5.0 out of 5 stars The Ides of April
Published 17 months ago by S Riaz

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear, I Did Want to Enjoy It
Oh dear, I really, really wanted to like this novel. I own and have enjoyed all of Ms Davies's novels (well a few of the very late Falcos were a little hard work). The new main character is exactly my age. I have been really looking forward to reading this book. I have had it on pre order for months but .....

For me this book lacked things I was looking for...
Published 15 months ago by George Kinsky

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ides of April, 25 Feb 2013
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lindsey Davis is, of course, well known to legions of fans for her Falco detective series. Now, she has cleverly created a spin off series, with Flavia Albia, Falco's adopted daughter, as the the main character. This is very much a new series, so it does not matter whether you have read any (or all) of the Falco novels - previous characters, such as family members, are mentioned, but always with explanations as to who is who, and Flavia Albia is very much the main character in her own setting. However, if you are a fan of the Falco novels, even the location will be familiar, as Favia Albia lives in Fountain Court, where her father first lived in the first book The Silver Pigs: (Falco 1). Like her father, Flavia Albia is also an private informer, with an independent streak and a wish to succeed at her chosen profession.

Being a woman both limits Flavia Albia in her investigations and yet gives her better access to information when interviewing female clients. The author paints a vibrant picture of Rome, with all the problems and limitations women faced in everyday life. When a client of Flavia Albia's dies suddenly, her main concern is that she will no longer be paid. However, the woman's stepson is unwilling to accept the death as natural and asks her to investigate. To her surprise, Flavia Albia discovers that other, previously healthy and active people, have died suddenly and it seems a murderer is stalking the streets of Rome. Originally, Flavia Albia is warned off the case, but when it becomes apparent that a female investigator could help, she joins forces with Morellus, a vigiles investigator, and Tiberius, who works for the aedile Manlius Faustus, to track down the killer.

In this novel, Lindsey Davis weaves a historical mystery with a great plot, believable characters and a good dose of humour, to create a great new series. Flavia Albia is extremely likeable, both human and fallible, yet brave and resourceful. If you like the Falco novels then you will find much to enjoy in this new series and I hope that Flavia Albia goes on to investigate many more mysteries as I look forward to reading further adventures featuring this likeable new heroine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear, I Did Want to Enjoy It, 18 April 2013
This review is from: The Ides of April (Falco: The New Generation) (Hardcover)

For me this book lacked things I was looking for from a hot stuff Lindsay Davies novel. I came to the table expecting a tight clever plot, humour and above all joy de vivre and I found a very tired plot (that I almost couldn't be bothered waiting for the conclusion of), an understandably (given her life experiences) bitter and tiresome leading character who had none of the charm and wit I was looking for in the daughter of Falco. There was just no bounce.

I didn't hate this book. It is well written and life in ancient Rome is beautifully brought to life in the background. I just found the story and the heroine uninteresting. I am afraid my eyes kept glassing over as I read. I kept wishing Falco would come out of the background and draw my attention.

I am so sorry Ms Davies because I really love the Silver Pigs and I was hoping that this was going to be Silver Pigs mark two. I shall keep reading Ms Davies as I am sure there will be a return to form!

