5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly Pointless
After reading entry 19, I decided that the first thing I would do after finishing this book is write a long and pointless review for it on Amazon.

Published on 12 Oct. 2012 by whatdoiputhere

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat Underwhelming
Given how unsatisfying most TV tie-in books are, especially non-fiction ones, it was foolish to get my hopes up too much for this book. But this is Pointless, one of the most charming and funny shows on TV! I'm massive fan of the show, so of course I was quite excited by the prospect of this book.

Inevitably, it doesn't quite deliver. There are certainly good...
Published on 3 Jan. 2013 by Martin S. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly Pointless, 12 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The 100 Most Pointless Things in the World: A pointless book written by the presenters of the hit BBC 1 TV show (Hardcover)

I've been unreasonably excited to get my hands on 'The 100 Most Pointless Things in the World' ever since discovering it was being written (thank you, twitter), and now that it has arrived and I've read the entire thing from cover to cover in one sitting, I can gladly inform you that it exceeded all expectations. Xander and Richard, the fabulously charming, intelligent, witty and handsome gentlemen that they are, have really outdone themselves.

They make some surprisingly valid points about many things you've never even thought about, and while I disagree with some of them (*cough* readysaltedcrispsarethebestflavour *cough*) in most cases they really are spot on. And they're very funny too. Each of the 100 things has a short section dedicated to it which has been written up by one of the two men, indicated by whichever of their disembodied faces stares out at you from beside the chapter title. This is a system I failed to recognise until about a third of the way through the book, which is why I'm mentioning it in the review, as a heads-up.

As well as this, there are even some nice quiz questions and pointless facts, and even some cryptic clues for anybody who no longer values their sanity of free time. Luckily there are also answers in the back.

One final note to Mr Osman, just in case he ever chances upon this: Don't act innocent - I've been to a Pointless recording and I had a remarkably good view of your very brightly coloured rainbow socks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 8 Nov. 2012
I actually counted down the days until this book was released and I was not disappointed. A fantastically funny countdown of Richard and Xander's 100 most pointless things - if you enjoy Richard's rants on the show then you'll love this book. I downloaded the Kindle version and was curious as to how the Q&A parts would work but its fine, you just click the link and it redirects you to the answer. Also there are a few hidden gems in this book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good fun read, 30 Oct. 2012
I laughed so much reading this book, its really clever and funny. A lot of interesting facts too, random stuff that I've been telling everyone I know!
The best bit is that you can share various topics with whoever you want (ie. shouting at football on tv came in handy one day...!)
There is a few questions and quizzy bits that are fun for the family to play, I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys pointless or just enjoys being entertained!

5.0 out of 5 stars So good it gets a zero, 26 Jan. 2013
This book is not pointless. In fact it is full of good points very well made and in a way that had me frequently laughing uproariously and reciting bits to anyone who would listen. Even the chapter headings make me laugh. It is not just 'one of those books based on a series you enjoy that will be a good extra pressie at Christmas/Birthdays to pad out the more expensive items'. Oh no. It is clever, hilarious and packed with facts and compulsive quizes.

The pictures that denote the author of each chapter are a nice touch but not necessary as it is impossible not to hear Richard Osman's voice as he denounces pandas or razors (and their increasing blade-age) or any such beef that has you nodding along gleefully. Likewise Alexander Armstrong's jovial flights of fancy have his DNA (Deoxyribonucleic acid - well done if you got that at home) all over them.

I highly recommend this book and suggest you don't relegate it to the bathroom.

One final point to Mr Osman - how would we cope at the '99p shop' without 1p pieces?

5.0 out of 5 stars A pointless review, 13 Dec. 2012
If you like the quiz show, then you will like this little book. Enhance your pointless knowledge.
Great for the after Xmas dinner fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clever and very amusing, 17 Feb. 2013
I bought this for a gift at Christmas and wasn't sure how it would be received. I didn't need to worry it kept the recipient laughing all over Christmas. Richard and Alexander are both very clever and this book is well worth the money

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 Nov. 2012
L. Johnston - See all my reviews
After learning of this book's existence from Richard Osman's Twitterings I was keen to get my hands on it as a gift for a friend who is a massive fan of the show. Of course being the curious person I was, I read only the first couple of `pointless things' (one of these being the non-introduction) before deciding I needed my own copy. I picked this up at one of the two book signings Osman and Armstrong attended and can confirm that they are just as polite and charming as they appear on the TV.

The 100 sections on various pointless subjects are concise, to the point and excellently written. I found myself agreeing with a lot of the points and realising that quite a few things in life are more pointless than you first think. There are also quiz-type questions, the answers to which you can find at the back of the book. Oh I do enjoy books where you find yourself learning and laughing at the same time!

Quite simply this would be an excellent gift to entertain any member of the family or indeed yourself. A quick read, but informative and guaranteed to have you smiling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Central African Republic makes an appearance!, 30 Mar. 2013
Andy Phillips (Leicestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm a big fan of the TV show and watch every episode. I knew that the book couldn't reflect the quiz show, and I didn't want it to, but I was hoping that it would capture its style. In that sense I wasn't disappointed. The book reads as though it was actually written by the two presenters (which probably isn't true for a lot of celebrity authors) and I thought it was pretty funny. The book consists of 100 pointless things chosen by the authors and justified in each case, a bit like 'Room 101' on TV. Whether I agreed with the choices or not, most were enjoyable to read. Some are accompanied by little quiz section (with answers at the back of the book)

The only reason I didn't give the book five stars is that it's quite short. That's OK in itself if it's reflected in the price, but I felt slightly cheated because there is a lot of empty space, large fonts, large spaces between lines etc etc to pad out the book a bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 6 Feb. 2013
When I saw this book I knew it was the perfect gift for my 13 year old son who loves the tv programme and also retains masses of useless facts. He had read it within days of getting it - another bonus (getting him to read!)

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat Underwhelming, 3 Jan. 2013

Inevitably, it doesn't quite deliver. There are certainly good things about it. It's actually been written by the show's two hosts Xander Armstrong and Richard Osman (which is more than you can say about the fifty billion QI books out there) and their voices and humour definitely come through on the page. The premise is a good as well, a run down of 100 pointless things being a good structure in which to light-heartedly whinge and mock things.

The trouble is that the book feels very slight and phoned in. A lot of the 100 entries are very short (and that's ignoring the comically short, one line entries for some things, a joke which is unfortunately over-used a tad) and don't really seem to get going anywhere. When Armstrong or Osman do get stuck into a topic, like Osman talking about 'toner', it's a lot of fun. But an awful lot of this book feels like padding. Osman reuses the cryptic clue fifty US states quiz he did on Twitter earlier in 2012, which is fair enough I suppose, not everyone's on Twitter. Many chapters are just questions reused from the TV show though, with a scant few lines introducing them. Given that quite a lot of the people reading the book will have seen the show, it seems a waste of space to repeat them. And if they're that worth repeating, why not do a proper Pointless Quiz Book?

This all makes the book a very quick read. The publishers have nicked every student's trick for making the work seem longer than it actually is - large font, big line spacing, massive paragraph spacing and huge gaps between the chapter titles and actual text. The book runs to a little over 300 pages, but could have easily fitted into half as many as that. It all conspires to make for a brief, familiar, underwhelming read