4.0 out of 5 stars The journey's end???
Published 19 months ago by K. G. A. Alavi

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published 21 months ago by Sunbedder

4.0 out of 5 stars The journey's end???, 7 Mar 2013
K. G. A. Alavi (London, England) - See all my reviews
I did like this book, but straight from the double margins I knew it was going to be quite short. By the end of the book I did feel I got to know Jessica Ennis. She come across as a humble, dedicated, hardworking, and most of all relatable and likeable. This book is written for the general public in mind you do not have to be interested in sports to read and enjoy this book. This book is a great insight not only to Jessica but coping from acceptance to fame. Becoming an icon but staying grounded.

There are two main reason I could not give this book 5 stars is I though the book was a little too PC for me. An example would be Bradley Wiggins book In Pursuit of Glory in here you feel the raw emotion Bradley does in the heat of the moment. Swearing aside, (though Jessica does admit she is as susceptible to the occasional F-bomb as the rest of us), you feel his passion for his sport coming off the page. Jessica I have no doubt is just as passionate about her sport, people, and doping issues, but because her conscientious nature you do not get the same feel in her writing. She does also take the high road on issues of her bullying she talks about how bad and awkward it made her feel, but she does not name and shame them. She is just a better person them me, this would have been me taking revenge saying look at me now.

The other reason is I also would have liked to know some of the specific exercises that Jessica does. She goes into more detail of this when talking about running the 800 metres, e.g. running shorter distances at great speed with shorter recovery times. She does not really say how she trained for the other events she gives a broad over view but no specifics. She does say how she tweaked her techniques but being interested in sports I would like to know a bit more of the exercises.

The book is about the 2012 London Olympics, her hard fought journey to it and eventually winning. She mentions all the people how helped her along the way, some of her competitors who fall by the way side as life moves on for many of them but because of her dedication, sacrifice and focus she manages to carry on to achieve her dream. Appendix at the back contain and explanation of the points systems and all Jessica's career stats to the 2012 London Olympics. A good read, and by the end off it Jessica's honestly will make the reader feel more like a friend then a fan.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 Jan 2013
I am a big fan of Jessica Ennis and I am so hopeful she will continue to rack up the titles and UK records (and maybe world records) but I think this account just does'nt do her justice. On the one hand there are some inspirational snippets from her life to Olympic Champion but on the other hand the brevity of the book and how some topics are skimmed over left me disappointed.

As others have highlighted, the padding out of the book with double margins, blank pages and several pages devoted to her tables of record , the reader is left with a scant commentary. I read the book in four days of bed-time reading.

It felt like the book was rushed out which may be unfair but compared with other Christmas releases this lacks depth. To deal with Jessica's experience of providing drug samples in a few pages and the Olympic experience in such brevity is short changing the experience.

That said, still worth a read to get to know her better but if only Broadbent had imposed himself more on the content you may have a more in-depth account of some really interesting topics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jessica Ennis, 14 Sep 2013
This was an amazing book! It was very interesting and it included lots of detail about her journey to winning Gold. I loved the pictures inside and the records at the back were very good! I would definitely recommend this book, I loved it! A must-read!