5.0 out of 5 stars Falco's daughter, but she's no clone, 9 Mar 2013
Penny Waugh "A reader" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've loved all the Falco books, and was dismayed to realise that the rather downbeat Nemesis was likely to be his last investigation. Now, some years later in the unhappy reign of the Emperor Domitian, his adopted daughter, Flavia Albia, has stepped into his old office in Fountain Court, and is doing quite nicely as an informer and investigator in her own right.
Albia is still in many ways the wilful child of the Falco books, but at 29 and ten years a widow, she has her head screwed on and knows what she wants and how to get it. Drawn, reluctantly on the part of her male counterparts, into the investigation of a series of sudden deaths by poison, she proves her worth and stands firmly on her own feet.
It is the detail of Roman life, the wonderfully drawn characters (even the minor ones) who come right off the page, and the sometimes wicked humour, that make this book, and the Falco books, such a delight to read. We may not meet Falco directly here, but his presence is still very much felt I love the way the story is told in modern English and I do not find this detracts from the historical feel.
There is romance here, if rather hasty and possibly ill-judged, Albia is very human; pathos, in the horrible fate of the foxes sacrificed to Ceres which upsets her enough to take matters into her own hands; love of family - even for her obnoxious younger adopted brother Postumus (of whom I'm sure we will hear more); loyalty and determination.
Tiberius, the runner for the aedile, Andronicus the charmer, Ronan the door keeper, Junillus her deaf cousin, Robigo the fox - too many vibrant characters to name but they all fit perfectly into the story.
It is true that Albia's Rome is not Falco's Rome; this is a feminine take on life in the city and adds a new dimension to our understanding of what life might have been like.
I did guess the murderer early on, and also the other puzzle in the book, but loved every minute of Albia's investigation. Hope this will be the start of another great series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Falco - TNG..., 6 Mar 2013
John "John75222" (Leeds, Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love Davis's writing about Rome and have followed Falco since the start. I really wondered how Davis was going to steer Falco through the reign of Domitian given the history between them. Lo and behold; Falco - `The Next Generation' is the inspired result.

Set around a dozen years on from the story covered by Nemesis, `Ides of April' initially took a while to get going as Davis filled in some of the gaps created by the leap forward in time. The Falco series, rather like Michael Clynes' series about the incorrigible Elizabethan rogue Roger Shallot, was told as the reminiscences of someone in old age of their younger exploits. By a third of the way through the novel you can breathe a sigh of relief as you find that all the major characters from the Falco series are alive and well, if keeping their heads down to avoid being chopped by the unstable Domitian.

This is Davis at her best. The story flows well, the narrative description of Rome and its people are vivid and three dimensional and it is a wonderfully plotted book full of humour and irony. Davis has also done well to avoid miring Falco senior into the series too early. This young lady is an able detective in her own right, albeit with illustrious adoptive forebears and I'm sure that she'll build up an impressive casebook of her own to rival that of `Pa' and leave him for the time being managing grandpa Geminus's dodgy antiques business.

I did have this on pre-order from when it was first placed in the catalogue, for me Davis can do little wrong in this genre; generally I know I'm going to be royally entertained, have a few laughs and a good mystery to boot. I'm really pleased I got the opportunity to read it before it officially hit the stands.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 7 July 2014
I loved the original Falco series but I found this a bit flat by comparison.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Roman spring of Falco's daughter - more romance than detective thriller, 8 July 2013
Blue in Washington "Barry Ballow" (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Ides of April (Falco: The New Generation) (Hardcover)
If you buy this book thinking that it is an extension of the wonderful Falco series by Lindsey Davis, you risk some disappointment. While the period context feels similar (it's a few years after the last Falco story--circa 85AD) and the story effectively evokes the grime and hubbub of Rome, the book feels like a different genre.

The first third of the novel works slowly to establish the character of Flavia Albia, adopted daughter of the Falcos, as an independent woman working as an informer (detective). Most of this set up is done in a narrative from Albia's perspective, and that perspective often portrays the 28-year old protagonist as frivolous, cranky and more than a little man-obsessed. Little information is provided about the events that bring her up to the present (her late husband, the family's turn of fortune, etc.) The concurrent plot development--serial killer at work--is very slow in evolving and not especially compelling. When the plot finally starts to pick up some steam, there are some highly unlikely character developments that ultimately don't wash.

This wasn't a terrible book, but it was rather odd. As a successor to the Falco series, it didn't have the same crackle and pop in the dialogue or narrative; and how can you include references to the illustrious parents, Falco and Helena, without giving them at least a few lines of witty dialogue and/or role to play?

More telling for me, the lead character came across like the female protagonists in the Stephanie Plum and Amy LeDuc series--determined and resourceful, but preoccupied with wardrobe selections and potential bed partners. And in the latter context, she is not especially astute in picking winners.

