Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 June 2015
Stephen King is one of the most recommended and loved horror novelists, until now I’d only seen two films based on King’s work, so as my first introduction to Stephen King’s novels I selected Carrie.

The first thing that hit me when I started reading Carrie was curiosity as to how similar the novel and film would be. But I quickly forgot about any kind of comparison; as the novel quickly had me engrossed in the narrative and compelled to keep reading right until the very end.

The format of Carrie threw me at first, written from numerous perspectives, jumping between different time frames and interjections written in note format throughout- it certainly wasn’t your typical novel style, and not what I expected. Once passed the first few chapters I had gotten used to the flow of novel- I found the trick was to simply read it, not try to analyse it, not trying to remember what happened next in the film, and not trying to make the flow of events or how they are dictated; fit to any other written style.

I had high expectations for King’s narrative style, his reputation would not be what it is if he couldn’t deliver- and I was not disappointed. His attitude to Carrie’s story is extremely sympathetic, and his true skill in manipulating the reader really shines when by the end of the book it’s still Carrie White that the reader feels sorry for; despite all the death she causes.

Admittedly knowing the ending of the book was slightly disappointing but, reading the run up of events, finding out about Carrie’s history with her mother (much more than you get from the film) was very entertaining, it kept the novel grounded in a recognisable reality, despite its paranormal plot.
Carrie herself is a character which many readers would understand on some level, sharing some of her experiences and emotions and having that connection to the main character is what makes this novel more terrifying- the idea that perhaps you, the reader, could be as destructive a force as Carrie would make you think twice.

Overall Carrie was an enjoyable read, it may not have left me with nightmares but I’m certainly not complaining. The plot was gripping the twists were engaging and for the most part the characters were realistic and believable. If you’re considering trying King’s work I would recommend Carrie as the novel for dipping your toe into the horror genre.
on 25 May 2014
A brilliant novel that has the reader both terrified of carrie but also sympathetic towards her. Some SK novels can be intimidating with their length, but if you want a quick read whilst also enjoying the classic horror of SK this is the book for you!
on 17 January 2015
Carrie White is just a teenaged girl like any other, strip her of her telekenetic abilities and she's a young, immature, innocent girl in more ways than one. She is raised in fear by her overly religious single mother, her father died when she was young. Carrie is the subject of psychological and emotional torture right throughout her years in school, Steven King penned this debut novel so masterfully you cant help but identify with Carrie's pain. The horrible things this young girl went through just move you in inexplicable ways. King dazzled readers with this lethal thriller.

Carrie believes her life was taken a turn for a magnificent change when Tommy, pretty-boy popular boy asks her to the prom but God forbids her mother to let her go, through rebelling Carrie goes to prom. Throughout the book we keenly obeserved strange occurences surroudning Carrie White in times on intense emotional pressure or stress, when she breaks psychologically, her powers, her psychic ablities, powers to do things in this physical realm with her will alone becomes uncontrollable, but Carrie thinks all would be well, its just prom right?

No it wasnt, Chris, a young girl in Carrie's class and a character you cant help but hate comes up with a plot to publicly disgrace Carrie at prom night. The nail-biting suspense, all the chills and thrills reaches its climax in this scene, pigs blood is poured unto Carrie and she breaks, there was only so much this young girl could take. Carrie then unleashes a terrible display of her latent abilities on the towns folk and the prom turns into a bloody masscre, forever etched in history as one of the hallmark massacres in novels and one of King's most finest.

The novel has been adapted for film adaptation several times and King himself as several editions of this book, this international bestselling book is one of the best books of all time.
on 16 March 2007
Well considering that King thought this book wasnt worth publishing it has done surprisingly well, wouldnt you agree?

King has a knack of relating fiction to real-life and this is no exception. Teen bullying, a girls first entry into womanhood, it is all real and for most of us, scary. King in turn makes his stories scary to reflect this by using real problems.

Carrie is a teenager with 'normal' difficulties at school. She however does have an underlying power, a well hidden dark side that is waiting to burst out. And burst out it does in one hell of a blast, and a hell of a climax.

The characters are easy to relate to and you willl be forgiven if you think they are actually based on real people, such is Kings talent. This book is, for the most part, an 'easy' read. The plot is clear and simple to follow. However just because the plot is simple doesnt mean it is any less engrossing. And get engrossed into Carrie's world you will.

A super read that is quite linear with fewer twists and turns than in Kings larger books, but exciting none the less.

