Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 January 2012
Having spent seven years living in California with her scriptwriter father, our young-woman narrator returns to her family roots in Scotland, only to find that the cousin she thought she'd always loved has taken after his own wayward father and is heavily in debt through gambling. Things don't work out as planned (I can't say more without giving too much away!) but a family friend comes to the rescue.

This is a short novel and not much of a plot, but some good writing, characterization and sense of time (1970) and place.
One serious failing though (otherwise I would have given three stars) - we start off on the beach in California, where we're introduced to a young surfer, a potential love interest, only to have him dropped from the story after a couple of pages, never to return. That's something writers are not supposed to do, and adds to my suspicion that this is a very early novel that didn't get published until later novels sold well.
I really think it would have been in the author's interest to have spent more time on this and made a lot more of the story.
on 16 June 2014
I got the impression from this book that the author was under pressure to produce a novel in a short space of time, compared to Coming Home it really isn't up to scratch, putting all that aside it was pleasant enough to read but I think could have been made into something much more.
on 2 May 2014
After reading The Shell Seekers by the same author, I was looking forward to this book. However, I was disappointed. The storyline and characters were extremely weak and I was surprised when I reached the end because I was waiting for the story to develop, but it just seemed to fizzle out.
on 3 February 2015
This was a great read as usual Rosamunde Pilcher captivates you right from page one. It was as I said in the title a sad happy story and one I shall read over much like the Winter Solstice. May she continue to write such lovely stories. From an avid reader
on 28 March 2014
I have ALWAYS enjoyed books by Rosamunde Pilcher and have read most of them, several more than once. Somehow I had missed this one. I am so glad I found it by accident when I was ordering a new copy of September because I have lost my much loved original. She is a master (mistress?) of description.
on 22 October 2013
Another great book by Rosamund Pilcher. The characters are so real and believable. Never fails to entertain to entertain the reader
on 25 October 2013
A good read. This author's novels are always good to take on holiday or evening in.Will recommend to my friends .
on 1 August 2009
Book in very good condition I love Rosamund Pilcher her books are very good you feel involved with every character she writes about and you feel as though you are there with them you feel the scenery about you and you never want the book to finish you just want more
on 11 September 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to everyone. I love the way that Rosamunde Pilcher can make you believe the characters and absolutely real and I felt I knew them. Great book.
on 26 July 2013
Loved this book. I had forgotten how good Rosamunde Pilcher was at story telling. I found it difficult to put down with all the twists and turns. An excellent read.