5.0 out of 5 stars Should be a required college text.
The Velominati have compiled in one handy and humorous volume the entire anthropology of the dedicated club rider.

Published 13 months ago by Harry Neuwirth (hneuwirth@mari...

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition is bad
Published 5 months ago by Gadget

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be a required college text., 23 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Rules: The Way of the Cycling Disciple (Hardcover)

When today's club ride started our group was joined by a youngish woman I had not met before. I could see that she was properly kitted out in black bibs and a leZyne pump peeking out of her jersey pocket. No European posterior man satchel was to be found on her clean and silent steed. Her tires were properly aligned over the wheels. Her barely padded saddle was slammed back, level, and 8 cm above her bar tops. The appointed hour of departure arrived and she, sitting casually deliberate on her top tube, suggested we delay not even a second. No sooner had we rolled out than my worst fears were realized. Despite her modesty ("Oh, I only ride once a week and I'm not comfortable in groups"), she quickly served large helpings of the V; Dropping us like bad habits on the first inclines, swooping down off camber switchbacks and taking her turns in the wind with nary a thought.

Having just read "The Rules" I recognized her for what she was, The Woman with the Hammer and a true Velominata Rule Fundamentalist.

THIS is anthropology. Leave the kinship rituals of long forgotten aboriginals to others and take a couple of hours to learn about your neighbors. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOL in the real sense, 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Rules: The Way of the Cycling Disciple (Hardcover)
Just try not to laugh at this book. If you're a hard core cyclist you'll realise that every word is shamefully (or joyously) true. If you're not then what are you doing with your life?

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition is bad, 30 Jan 2014
Bought this book on my Kindle and had to give up on it. I am a keen cyclist but now in my 60's with failing eyesight I am just unable to read this book on my Kindle I have had no problems with any other books just this one, the font is small and we are unable to enlarge it and the shading appears to be all over the place. If the book is as good as ppl are making out I will probably end up buying the hardcopy but at the moment I am feeling ripped off

5.0 out of 5 stars The new bible, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Rules: The Way of the Cycling Disciple (Hardcover)
Brilliant book which explains lots of cycling history and etiquette.... A copy should be sent to every cyclist in the UK!

5.0 out of 5 stars In Merckx We Trust, 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Rules: The Way of the Cycling Disciple (Hardcover)
If you are interested in cycling, and want to read from those with a passion for the sport, and the way of life, then this is the book for you. If you seek knowledge of excellence, history, heritage, culture, dedication, and anything else, related to dishing out hurt from your legs as you peddle just that bit harder, then this is the book for you. If you want to be amused, amazed, entertained, and suprised then this is the book for you.

It is a beautifully bound, sacred text, handed down from Mount Velomis. Buy it, read it, treasure it.

Vive la Vie Velominatus.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are a cyclist without a sense of humour or interest in cyclesport please put this book down!, 10 Jun 2014
S. P. Jefferies "BookWorm3000" (Warwick, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a hilarious and irreverent view of cycling behaviour. I've laughed out load at several sections in this book, especially the one on whether 'to shave or not to shave'. This book contains of mix of genuine advice for conduct on the bike, cyclesport history and humour; probably generated at the expense of the type of humourless kill-joy who turns up at cycle event on their 5000 road bike with little or no regard for his or her fellow cyclists. The road can be a 'jungle' so we have to look out for each out there, have a read of this book and heed it's meaning - enjoy riding your bike no matter how hard the road! And if you can only remember three rules make sure it is these ones - #5, #9 and #10!

5.0 out of 5 stars Obey the Rules, 23 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Rules: The Way of the Cycling Disciple (Hardcover)
With tongue very firmly planted in several different cheeks, the rules offer guidance for a cycling devotee.
Funny, factual (sort of!) & well worth the price of admission. The Keepers have managed to take the website & rolled it into a fantastic looking book.
Highly recommended & should be added to your list of books that must be read before you die.

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't read it on a Kindle, 30 Oct 2013
N. Lee (Beverley, UK) - See all my reviews
It is impossible to read this book on a Kindle. It isn't in the format of most books and seems to be similar to a PDF file. The size of the text cannot be changed and if you zoom in then you have to pan across the document on every line. Having said that, I have managed to read it on an IPad and it's a good read for the dedicated cyclist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cyclist? Read this book., 7 July 2013
This review is from: The Rules: The Way of the Cycling Disciple (Hardcover)
A most valuable addition to a cycling library. No, the most valuable book on road cycling. Except for maybe "Tomorrow, We Ride" by
Jean Bobet.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rules, 18 July 2013
This review is from: The Rules: The Way of the Cycling Disciple (Hardcover)
New to cycling I had a desire to do things right. To tread lightly with all due respect to tradition and to those well versed in this wonderful sport. The Rules gave me the framework with which I could confidently move forward.

Highly recommended.

The Rules: The Way of the Cycling Disciple
The Rules: The Way of the Cycling Disciple by The Velominati (Hardcover - 20 Jun 2013)
11.56
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available