2.0 out of 5 stars great athlete, disappointing biography, 10 Mar 2013
Dominic Miller (brighton) - See all my reviews
There's no doubt that Ennis is a superb athlete and a fantastic role model but this book is just plain dull. Having read the book cover to cover in no more than about 3 hours (not because I read particularly fast, but because the content is so thin) I don't think I know much more about her, and her life, than I did before I read the book. The details about how she initially got invoved in athletics and her early days in the sport are particularly poorly covered. As is her relationship with her coach Tony Minichello, who sounds a very interesting character and who merits far more coverage than he receives. The book feels like it was rushed, and that Jessica was reluctant to say anything too controversial for fear of upsetting anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jessica Ennis. Unbelievable., 9 Feb 2013
I enjoyed this book, well worth reading. It is obvious that Jessica is 100% committed.What more can I say. Just a good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice easy read., 26 Dec 2012
I really enjoyed reading Jess' book. It was a nice easy read that gave a good insight into the route and dedication Jess has to her chosen sport. A great sports woman with a life long passion for athletics, she is also quite humble and comes across as a normal woman who sometimes struggles with her confidence but keeps coming back for more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, 22 Dec 2012
Mr. I. S. Broadhead (Lincoln, England) - See all my reviews
After reading reviews on Amazon that everyone gave this book 5 stars I was really looking forward to reading it. I have to say that I was left somewhat underwhelmed by it compared to recent autobiographies I have read. With about 40 of the 242 pages containing no writing at all you would feel cheated if you'd paid full price for it. This is only a review of the book thou and in my opinion Jessica Ennis is still a wonderful athlete and a better role model for girls today than all the reality TV stars put together.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is UNbelievable, 10 Dec 2012
I have followed the progress of Jessica from when she first came into view on our televisions, her bubbly outlook spoke volumes making her instantly likable. I am not a young man who is taken by her looks, I am 77 years old, and watching this young woman in action is better than all the tablets I am on. She is not only good at every thing she does but very determined to do better.
The book is very frank, she tells it as it is, her early years were quite traumatic but her breeding pulled her through, I think her english mother gives her grit but the athletic prowess comes from her father, they should both get a medal for giving us Jessica Olympic Champion.
Anyone with interest in athletics or people should read this book, It is first class.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a Golden Book..., 30 Dec 2012
Mr. S Bailey (Huddersfield, UK) - See all my reviews
As an avid Jessica fan for a few years now, I like others were looking forward to reading her book and finding out more about her and her journey, especially since her injuries before Beijing and how she coped with it to bring Olympic glory in London.
With Jessica's nature being fairly quiet, secretive and a will to stay away from the spot light which I credit her enormously for being it doesn't bode well for a autobiography. What it leaves you with is a 250 page book in large font and many chapter pages with subjects being dusted over. Don't get me wrong its a nice read and you really feel a strong connection with Jessica and her personality however when only a handful pages are written about key areas of her life you have to wonder why bother.
I get the feeling that this is probably not something that Jessica wanted to do. Her personality as I say is very secretive, she hates the spot light and still views herself as a 'Girl from Yorkshire' and so therefore was probably the publishers who wanted to cash in rather than Jessica's willingness to write a book. You can almost sense Jessica at times wondering 'Should I include this in my book?'
I love Jessica and what she has done and how she has done it but you won't learn much from this book and in whole was a disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars From Tadpole to Golden Poster Girl, 20 Nov 2012
ACB(swansea) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Jessica Ennis was born in Sheffield in 1986. She describes herself as 'an ordinary girl from a run-of-the-mill street in Sheffield'. At primary school she spent her nights crying over her diary knowing that she would be met at the school gates next day by bullies. She was taunted for her size and background status. Her father, Vinnie, had arrived from Jamaica aged 12. He married her 'rebel mother', Alison after meeting her in 1984. 'Small and scraggy', Jessica not surprisingly had no self-confidence. Moving to secondary school took the bullies with her but her saviour turned out to be sport. Following a summer sports' camp , and when aged 13, she was 'spotted' by Toni Minichiello (Chell), who became her life-long coach despite a love-hate relationship accompanied by the inevitable tears, pain and joy. She went to Sheffield University to study psychology, gaining an honours degree.

Chell was moving Jessica carefully through the junior pentathlon and heptathlon scene at international meetings into the seniors' forum. Kelly Sotherton was British number one and a bronze medallist in Athens. A blunt woman who spoke her mind and was not afraid of the media. She approached Jessica at a meeting and said, "I've just called you tadpole to the press". Annoyed to say the least, the name stuck for several years, but fired up the competitive gene in Jessica. She candidly reveals her feelings behind the smiles and tears.

Surrounded by experts in their respective fields, 'Team Ennis' took on the very best heptathletes in the world with Jessica becoming European and World champion and MBE. The gruelling training and never-say-die attitude took its toll. Ankle and foot fractures forced her out of the 2008 Beijing games. Her recovery was a difficult and depressing time but her family and team worked hard to prepare her for the major goal, London 2012. Chell told her 'success has many friends but failure is an orphan'.

Sponsorship and 'glamour shoots' with media attention began pouring in as fame and popularity increased. This did not distract Jessica from her ultimate objective. The preparation for competitions and the games themselves are vividly described by Jessica in the book with the inevitable swings of confidence and fear of failure. 16 years of sacrifice, dedication and endeavour led to the ultimate prize. Much of her progress regarding measures of personal athletic standards are presented in detail. More of her personal life in and outside athletics with anecdotes, of which there must be plenty, would have added to the overall picture of Jessica to accompany her focussed athletic experiences.

A true inspiration and example to young people to overcome setbacks to achieve whatever their aim. A wonderful athlete, recently voted Sportswoman of the Year. Engaged to Andy Hill who she met at school. A fitting time in the post-Olympian 'feel good factor' hangover to produce an enjoyable read. Full of colour photographs ending with a career summary of major achievements in the appendix. The reader knows at the end, Jessica's achievements and the story leading to them. Excellent autobiography. Read the book and it becomes achievable and believable.

Jessica Ennis: Unbelievable - From My Childhood Dreams to Winning Olympic Gold