Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 January 2013
This book is about the 1st world war and is also a romance at the same time. Audrey Howard is very descriptive in her novels so at times it can be a bit upsetting when it comes to the gruesome details of events on the battle fields and also the events in the hospitals, but it is properbly exactly what occured. I have not yet completed this novel but can't wait to find out how it ends. as one brother is in a prisioner of war camp with memory loss and the other is badly injured. Very recommendable read if you are a fan of Audrey Howard.
on 16 April 2013
I enjoyed reading this book, mostly because of the gripping war "scenes", and descriptions of the impact of the war on all the characters. The characters were sympathetic and well drawn. Unfortunately though I also thought it was a bit, theatrical as well, lots of descriptions of how beautiful the women are, how handsome and virile the men, etc. eg: "she was feeding her baby at her magnificent breast", (not an exact quote). My main problem with the book though was the end. After all the detailed plotlines it doesn't so much end as just stop, leaving several questions that could have been answered if she has written just a couple more pages. I wonder if she wasn't setting it up for a sequel, and I felt a bit cheated by it.
on 18 January 2013
This was a very well written book and told a good story but I was a bit disappointed with the end. I was looking for the next page only to realise it had finished could have continued - maybe there is to be a sequel?
on 22 February 2013
I have read all of Audrey Howard novels and they never fail to dissappoint. This book I could not put down but did not want it to end.Graphic details of the horror or World war 1 but softened by the love story between Alice and Charle and Rose and Harry.
How the war changed the lives of many and their endurance having to live through a difficult time. This is Audrey howard at her best. Great read
on 11 September 2014
What can I say that I have not already said - I am an ardent reader of Audrey Howard books, and she never fails to draw me in and keep me turning the pages. As far as I know, I think this one is her last, which is disappointing as I look forward to each and every one of her stories.
on 12 September 2013
I really struggled to get into this. The characters didn't come alive for me. Rose is described as 'unconventional' but all unconventional seems to mean is that she's a 21st century insert into a First World War setting.
There is very casual use of 'for God's sake' which doesn't ring true for a hundred years ago. One character marries at 18 but she should have needed her father's permission, as you didn't come of age till 21.

It does try to deal with shellshock and the traumatic side of war.
The love at first sight aspect didn't appeal to me, but then I'm a curmudgeonly cynic.
on 28 December 2012
Downloaded this on to my kindle. First book that I have read from this author Audrey Howard. Excellent read.Would purchase another book by this author from Amazon.
on 6 January 2013
Enjoyed this story. It's the kind of book I usually read. I've read Audrey Howard before. She tells a good story and I love anything set during the war periods.
on 10 October 2013
The book firstly starts off a bit slow. I read a chapter, then found an old Audrey Howard book I hadnt read, so read that first. Maybe a couple of weeks passed and I started it again.
Quite slow to start with, but I must admit by half way I was well into it, and then couldnt put it down. As with all her books, especially the older ones. They are so full of imaginable surroundings, and people. I get lost in them all.
So yes, this is a good read. Recommended.
on 25 May 2014
I have read many of Audrey Howard's books so I knew this new one would be good, but I think good is an understatement because I just could not put it down. Every spare moment I had I could not wait to see what happened next. There was so much drama and suspense but always as Audrey does so well is the romance. The only bad thing is I now have to wait for her next one.