Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 October 2013
This novel, first published in 1975, tells a two-sided tale of terrorism and counter-terrorism on the desperate and brutal streets of Belfast.

In London, a British cabinet minister is shot dead in front of his wife and children by an IRA assassin. The gunman escapes, returning to obscurity in Belfast, but the British security services can't afford to let the IRA thumb their noses at them like that. The Prime Minister steps in, ordering a new face, a man unknown in Belfast, to go undercover and find the assassin. Enter Harry Brown, a captain in the British Army with previous experience of infiltrating hostile territory.

Seymour weaves the story between the two men. We follow IRA man, Billy Downs, through the assassination and subsequent flight from the British mainland, and back in Belfast as he tries to resume his life. Then we meet Harry as he's plucked from duty in Germany for intensive preparation for an undercover mission sanctioned from the very top, but known about by very few.

Seymour is very good at setting the scene. He makes you feel the tension, the fear and the danger rife in Belfast during the Troubles. He shows both sides of the story, but never comes down on any one side. Throughout the book, Seymour shows how the smallest slip-ups lead to secrets on both sides coming out and the tragic consequences of that happening.

The story is tautly written and that helps carry the momentum through to the final confrontation. I didn't think the book needed some of the clean up at the end, where Seymour ties up loose ends for some of the minor characters, but on the whole he didn't waste time with unnecessary detail. This is well worth a read.
on 4 July 2013
Well researched and well crafted 1st novel. Carrying the reader effortlessly from London's elegant Berkeley Square to the drab streets of downtown Belfast where fear, hatred and oppression are tangible. A real page turner with a believable twist at the end.
on 5 July 2013
I read this novel just after I joined the military in '78 and just loved it. I later served in NI for a total of 4 years, during the 'troubles!' I have now just finished reading it for the second time and it has lost none of the impact, the despair, bravery, treachery and futility of the war on our own doorstep. Many congratulations to Mr. Seymour for writing something that is a 'classic' of its' kind and perhaps a reference book for when, hopefully but doubtfully, the problems over the water are a distant memory
on 17 August 2013
I read this book when it first came out and it is just as good today. Mr Seymour's books are in my opinion all good reads with differing storylines which are presumably based on his earlier life as a TV journalist covering various troubled hotspots.
I would recommend it to anyone who has not read any of his books before as it gives some insight into what was likely to have happened during the "troubles" in Ireland.
on 20 August 2013
I chose this rating because of the true facts within the book. Having been there at that particular time I was transported back to the
names and events of the districts, streets etc,.knowing them to be true. No more needs to be added about the province except that hopefully it will never ever rear its ugly head again...............
on 12 August 2013
I have read Harry's Game a number of times since it was first published; this time purchased it for my Kindle. It remains the best book of its kind, for me, ever written. You feel the streets and atmosphere of Belfast as though you were there
on 17 August 2013
A compelling look into the unglamorous world where fanaticism is entangled with harsh everyday life. The characters are explored in depth, with their fears and frailties exposed.
on 2 August 2013
This was my first read of Gerald Seymour and have read all his books I am just about to start his latest the corporals wife. I have recently started to read them again.
on 14 August 2013
A good page turner, full of suspense. Just what I've come to expect from Gerald Seymour. Would recommend it to anyone who has not read any of Seymour's work.
on 2 September 2013
Fictional yes, based on fact, absolutely.

I vaguely remember Harry's Game on TV, in the 80's I guess. Recently heard an interview with Gerald Seymour on the radio and much of it was about Harry's Game, and how he wrote it from his experiences as a journalist, certainly seemed worth a look and I wasn't disappointed. I think I'd go as far as to say that the first chapter is the most gripping I have ever read.