He is truly the epitome of modern horror.
on 11 January 2014
Carrie is a wonderful book that has a heroin that is also a villain
The reader is captivated by her destructive power but still holds a vast amount of pity for her. In a strange way the reader can identify themselves with Carrie, even though circumstances in her 'life' would differ from the readers, there probably would have been a time in the readers life were they were bullied or felt lonely (though maybe not to the extent of Carrie) and they themselves have wished they could have gotten there revenge (again prob not to the extent lol). I would recommend this book as a brilliant tale and definitely one that everyone should read.
on 3 March 2016
Carrie is frightening at times, the mother daughter relationship is disturbing and the ending destruction is described in a gruesome way. I have been generous as this is Kings debut, but it has problems. The scenes were better in the film adaptation and gave it better structure, this book goes through news articles and autobiographies revealing everything before it happens, not my favourite but still a classic.
on 7 May 2014
I love Stephen king and wanted to start collecting all his books again. So why not start with his first novel.

Brilliant book and very powerful,classic King at his best and it never gets old.
As with virtually everything Stephen King has written, this is enjoyable reading. It is also a quick-read for anyone who is intimidated by the length of some of the author's later works. I think the basic premise of this story appeals to many people because Carrie is, in many ways, the ultimate underdog, a girl terrorized by an insanely religious mother, victimized and persecuted by her peers, and alienated from the world around her. Everyone in life has been a victim or a bully, and I think the story of Carrie White does impart an important lesson to the folks out there who are treating someone they know the way that Carrie's classmates treated her. For those of us more sympathetic to Carrie's plight--the high school "outcasts," the "poor," the unpopular, the nerds, etc.--the story really matters here. Many of us daydream about the revenge we will exact from those kids who made fun of us all those years ago, and Carrie White shows us that revenge is not all it is cracked up to be. Carrie's "triumph" costs many innocent people their lives, and it doesn't really do a whole lot of good for Carrie herself.
You don't need me to tell you why you should read or re-read this book. This is Stephen King. By this point in time, unless you are just coming of age, you have already read this book if you are one of King's legions of fans or even if you were ever curious about this man's phenomenal success. Even more of you have probably seen the movie. While the movie was pretty faithful to the book, not even the magic of cinema can convey the true weight and atmosphere of this (or any other) book. Carrie is also King's first published novel. This is very important to would-be writers--clearly, King was still learning his craft when he wrote this novel, and thus the process of reading it provides any potential writer with a great learning experience. The format here is significantly different from King's more mature work. The story is told through several "voices," including a third-person account from a "survivor," extracts from research articles and newspaper items based on the events, as well as a more traditional author's voice. Thus, we get several perspectives on the characters and events. The story is not as fluid as it might be because we switch from one viewpoint to another as the tale unfolds. While I much prefer the style of King's later works, especially in terms of getting inside a character, King still infuses Carrie's world with realism and believability, proving that he can create masterful atmosphere and mood with any number of literary tools.
on 31 October 2013
'She sat quite still, letting the noise wash over her like surf. They were still all beautiful and there was still enchantment and wonder, but she had crossed a line and now the fairy tale was green with corruption and evil.'

---My thoughts---

I chose to read this book as part of a Halloween reading challenge, as I've heard a lot about Carrie, both about the book and the film. I actually watched the original film while I was about 75% through the book, so I could notice the differences between the two. I must say that if you've seen the film and haven't read the book, you should definitely read it; the ending is a lot more interesting than the film.

The way this story is told was confusing at first, as it's told through various points of view and also in different tenses. Although I at first found this quite confusing, it wasn't long before I fully understood what was going on and could really start to enjoy the story. The story is told first person, mostly through Carrie, but also through other characters, such as Carrie's mother and other students from Carrie's school. I really enjoyed this aspect, as I was able to get into the heads of the other characters and see the events through their eyes, as well as Carrie's.

It was the varying tenses that I found most interesting, however, as between the first person narratives, there was also extracts from magazines, newspapers, books and interviews talking about Carrie in the past tense, after the 'incident' as it's referred to. I found this to be very effective at keeping me in suspense, as these extracts never went into any details, but kept referring to an incident that occurred involving Carrie. I won't go into too much detail on this point, as I don't want to give anything away for people that are unfamiliar with the story.

Although Carrie is supposed to be 'evil', I found myself feeling sorry for her, as she had a difficult life between being bullied at school and being bullied by her strict mother. I think that the real evil characters in this story are the people that drove Carrie over the edge with their cruelty.

I really enjoyed this story, and thought it was told in a really interesting way. This was my first Stephen King book, after hearing a lot of good things about his stories, and I wasn't disappointed. It was creepy, thought-provoking and had enough suspense to keep me coming back for more. If you're looking for a new horror book to read, or you've seen the film, I'd recommend you read this.
on 23 December 2012
A very intriguing portrayal of TK & the possibilities of such. Also a very harrowing account of the types of behaviour found in every school, from both perspectives. I wonder what would happen if this book was brought into the curriculum??