I finished the novel wondering whether this might be the author's swan song. Maybe it's unfair to expect the same level of wit and tension book after book in a series, but author Davis has set a high standard for herself and for her readers over the years. So there it is.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly Bad, 3 July 2013
R. Allison - See all my reviews
I agree wholeheartedly with George Kinsky, He has saved me writing a review. Will read next and hope it's better

3.0 out of 5 stars A Change is not always as good as a rest, 3 May 2013
J. E. Parry "Jeff Parry" (Pontypool, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Maybe it is because this is not a Falco book. Maybe it is because it is the start of a new series. I don't know what it is but something is missing. I think that this would be a good choice for people who have not read the Falco books that came before. Unfortunately I was expecting something a little more challenging and fufilling than this.

It isn't a bad book, it is just not as good as what has gone before. The story was good but the perpetrator was telegraphed at an early stage and the end just seemed to be dragged out for longer than necessary. This hadn't happened in the old series but maybe it is there to pull new readers in.

The story was well written but not well crafted. I think that was the problem.

3.0 out of 5 stars Off the boil, 25 April 2013
Hamstead (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been a fan of Lyndsey Davis since reading a first edition of The Silver Pigs. As I recall, back then, the great Ellis Peters gave that novel an accolade saying that she never quoted for novels but she had to make an exception in this case - and how right she was. What a wonderful start to a mostly great series.But along the way, Lyndsey Davis seems to have gone a little of the boil. The writing is still gutsy, competent and laden with the usual wit, but it all seems a lot like going through the motions these days, which is sad. This new series is okay,but I don't think it would draw the same accolade from Ellis Peters as that first Falco did. It was also very predictable. By the middle of the novel I had guessed whodunnit, how they ended up and who the love interest was. My partner read the novel too. We both thought it was okay, but we didn't love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable, albeit slightly predictable, mystery in ancient Rome, 30 Mar 2013
Petra Bryce "bookworm" (Malvern, Worcs) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Flavia Albia is following in her father Falco's footsteps and has become an informer in ancient Rome. At the outset of the novel, she is engaged to fight off a compensation claim relating to a little boy's death, when she finds her employer unexpectedly deceased, and a relative suspecting foul play. Soon more suspicious deaths are uncovered, and it becomes clear that the magistrates and the vigiles are trying to keep a spate of mysterious murders a secret from the general public. With the help of Andronicus and Tiberius, an archivist and a runner working for the local aedile, as well as a sympathetic investigator, they set about catching the killer loose on the Aventine.

This is Flavia Albia's first outing as the main character, and fans of Lindsey Davis's other creations, Marcus Didius Falco and his wife Helena Justina, will be eager to devour this first volume in what is promising to be a major new series, now that Falco and Helena have entered middle age and become more respectable, though I believe it will also appeal to readers who come to the series without prior introduction to Albia's family. It is an engaging, witty and irreverent romp through the streets of the Aventine in ancient Rome, which wears its historical knowledge lightly on its sleeve and has its tongue firmly placed in cheek, peppered with literary anachronisms. It is undemanding yet fun, in style comparable to Marilyn Todd's Claudia series, and I raced through the book in a matter of days, the pages turning as if by themselves. If I have one criticism, it is that the book suffers from a lack of credible alternative villains, and the mix-up over the identities is pretty transparent, yet Albia, an intelligent and astute woman, appears surprisingly dense in those respects, hence my rating it only four and a half stars.

Ever since the appearance of Marcus Didius Falco and Helena Justina in The Silver Pigs at the beginning of the 1990s, I've had a soft spot for Lindsey Davis's books of historical murder mysteries set in ancient Rome, and to me she will always be one of the pioneers of that particular genre. Some readers might find the style too flippant and scoff that the characters certainly would not have used the expressions "tarts" and "swanks" 2000 years ago, but then it does make for a refreshing change compared to other "serious" historical literature. With the new series centred around a strong female character in the person of Albia, and the promise of several recurring characters and a will they/won't they romance, I'm already looking forward to the second volume.

The Ides of April (Falco: The New Generation)
The Ides of April (Falco: The New Generation) by Lindsey Davis (Hardcover - 11 April 2013)
11.89