5.0 out of 5 stars Totally different & totally brilliant
Picoults says in the notes of the book that this is her favourite book so far & I have to say I agree - This book is a huge leap away from Picoults usual scenario of family/court drama, which I have always enjoyed, but this is by far her best.
Published on 15 Sep 2008 by Flying In a Blue Dream

3.0 out of 5 stars Unsatisfactory Kindle version
Published 22 months ago by Desiree

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally different & totally brilliant, 15 Sep 2008
This review is from: Second Glance (Paperback)
The story centers around 1 guy who after losing the love of his life in a car accident spends time searching for her ghost, he goes on a journey of personal discovery & somehow his life becomes entangled with Lia - a woman who died in 1932.
Part of the story is told from Lias point of view & that part is particularly interesting. I certainly did not find it difficult to get into, confusing, or difficult to understand the eugenetics as other have mentioned. It was a fantastic & interesting read. A must read for all Picoult fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars let down by poor formatting in the kindle version, 19 Aug 2011
E. Heckingbottom "elaineheck143" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Second Glance (Kindle Edition)
Typical of Jodi Picoult, she tackles difficult issues in this book. however, if you are buying the Kindle version, beware that formatting issues make it seem disjointed and hard to follow in places~ particularly at the beginning, when varous new characters are introduced and the scene is set.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unsatisfactory Kindle version, 21 Sep 2012
This review is from: Second Glance (Kindle Edition)
As an avid Jodi Picoult fan, i downloaded this book to my Kindle for holiday reading. Sadly the version was poorly done with no spaces or lines between the different sections and chapters of the book. This made it very difficult to follow the story through the different characters' eyes and spoilt the book for me. The story itself is good and a variation from Picoult's usual themes. I think it would have been far more enjoyable had the Kindle version been properly laid out avoiding the problems I experienced with trying to work out which character each part was talking about.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Jodi Picoult yet...., 30 Oct 2006
Helly B (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Second Glance (Paperback)
I got this book in the States last year and absolutely loved it. Some other reviewers have complained of predictability in Jodi Picout's novels but this felt quite different with the theme of transcending time & less of a focus around a big court case. However, a word of warning - the book is divided into 3 sections and the first section proves quite difficult to get to grips with but do perservere because by the second section, everything starts falling into place and all the characters who seemed quite random start becoming inter-related. The book leaves you with a very warm feeling & is definitely recommended if you have enjoyed Jodi Picoult's other books.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Strange Read, 23 Nov 2008
Mr. Peter Steward "petersteward" (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Second Glance (Paperback)
Sometimes when I have read a novel and turn to reviewing it I find comments difficult to come by. Sometimes my head is so full of thoughts that it is difficult to know where to start. This book comes into the latter category.

It is a very strange, almost surreal work of fiction based on fact. Ultimately a ghost story surrounding a master race style selection process undertaken in Vermont in the 1930s, it is a complex and at times difficult to understand novel.

To start with the book is divided into three sections - the first and third take place in 2001 but the middle section, which goes a long way to explaining what is happening in the other two, is set in 1931. This does lead to some confusion. At times it's difficult to realise just how much information the author has allowed you to have earlier.

My main gripe with the novel is the ridiculous language it at times lapses into. Whilst the middle section of the book is powerful and well written, the first and third can be rather corny and I felt ultimately the book rather fizzled out. There were no massive surprises and the last pages turn more into an adventure tale than a ghostly mystery.

Getting back to the language. Picoult has a nasty habit of using "big words" in her text. At one point one of the characters actually picks up on this as part of a joke. But who really understands the words nictitating, ratiocinatively, catena, self-immolation of tropolgically - and these are just a few of those used.

Then there are sentences such as "Here I am confabulating about myself."

Even worse are passages that are just cringeworthy. Take these as examples:

"She smoothed down her napkin and looked down at her chipolata sausage, nestled in a bed of polenta." or

"She decided to put a tourniquet on the past for once and for all until it just dessicated and disappeared" or

"He tasted doubt on her tongue and pain on the roof of her mouth. He swallowed these and drank again. Consumed she had no choice but to see how empty he was inside and how sip by sip she filled him"

That doesn't mean that the novel isn't without merit. It is a good read, it touches on a number of important subjects and lets us into a world that isn't that far from the Salem Witch trials in content or style. I would recommend this book, but you have to stay with it as in the first section numerous characters are introduced at almost break-neck speed and it is quite difficult to keep a tab on just who is who.

4.0 out of 5 stars Captivating!, 21 Aug 2008
A. B. Taylor "Allie" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Second Glance (Paperback)
As other reviewers had indicated, I found Second Glance to be a lesson in perseverance at first.

The initial section seemed disconnected, with so many characters/scenarios to cope with and I was all for giving up on a Jodi book for the very first time!

So glad I didn't ~ those other reviewers told me to persevere and along with a 'google' of eugenics to help set the scene, I began to enter into this story.
The second section, as narrated by Lia just captivated me & from then on ... hooked!

This is a beautiful story challenging the reader's preconceptions on disability, prejudice and the possibilty of an afterlife.

Loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little confusing at first but worth sticking with it, 8 July 2012
This review is from: Second Glance (Kindle Edition)
I normally breeze through Jodi Picoult's books but this one took me a little longer. I read it in the Kindle version and sometimes it wasn't clear when the story was changing to a different thread due to the lack of distinct paragraph breaks. There are also a lot of characters introduced in the first part and this can be confusing. Having said that the book is worth sticking with. There are no shocking endings as with some of Ms Picoult's other work as all is explained and some of your suspicions about the plot are confirmed. I would definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Picoult, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: Second Glance (Paperback)
This is, in my opinion, an absolutely amazing book. I was attracted to the story line of the book but at first I was put off by the thought of the Abenaki Indian storyline running alongside it, as it's something that does not interest me. On the contrary, I found the book very intriguing and compelling. The book did take a few chapters to allow me to gain some stability and understanding of the story line, but after that, I did not want to put this book down. I particularly liked the way that this was written and the the voice of the 'ghost'. I do not usually enjoy books that are written in this way, but Picoult managed to reel me into the storyline and I was absorbed. There were many characters and a few different issues going on in this book but I felt that they were all rather fluid and tied in well together. It was not particularly difficult to follow once I had made the connections with the characters. I also found that the information regarding the Vermont Eugenics project to be very interesting. A truly wonderful and compelling read

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual Heaven Fantastic Read, 16 Jun 2010
Sarah Keane "keanosk" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Second Glance (Paperback)
When I first started reading this book I thought that it was a little confusing because it does go back and forward in time and changes very quickly from one character to the next. You will work out why by the end of the book and how the characters lives intermigle without even knowing it.

It is a book that left me feeling great about life in general and realising that if true there is much more to death than simply dying. Fantastic Read!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved second glance, 10 Feb 2010
This review is from: Second Glance (Paperback)
I thought this book was great. It was'nt what I was expecting and totally different from her usual books but I loved it. I got so drawn in to the story and I did'nt want to stop reading. This has to be one of the best she has written although there was a part near the end which did'nt seem to fit the rest of the book and for me it would be better without it. But other than that it was excellent.

Second Glance
Second Glance by Jodi Picoult (Paperback - 10 Oct 2013)
5.59