on 24 January 2014
Zoe Harcombe is a star!
I used to be able to lose weight easily with weight watchers, but then I had to keep dropping my 'points' and increasing my workouts to achieve a plateau, I became really ill in the quest to lose weight and couldn't understand why I wasn't dropping the pounds as I was barely eating anything, sweating for over an hour a day and avoiding social occasions to avoid fatty foods/alcohol.
Then randomly I found the Harcombe plan online and decided to give it a go and bought this book. With the lure of being able to eat bacon and eggs, lots of meat and veg, I thought it would be good to try.
I haven't looked back. The weight loss is incredible if you stick to it. And you don't starve - Zoe explains why the plan works and goes into great detail on why low calorie and low fat diets cause you to be fat. Everything she says makes sense! When I read her history it mirrored mine with regards to the absent weight loss! She refers to scientific papers which prove that sugar is the enemy in the 21st century, not fat. Even if you don't go on the plan, the science behind it is a good read!
Phase 1 can be tricky and by day 3 you might feel really ill, but by day 4 and 5 you start to feel energy you never knew you had. I don't get hungry any more, I don't get sugar highs then the awful lows. With the carb allowance per day, you don't get the craving that carb-free diets can give you.
I need to be on the phase 1 plan for a couple of months as I had nearly all of the symptoms she lists for the big 3! It's no trouble at all though. When you see the weight dropping off, your clothes start getting baggy and the compliments start rolling in, when you walk past the cake/bread aisle in the supermarket and can carry on walking. I think I may struggle on phase 2 though as there's more to think about when planning your meals! 3 weeks in I have lost over a stone, my hair and skin is soft for once and I can go out to a pub and order a meal knowing that it's within the plan!
For fruit lovers it may be a problem as you aren't allowed to eat any on phase one, but you can introduce them back gradually. If you are vegetarian it may be a struggle. But for meat lovers it's great!
As I shop just for myself I find it cheap as well, my week's spend this week was under £15 - honestly, when you only eat 3 meals a day and don't need to snack to keep cravings at bay, you don't pay as much for food as before the plan!
on 1 September 2013
Excellent can't quite believe how easy it is to follow and I have lost 7lbs in two weeks, YEAH !!
on 26 May 2013
I have some of Zoe's other books but while this one does lay out the diet again and the reasons behind it, I think there is extra insight and extra help in this one.
on 14 June 2013
An excellent book from Zoe full of useful tips and a very easy read compared to some other books by Zoe which I find a bit long winded. Recommend for anyone trying to loose weight
on 25 July 2013
Was sceptical but after just 5 weeks I am already 12 pounds lighter. Phase 1 is tough but after that its easy enough.
on 3 July 2013
Can't put my finger on exactly why, but after reading several diet books and following various plans, this just finally clicked for me - 3 weeks in and 9lb down!
Simple to follow, no nonsense approach - give it a go!
on 13 September 2013
This plan is amazing! I do actually feel as though this is it for life. No fads, no fuss, no processed rubbish, just good food! In 7 weeks I have lost 1st 8lbs without even really trying. Amazing! Highly recommended
on 1 July 2013
Another brilliant book from Zoë, this lady has saved my life LITERALLY! ... If you do one good thing for yourself this year then buy this book.. I am 3 stone down since January and feel amazing. thank you
on 31 May 2015
Been following this for 30 days and have lost 17lbs. Easy to do but felt terrible for the first few days due to caffeine withdrawal. Bought it because a friend recommended it to me. Very pleased so far.
on 27 July 2013
I found this eating plan easy to follow and it did take away my cravings for chocolate. I however found the eggs also the amount of salad I was eating aggravated my IBS . My fault not the diet.