5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Ms Wax...
Published 14 months ago by meriet duncan

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag
The sections of the book in which Ruby Wax reflects on and recounts her personal experience are both moving and informative and certainly helped me to understand better what it is like to suffer from depression. However, I found the other sections rather annoying in their tone and at times I felt my mind lurching into the world of the untamed mind rather than the tamed...
Published 12 months ago by m e lockyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Ms Wax..., 6 July 2013
Brilliant Book. I read it with Ruby's voice in my head which made it easy and amusing. I wish she had written this book when I was 14, it would have saved me years of heart/head ache.. A must read for those who want to find out more about themselves and those around them. Thank you Ms Wax, I am only sorry that you had to suffer first in order to get tothis point in your life...

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read and lots of good advice, 5 Jan 2014
Ruby uses just enough science, personal anecdotes and humour to make this book easy and worthwhile reading. It's full of common sense and advice for life in the 21st century. I'd recommend it to anyone who suffers from anxiety or would class themselves as an excessive worrier. If nothing else this book will give you some laughs!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Owners Guide to the Mind, 7 Jun 2013
Donald Scott (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I've read a lot of books about neurology, psychology and psychotherapy. Just put this one down having finished the last page. This one is a bit special because it has been written by someone who writes from the heart, with an honesty that's compelling. It has been said that there is no owner's manual that comes with each brain. This one provides a pretty good idea of what to do if you feel that your own brain is not quite getting you through your life the way you'd like. Highly recommended. I've always liked the author as a comedienne... I like her even better as an author and educator.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! Wish this book was published a decade ago, 18 Oct 2013
Y. Bakunina (London) - See all my reviews
Of course, that's not possible as neuroscience is only just beginning to understand how our brains work. Still, this book is invaluable to anyone and everyone. Intuitively, I always knew that stress is the root of all evils, that meditation and mindfulness help me to calm the mind as does yoga but no meditation or yoga teacher has ever explained to me the physiological principles behind mindfulness. Ruby Wax does more than that. She ascertains that we are all crazy and helps to navigate to the sane shores with clarity and uncanny humour. To me this is the best and most profound book I've read in a decade.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILIANT, 6 Jun 2013
this book is a gift to the world. it's a helpful book without being a 'self help book.' funny, insightful and a revelation. it makes the most impossible concepts accessible for everyone and will help anyone understand the intricate workings of the brain and the responses we have to life. a must have for anyone trying to navigate their way through all the madness. major thanks to miss wax...

5.0 out of 5 stars Want A Happier Life? You'd Be Crazy Not To Read Sane New World. Yes, I Do Mean That., 10 Jun 2013
What's the one thing we all say when asked what we'd wish ourselves or our children and loved ones? A happy life. This excellent book isn't just for those people with a mental health diagnosis. It's a book for any human being who wants a happier life. A manual for improved life quality - improved thinking, feeling and behaviour. I want to send one each to all our children.

Here's a modified something I wrote on Ruby Wax's website (www.rubywax.net) today.

"I'm glad the Irish Sane New World Tour went so well. My work hours were reduced from 36 to 12 per week when I had to have time off for an episode and the doctor's certificate showed 'bipolar depression'. That's a 2/3 cut in my salary. We moved area and I now work from home doing something I love. But mental illness can still hit us in the pocket and lower self-esteem further in this way, as you mention in SNW. The law definitely needs changing. We can never have too many people being open and honest about their experiences.

I'm now told by my e-reader I'm at '94 of 150' and thus at Part 4 of Sane New World. Although I took two NHS Mindfulness courses, the brain part was only explained in that we can change our thinking and thus feeling and behaviours. There simply wasn't the budget or time on the NHS to go into that detail and we concentrated on the actual practice.

So, at very long last, someone has explained for me in layman's/Joe Public human terms what scientists and scholars actually know, from all the research we have up to now (and clearly more needs doing), about our brains and minds. I knew Mindfulness was doing me good, making life richer and me more content, but the info in SNW's been a revelation to me. How complex is the brain! No wonder it's taking time to work it all out. And each brain is unique. So Ruby's down-to-earth and often funny and recognisable explanations helped me see why I've been stuck with certain thoughts, beliefs and attitudes for too many years.

