5.0 out of 5 stars An intelligent read
This book stretched my brain, but left me feeling more deeply in love with Jesus & with a greater understanding of my life...good, bad & ugly
Published 11 months ago by jenny harding

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
thought it would have been better
Published 3 months ago by Joan

5.0 out of 5 stars An intelligent read, 22 Nov 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Keller's Best Work Yet, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Walking with God Through Pain and Suffering (Hardcover)
In the last four years, there are many books I have read all the way through. But this past Sunday May 11th marks one of the only times that I have read through a book twice. That book is Walking With God Through Pain And Suffering by Timothy Keller.

The first time I read it, I started on October 16, 2013 and finished on November 15. It impacted me so profoundly, I knew I had to pick it up again soon. The second time, I read more slowly, starting on February 6th, 2014 and finishing on May 11.It is simply a wonderful book. The whole idea behind it is, everyone suffers. As Keller says, “No one is immune.” Therefore, it is important to know a thing or two about pain and suffering.

In the book, Tim Keller offers a helpful survey of different cultural and religious approaches to suffering—and how, interestingly, secular Western culture is perhaps the weakest in providing resources for its sufferers. He then addresses each view of suffering in light of the very nuanced Biblical approach—an approach that turns out to capture the strengths of the many cultural approaches to suffering, while also performing strongly in the areas where the other approaches are weak.

Keller closes with a set of chapters on how to get through suffering in everyday life in light of what the Bible offers. This section is probably the one I will most often return to. Keller is a Christian minister of many decades of pastoring and much wisdom, and it is here where his pastoral sensibilities shine in a special way. He offers a sensitive and well-written series of practices and disciplines such as Hoping, Praying, Weeping, and Trusting that overlap and inter-penetrate one another to form a strong, true-to-human-complexity approach to dealing with suffering.

In summary, I recommend this book very highly. As said, it is one of the few books I have read twice, and I am looking forward to reading it even a third time very soon. God has used Keller’s words to very dramatically alter how I suffer, and I can now say that the suffering I have experienced in my young life no longer holds the kind of sting it once did, and also that I feel my spirit buoyed and my skin thickened for the suffering that I, my wife, and our children will encounter in the years to come.

With a full heart, I recommend Walking With God Through Pain and Suffering to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff!, 9 Feb 2014
K. Davis - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walking with God Through Pain and Suffering (Hardcover)
Challenging, helpful, relevant, practical. You don't have to read this book cover to cover - Keller even advices on the best way to read it depending on your circumstances. An excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Walking with God Through Pain and Suffering (Hardcover)
A very challenging and helpful book. Answers some of the important questions for those who have faced difficult circumstances and understanding how we can know God's grace. The use of personal stories connects the words to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 3 Nov 2013
Timothy Keller is a great author and this book is great reading for anyone who is suffering. I will recommend to any Christian

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: Walking with God Through Pain and Suffering (Hardcover)
This book really compliments "Where is God When it Hurts" by Philip Yancey. I recommend both books on this VERY important subject. Suffering is one of the biggest battles Christians will face in their walk with God AND one of the main reasons non-Christians struggle with believing in God. So, Christians need to have answers on this subject for evangelism. AND, Christians need proper answers on this subject to minister to others who are suffering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written and lots of touching stories, 30 Sep 2014
This review is from: Walking with God Through Pain and Suffering (Hardcover)
Sensitive treatment of something that we all go through. Beautifully written and lots of touching stories. The author is nuanced and intelligent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tim is a really good clear communicator on what is a difficult issue, 2 Oct 2014
This is a must read for anyone serious about their faith. Tim is a really good clear communicator on what is a difficult issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars full of good information and sensible, 8 Sep 2014
Well written always readable; full of good information and sensible comment

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Oct 2014
This review is from: Walking with God Through Pain and Suffering (Hardcover)
Excellent in every way MANY THANKS!!!

Walking with God Through Pain and Suffering
Walking with God Through Pain and Suffering by Timothy Keller (Hardcover - 10 Oct 2013)