5.0 out of 5 stars An intelligent read
This book stretched my brain, but left me feeling more deeply in love with Jesus & with a greater understanding of my life...good, bad & ugly
Published 17 months ago by jenny harding

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
thought it would have been better
Published 9 months ago by Joan

5.0 out of 5 stars An intelligent read, 22 Nov. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Philosopical and practical, 19 Mar. 2015
Karen Daly (East Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walking with God through Pain and Suffering (Hardcover)
I am relatively new to the Christian faith and don't usually read books as "academic" as this, so this book was on my bookshelf for a few months before I could start reading it from cover to cover. Read the introduction. It helpfully explains that the author has set the book out in three sections - the first is a philosophical analysis of the approach different religions and cultures take to suffering, and why Christians bear suffering better than those of any other faith and philosophy, using examples such as the Stoics, Buddhists, Western secular society, etc. Unlike Stoics and Buddhists, who mitigate suffering by detachment from the world, Christians suffer better not because they love the world less, but because they love God more - God is with them in their suffering. His comments on Luther's view of suffering were most helpful.
The second part of the book moves from the philosophical to the personal, through examples from the Bible and the third section provides the most practical material. I have yet to read these two sections. Keller says that if you are in the midst of adversity, you may want to read the second and third sections first.
The central metaphor for all three sections is that of the Fiery Furnace, a place where, with skill, matter is refined and made more beautiful and useful, and also, in the Bible, a place where the Son of God was present along with the three men.
The book is academic in format, uses material from a wide range of authors and philosophers as well as from the Bible, and is well-referenced with excellent footnotes BUT at the end of most chapters there is a real life story. These stories, like colourful illustrations, speak directly and almost miraculously of God's presence in the midst of suffering. For someone like me, who has lived most of my life in a secular, materialistic world, these stories offer amazing evidence of God's presence with us in times of suffering. If the book gets too deep, go to the end of one of the chapters and find one of these stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keller's Best Work Yet, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Walking with God through Pain and Suffering (Hardcover)
In the last four years, there are many books I have read all the way through. But this past Sunday May 11th marks one of the only times that I have read through a book twice. That book is Walking With God Through Pain And Suffering by Timothy Keller.

The first time I read it, I started on October 16, 2013 and finished on November 15. It impacted me so profoundly, I knew I had to pick it up again soon. The second time, I read more slowly, starting on February 6th, 2014 and finishing on May 11.It is simply a wonderful book. The whole idea behind it is, everyone suffers. As Keller says, “No one is immune.” Therefore, it is important to know a thing or two about pain and suffering.

In the book, Tim Keller offers a helpful survey of different cultural and religious approaches to suffering—and how, interestingly, secular Western culture is perhaps the weakest in providing resources for its sufferers. He then addresses each view of suffering in light of the very nuanced Biblical approach—an approach that turns out to capture the strengths of the many cultural approaches to suffering, while also performing strongly in the areas where the other approaches are weak.

Keller closes with a set of chapters on how to get through suffering in everyday life in light of what the Bible offers. This section is probably the one I will most often return to. Keller is a Christian minister of many decades of pastoring and much wisdom, and it is here where his pastoral sensibilities shine in a special way. He offers a sensitive and well-written series of practices and disciplines such as Hoping, Praying, Weeping, and Trusting that overlap and inter-penetrate one another to form a strong, true-to-human-complexity approach to dealing with suffering.

In summary, I recommend this book very highly. As said, it is one of the few books I have read twice, and I am looking forward to reading it even a third time very soon. God has used Keller’s words to very dramatically alter how I suffer, and I can now say that the suffering I have experienced in my young life no longer holds the kind of sting it once did, and also that I feel my spirit buoyed and my skin thickened for the suffering that I, my wife, and our children will encounter in the years to come.

With a full heart, I recommend Walking With God Through Pain and Suffering to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff!, 9 Feb. 2014
K. Davis - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walking with God through Pain and Suffering (Hardcover)
Challenging, helpful, relevant, practical. You don't have to read this book cover to cover - Keller even advices on the best way to read it depending on your circumstances. An excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book! Most books usually give a theological or ..., 29 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Walking with God through Pain and Suffering (Hardcover)
Brilliant book! Most books usually give a theological or philosophical response to the issues of evil and suffering. These books are useful and can have practical responses by the reader, once reflected upon. The best thing about Keller's book is that he does what those books do but more. Its not just an evaluation of the problem of evil from a biblical perspective, but a pastoral and theologically enriched exploration of what to do in light of suffering and how to look at suffering when we experience it. Im very grateful for a lot of Keller's work, but this one is probably my favourite of his so far

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 13 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Walking with God through Pain and Suffering (Hardcover)
This book really compliments "Where is God When it Hurts" by Philip Yancey. I recommend both books on this VERY important subject. Suffering is one of the biggest battles Christians will face in their walk with God AND one of the main reasons non-Christians struggle with believing in God. So, Christians need to have answers on this subject for evangelism. AND, Christians need proper answers on this subject to minister to others who are suffering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Walking with God through Pain and Suffering (Hardcover)
A very challenging and helpful book. Answers some of the important questions for those who have faced difficult circumstances and understanding how we can know God's grace. The use of personal stories connects the words to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 3 Nov. 2013
Timothy Keller is a great author and this book is great reading for anyone who is suffering. I will recommend to any Christian

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written and lots of touching stories, 30 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Walking with God through Pain and Suffering (Hardcover)
Sensitive treatment of something that we all go through. Beautifully written and lots of touching stories. The author is nuanced and intelligent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tim is a really good clear communicator on what is a difficult issue, 2 Oct. 2014
This is a must read for anyone serious about their faith. Tim is a really good clear communicator on what is a difficult issue.

Walking with God through Pain and Suffering
Walking with God through Pain and Suffering by Timothy Keller (Hardcover - 10 Oct. 2013)