5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book in a series
Published 19 months ago by lizthephys

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading.
A good book to relax with on holiday. Even better if you are in Provence! Some in sight into village life in France.
Published 8 months ago by Bridges

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book in a series, 9 May 2013
The third and in my opinion best book in the series describing the "goings on" in a small French commune. It's definitely better to read the series in order because you get to meet the characters in turn and really feel you get to know them! I tried really hard to limit myself to 3 chapters a day, but by the end I couldn't hold on - the drama overtook me and I finished it in a week!Really really enjoyed the book and the series, and would highly recommend, especially to anyone who loves France.Am now just waiting for the 4th...........!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to go there now!, 4 May 2013
The third book about village life in the Pyrenees. I have read all 3 books one after the other. After reding L'Auberge, the first book in the trilogy i just wanted more.
It is best i think to read L'Auberge and The Epicerie before reading the Postmistress so that you become familliar withe the beautiful setting and and the colourful characters that make up the village of Fogas in the Pyrenees. (Fogas of course being purely fictional!)
As the pages unfold you are transported to the village and are priveliged to be part of its gossip, scheming, politics and romances.
A beautiful Trilogy of stories, well observed, well written and wonderfully crafted to keep you on the egde of you seat one moment and laughing out loud in others.
These stories would make a brilliant t.v series. I for one cannot wait for the next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!!!, 15 Jun 2013
I have thoroughly enjoyed this adventure into the French Pyrenees. I feel like one of the community now that I have read all three of these books, there are so many lovely characters. This book has two story lines running through it, you can imagine the Postmistress and her Mother being typically loud, arm waving, French women and getting drawn into their lives quite unintentionally. I also liked that Official Bear Man his story is not what you expect and is all the more enjoyable because of it. I can't wait for the next installment as I feel quite lost without the commune to read about.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 20 Jun 2013
I would recommend Julia Stagg's books for an undemanding yet satisfying and enjoyable read. I read all three and enjoyed both the characters and the setting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading this book was like returning to a favourite holiday location, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: The French Postmistress (Fogas Chronicles) (Paperback)
In The French Postmistress, the third book in the Fogas Chronicles by Julia Stagg, the focus shifts to Véronique, the postmistress, and her frustration at the speed the reopening of the village post office is moving at. She is full of ideas to keep the service at the heart of the community, but is anyone there to listen and support her? Fogas is, as usual, a busy little place and with the controversial government plans to reintroduce bears to the mountains things in the community get even more heated and divided than normal. All the characters we have met in the two previous books L'Auberge and The Parisian's Return are back, plus a few new ones to throw some spice and spanners into village life. The Mayor, Serge, is still grieving for his wife and seems to have lost interest in village politics, but maybe there is someone who can put the fire back in his belly. There is also a special guest appearance by The Tour de France that provides the villagers with a welcome distraction.

I am a teeny, tiny bit of a HUGE Julia Stagg fan, so was very excited to be sent a copy of this book by the publishers and return to the mountain village I feel I know so well. Julia lived in the Pyrenees region that she writes about for many years and you can feel her obvious love for the area in her writing.

It was so good to be back in Fogas, the twists and turns of the mountain roads felt familiar, Julia's scenery descriptions bring the pages to life and her little village community has truly captured me. Her writing is such that at many times since reading it, something I've seen or somewhere I've been has triggered my brain into transporting me to Fogas and wondering (as you do with friends you meet on holiday) what everyone is getting up to at the moment. I can't wait for book number four that rumour has will be out sometime next year.

If you like books set in rural France you will love following the life of the villagers in Fogas.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 16 Feb 2014
I've just finished reading this third book in the series, and couldn't put it down. Maybe it's because I'm living a valley or two over from Fogas country, but I love how Julia has treated the "bear issue" which is such a sensitive subject in these parts, and she had me crying along with the kids of Fogas at certain points. This is such a beautiful region and Julia manages to combine a love of the Ariege with a talent for writing books you just want to keep reading. Here's to the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 27 Sep 2013
A combination of humour, drama and romance with a twist ,combined with a beautiful insite to the area and culture.Hope there is another book on the way!

5.0 out of 5 stars great fun, 9 Oct 2013
I absolutely adore tales of Fogas. They are so funny and warm and once I start them can't put them down. Slow life in little village in Pyrenees full of different characters and their secrets.
I cried over dead bear's body just like children of the commune and Tour the France for the very first time wasn't the dullest event ever...

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Great Read, 17 Aug 2013
This is the 3rd of the Tales of Village Life in the Pyrenees I have read. I'm completely into the characters and coming from reading the first it's like visiting old friends. I hope you have another Julia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 16 Aug 2013
Love these books , read all three & got to know all the regular characters. Can't wait for the next one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The French Postmistress (Fogas Chronicles)
The French Postmistress (Fogas Chronicles) by Julia Stagg (Paperback - 12 Sep 2013)