I've had to read some parts twice - which gave me priceless ah-ha moments galore - and look up a few words but you've made this topic so accessible for those who want to do something about their mental health/thinking/life problems but may not understand why Mindfulness (and mindfulness-based CBT) is worth learning and practising and sticking at. For ANYone!

One practical course of Mindfulness would be great, if daily practise follows. Doing a course, then forgetting about it probably wouldn't help. A course or other complementary works such as Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world by Williams & Penman - based on Kabat-Zinn's work - and then practising daily, begins to pay dividends. I wouldn't be writing this if I doubted it. I don't do many reviews. I have to feel very strongly. And this is fundamental stuff to help with our lives.

Of course there are crappy and traumatic times; Ruby Wax doesn't deny that (especially by being open in the book about her own struggles) - but we can observe those times, thoughts and feelings with mindful practice, and recover in a healthier way than the negative things we often do, beating ourselves up, being unkind to ourselves, overloading ourselves to breaking point, etc. This book has explained to me what's going on; how with Mindfulness I'm rewiring my brain to positive effect. I was honestly at the point where I couldn't afford NOT to.

We are human and fallible. Perfection we can never have but, using your book and the Mindfulness-based options (books/courses/cds and more) out there, we can improve our quality of life. And I think that's the best gift those of use with mental health issues can give ourselves. Thanks for making it all a lot clearer for me. :-)"

I don't always meditate daily (I can manage short ones quite well, even 5 minutes!) but I do try and consciously do a few daily things (washing up, anyone? Walking the dog?) in a mindful way, paying attention. Everyone will have their own preferences.

If you struggle with life, that the habitual negative thoughts you have affect your self-worth/your emotions and feelings/your behaviour and how you live life (anxious/suffering depressive/anxiety symptoms/obsessive thoughts and behaviours) and you sincerely wish to change this, well then, say no more, you are very human and Ruby's written a funny, accessible manual to help.

Life can only improve with this stuff. It *can* be happier if you want. But if your painful comfort-zone is the one you want to keep, you go ahead. You're welcome to it. But don't say I never tipped you the wink! ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars A funny book with a very important message, 21 Oct 2013
Ruby writes about mindfulness in a way that actually makes sense. Her open and honest account of her own mental illness adds a layer of reality and truth sometimes missing in more zen like approaches to mindfulness.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really practical and effective guide to improving your mental and physical health, 21 Jun 2013
Comedienne and now Psychotherapist, Ruby Wax deserves a Royal Albert Hall sized standing ovation for her new book.

Ruby talks with a deep and compelling honesty about her own struggles (not always pleasant) and how practicing mindfulness has made a huge difference to her own life. She makes mindfulness much simpler than many other speakers and authors. She removes the religious aspects associated with it, making it accessible to anyone of any religion or none.

Written in plain english with humour she gives a tour of the different parts of the brain. She lists the results of many compelling scientific studies that clearly show how mindfulness quickly brings about positive changes in the brain and the body.

Ruby lists many different practices and exercises that can help improve how we think and feel about ourselves, others and the world around us. Whilst some determined effort will be required, it is simply a case of choosing a few that you want to try and that you think you can practically do. I have used some of her 5 second mindfulness techniques over the last week and already feel a greater sense of calm.

Ruby gives us all some compelling answers to overburdened health services and budgets. I want every every GP and NHS manager in the country to read her book. I shall be recommending her book to many of my own coaching clients.

A big thank you to you Ruby!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sane New World, 12 Oct 2013
This is one of the most interesting " self help " books I have read recently and I have read many. Ruby Wax describes the workings of the human brain and describes the negative conversations that most people have in their own heads. It is a very accurate description and delivered with humor. I have read it several times now and laughed my way through even though it was dealing with a serious subject. It was very uplifting to know that Ruby herself has found some answers in the practice of Mindfulness. Her intelligence and sensitivity shine through in this book and it is not at all depressing! An uplifting and hopeful message. More from this author please! I will be waiting! Buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant sensitive Read, 3 Jun 2013
For anyone affected directly or indirectly by mental illness this is a must read. It is the first book that I have read on the subject that clearly explains how to turn around your thought process in laymen's terms. The technical details are explained clearly without being condescending.Sane New World: How to Tame the Mind

Sane New World: Taming the Mind
Sane New World: Taming the Mind by Ruby Wax (Paperback - 27 Feb 2014)