just trying to be different and for me it didn.t work. As a story it had no development. In fact completely baffling and not at all memorable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep at it, it's worth the effort, 6 July 2014
Stanley Knife (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The October List (Kindle Edition)
Deaver's most experimental work is a logical tour de force: how do you write a thriller, complete with cliffhangers, unexpected twists and turns and a couple of game-changing finales, with the story told backwards? The reverse story trick has been attempted only a very few times before - Pinter's Betrayal, the film Memento, and a Sondheim musical - and that's mainly because it's so hard to make it work.

It takes a while to get into the story, and for the first few chapters you really have to concentrate. Who are all these people? Once you've seen the denouement in the first chapter, how can you possibly follow the story backwards? But stick with it. Once you've read about a quarter of the book you'll find the reverse storytelling starts to make a lot of sense. There are many clever moments, as events that take place turn out, in retrospect, to have been very different acts from what you originally thought; and the twists that happen in reverse are as clever as any that take place along a more conventional timeline.

I've given this four stars because the book does take a while to get into. It's not an easy read for the first few chapters, and it's easy to find yourself floundering - but don't give up - this is Deaver at the top of his game. This is a book that really repays your efforts, and the ingenuity of the last few chapters provides an all-explaining, satisfying conclusion. As soon as you finish, you'll find yourself starting again to see how cleverly it as all put together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book this liked I, 5 July 2014
This review is from: The October List (Hardcover)
Why is this five-star? Well, this is the first time I have read a book and immediately sat down to write something to encourage others to read it. It's a Memento-like experiment in writing and it worked for me.

I wasn't sure after the first few of chapters, but I trusted JD enough to carry on. Then I got hooked and followed the twists and reveals until the end (or should that be the beginning?). Of course I then had to read the first chapter again to unlock the final mystery (the clue to which came at the very end).

I look forward to reading it again in a few months when I am sure I will appreciate all the stuff that didn't seem relevant the first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars October list, 1 July 2014
This review is from: The October List (Kindle Edition)
Very strange reading it back to front.
Deaver at his best

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

The October List
The October List by Jeffery Deaver (Hardcover - 26 Sep 2013)
12.00