5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable reading

2.0 out of 5 stars A THIRD CLASS DEGREE
Published 3 months ago by Evelyn A Silber

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable reading, 9 Dec 2013
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Jill Paton Walsh has taken Dorothy L Sayer's novels onwards after the end of the Second World War and into a more modern age. She has had to adjust her inherited characters to reflect the social changes of the time. In addition, because she writes in the present day she has to reflect present social attitudes more than Sayers did because we expect our modern authors to reflect the way that we think now and reflect it into the past. This is hard going for any writer and presents a lot of issues for a series where class is a very important feature of the story and the setting.

I think that this novel succeeds admirably. Although I have read and loved the original novels for years I am very much enjoying these sequels. I enjoy meeting again the old characters and seeing them change, and also reading a good mystery novel.

I felt that Harriet and Peter were very recognisable and familiar to fans of the series. Their passion is undimmed and they approach things in a more mature light whilst retaining their integrity. I loved the way in which Harriet dealt with her son's lack of academic success and how difficult that Peter found it. I loved Harriet's internal monologue when she recounts how she breaks down social barriers between herself and Bunter to make her feel more comfortable but hasn't the courage to keep them up which would be more acceptable to him. It was a delight to see how they are coming to terms with Peter's new status.

The book is set in Oxford - the setting of my favourite of the original novels Gaudy Night: A Lord Peter Wimsey Mystery (A Lord Peter Wimsey Mystery) but the author also includes lots of references to previous novels and includes plenty of previous characters. The familiarity of the cast and location, and the delight that I felt in meeting them again and seeing what the author had done with them was one of the delights of the novel.

The actual mystery is well enough done but nothing special. I was a bit bemused about what had happened to the police investigation whilst Peter did his own thing. I really couldn't anticipate the ending but I thought that the solution was very much in the spirit of the original novels.

I am a fan of the original series and also these sequels. I found this book absorbing and entertaining. A few continuity errors and a slightly weak plot in no war marred my total enjoyment of the novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Late Scholar, 24 Dec 2013
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
The Duke of Denver - formerly known to everyone as Lord Peter Wimsey - discovers that one of his inherited duties is as visitor to an Oxford college. St Severin's finds itself in the middle of an acrimonious dispute over whether or not to sell a valuable manuscript to finance the purchase of a piece of land which might or might not be worth a lot of money if planning permission can be obtained on it. Peter's task is to make the decision and several of the fellows turn up on his doorstep to try and convince him of the wisdom of either course of action.

Peter and Harriet decide to go to Oxford when Peter hears about the disappearance of the Warden of the college and a series of accidents to the fellows. Both of them soon find themselves in a nest of vipers and are doubtful about who they can trust. I loved the Oxford background and the brief glimpses of some of the characters from Dorothy L Sayers' `Gaudy Night'. I also felt that that Jill Paton Walsh has taken Sayers' memorable characters and developed then in ways which are plausible and satisfying.

Whether or not you like such sequels featuring characters created by other authors is very much a matter of personal preference - I find them entertaining. I found `The Late Scholar' an excellent continuation of the Wimsey novels even though I read it in between reading `Murder Must Advertise' and listening to `The Nine Tailors'. I felt it stood up to comparisons with Sayers' own work very well. Even if some readers do not like the book or feel it does not do Sayers' characters justice perhaps they need to bear in mind that the author is writing with the co-operation of Sayers' estate and with their approval.

2.0 out of 5 stars A THIRD CLASS DEGREE, 3 Jan 2014
After Paton Walsh's two previous successful Wimseys based on Sayers fragments, which I thought good and have re-read with pleasure, this was a real come down. The plot was bizarre without being comic. The whole thing felt written without the attention to period style and accuracy I would have expected. A number of obvious errors such as reference to Miss Lydgate's hairpins when it was Miss de Vine whose hairpins wandered, and the gross error of the enquiry after Lord St George when Peter Wimsey could not have become duke without his death seemed ridiculous coming from so historically informed and astute a person - errors appearing within the space of a couple of pages, seemed to me to betray a lack of real commitment on the part of the author.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read., 31 Dec 2013
I felt a little put off by the negative reviews but went ahead and got it on kindle. I'm glad I did because, inspite of a rather wobbly first page or two, it 'The Late Scholar' is rather good. I even feel it might be better than the previous two J.P.W. Wimseys but, perhaps, that is because she has sent Peter and Harriet back to Oxford so it feels more their natural environment. Give it a go, if you are a Wimsey fan I'm sure you will enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Return of Much Loved Friends, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Late Scholar (Lord Peter Wimsey) (Hardcover)
Once again another welcome return to the world of Lord Peter Wimsey. The sequel books have never been quite as good as the original Dorothy L Sayers work (which I re read every year and remain superb), but I grew up with the characters and it is always very enjoyanle to return to that world and in my opinoin Jill Paton Walsh still captures the feel and rhytym of the original books.

You need to remember that this is now the 1950's not the 1920's but its still like having your favourite uncle over again - he may be 30 years older but he is still and always with be your favourite. Thank you JPW

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Peter wimsey fans, 31 Dec 2013
I lived this. As a detective story it is a bit weak but for fans of the characters it is great fun

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read., 28 Dec 2013
Really enjoyed this. Great to revisit the characters. Enjoyed the references to previous stories. Good plot. Worthy of Sayers herself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheesey plot (pun intended), 19 Jan 2014
Graham R. Hill (Ilkley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The author presumably thought it important to tie this back to Sayers' original novels, hence the return of various modus operandi (I know that's not the plural) from the original books plus a prurient interest in the main characters' sex life. I'm not sure she needed to bother because she's easily a good enough writer to plot and write a Wimsey book from scratch. It's not in the slightest believable, but then it's about a murder solving Duke married to a detective novelist. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it and the only fault I can offer up is that Wimsey on more than one occasion pops into the pub for a ploughman's lunch. Seeing as the term wasn't invented by the Milk Marketing Board until the 1960s he is being somewhat anachronistic which is a shame given all the other period colour that is trowelled on.

3.0 out of 5 stars More Trollope than Sayers, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Late Scholar (Lord Peter Wimsey) (Hardcover)
Plotting runs along conservative and well-trodden paths; an eclectic feel to this novel--it's patchwork although workmanlike, drab but not dull, and always some pleasure in the re-work of Sayers' characters with the projection of their lives in a continuum past 'Busman's Honeymoon' (itself a work of collaboration) Good for a Sunday afternoon beside the fire and let it rain outside.......

3.0 out of 5 stars The Late Scholar, 11 Jan 2014
I have been a devotee of Dorothy Sayers and Peter Wimsey all my life. I am immeasurably grateful to Jill Paton Walsh for continuing the Wimsey legend. Thrones Dominations, Presumption of Death and the Attenbury Emeralds are exemplary and although I enjoyed the Late Scholar, there is something unconvincing about it, it seems not to be of the same high standard of the other three. There are continuity errors and the Wimseys use language that does not sit quite right. However, please can we have more, many more New volumes.

ARRAY(0xac9c0ac8)

The Late Scholar (Lord Peter Wimsey)
The Late Scholar (Lord Peter Wimsey) by Jill Paton Walsh (Hardcover - 5 Dec 2013)
13.39