5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas wrapped up in a box!
When I was sent driving home for Christmas, I was unsure of what to expect. I have never read a book by Emma Hannigan before and was not sure of her style of writing.

Published 5 months ago by mrsb2011

Was a disappointing read as I found it a bit boring to tell the truth. Not familiar with the author and I think this is her first novel
Published 2 months ago by Roselyn L Williamson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas wrapped up in a box!, 10 Nov 2013

This story is based around the Craig family. The chapters are relatively short and each represent one of the members from the family. The story is in the run up to Christmas, where they normally spend it at Huntersbrook House as a whole family.

All the characters in the story are written very well, I had a connection with some and found it hard to relate to others. Pippa was my favourite character and actually reminded me slightly of Becky Bloomwood from the shopaholic series. She loves to spend money and is in a lot of debt. I do not think there was meant to be a connection between the two, this is something I just interpreted from reading her character.

I also loved Joey, I thought his character was written very well and loved his story. I felt sorry for him at times and then envious that he got to spend so much time at Huntersbrook House!

Lainey I found hard to connect with and I didn't find her story as interesting as the others in the family, saying this though the story would have not been right without her and it was important her character was included.

For me I found I had a personal connection to the book. When growing up I had a strong family unit and we would visit my grandparents in Cornwall where they had a large house. This bought back memories for me reading this book and I made links between my own family Christmas and the Craigs.

I would say that this book is Christmas wrapped up in a box, it is about family, connections and the love you have for your family. I would recommend this book to everyone for Christmas as its heart warming and makes you wish you were part of the Craig family sharing their family Christmas.

I would like to that Headline for sending me this review copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable story, 18 Oct 2013
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Driving Home for Christmas (Paperback)
Christmas themed books are my favourite, I absolutely love Christmas and anything related to it, so books and Christmas together is wonderful. With that in mind, I was very excited for Emma Hannigan's book Driving Home For Christmas, and I couldn't wait to get started!

As this was my first time reading Emma's writing, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I quickly became absorbed in her wonderful writing and story.

I really liked the characters, and I found that I was interested in them as separate people as well as a family too. I really invested my emotions and feelings into their individual story lines. I enjoyed that they all had their own dilemmas, like Joey and his girlfriend, or Lainey and the situation with her ex, because it helped them stand out from the family on their own, and I really felt by the end that I had spent time with each and every family member. I was really rooting for the characters and I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them.

The descriptions were beautiful, whilst reading I could picture the scenes clearly in my mind and at one point I could almost feel the snow falling around me.

This is a light, easy to read story with many joyous moments. The characters go through their ups and downs and there are more serious moments but Emma effortlessly weaves in some more lighter-hearted sections that will have you smiling. Driving Home For Christmas is an enjoyable story of family, friendship, love and is a wonderful festive read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the sound of this family Christmas, 6 Jan 2013
Sharon (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This was one of the books at the top of my Christmas wishlist, as Emma Hannigan is not only a courageous woman in her battles with cancer but she's also a brilliant storyteller, so I was really excited to win a copy in a Twitter competition in November but I resisted the temptation to read it before Christmas.

The one thing that the Craig family all look forward to each year is spending Christmas together at the family farm in Wicklow but it looks like things will be a little more subdued than normal this year.

Mum Holly is normally the one full of the joys of Christmas but this year she's not really feeling it as she's other things on her mind like how to keep the family home over their heads as business is slacking due to the recession. She's also missing her mother Maggie who she's not spoken to since she left to go and live in Australia with boyfriend Sid.

Things are not going that great for any of her children either, Lainey, Joey and Pippa, as they each have their own problems to overcome including relationship break-ups, accidents and money worries, so they could be bringing home their fair share of baggage as well.

But despite everything that's going on with everyone the most important thing that really matters is family, and the fact that they all want to celebrate Christmas together, which in turn proves to be one of the best Christmasses that they've ever spent together.

I loved the sound of this family gathering where anyone was welcomed with open arms... the more the merrier... so add into the mix Jules Lainey's work colleague, Pippa's boyfriend Jay and flatmate Skye, housekeeper Sadie, farmhand Scott plus the neighbour's... and you've got the perfect recipe for a fun-filled day.

Although there were some pretty serious topics throughout the book, there was also plenty of humour included too especially the lovely hand-knitted jumpers for everyone, but the overriding theme was family and togetherness.

I can't wait to read Emma's next book, Keeping Mum, when it comes out in paperback later this year so I might have to break my resolution to buy this one as soon as it's published.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 5 Mar 2013
I loved this book, I was supposed to wait untill xmas 2013,I am a sucker for xmas books. Due to a lack of interest in others I have stockpiled i read this, I was NOT READY FOR THIS TO end , PLEASE EMMA DO A FOLLOW UP

4.0 out of 5 stars A cosy Christmas read, 5 Feb 2013
This is just the kind of book you want to curl up with in a rare quiet moment over the festive season! It's a nice storyline with likeable characters with tangled family relationships. This book is ideal for people like me who every now and then just want a heartwarming chick-lit read to dive into and forget real life for a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable family saga, 6 Jan 2013
LEP "LEP" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Enjoyable book, sort of a cross between Maeve Binchey and Rosamunde Pilcher in style. Centres on an Irish family whose family home is a Georgian house and stables. It is recession in Ireland and the stables are suffering loss of income due to people not be able to afford to house their horses there any more (what they do with them I've no idea!), also local farmers can no longer afford to rent the fields. So the parents, Holly and Paddy, are afraid that they may have to sell the house and estate. Their three children, Lainey, Joey and Pippa live in Dublin, but travel back to Wicklow for some weekends and always spend Christmas there. Lainey has had her confidence in herself drained by a controlling ex-boyfriend. Nice, successful Joey has a dreadfully selfish girlfriend who his family can't stand and who is trying to drive a wedge between him and his family. "Princess" Pippa is incredibly irresponsible with money and has got herself into a mess. Then there's Maggie the grandmother, who suddenly took off for an Australian vineyard a year ago, much to the bewiderment and hurt of her family and finally, Sadie the housekeeper.

In addition to the main family characters there are various friends and all meet up at the house for Christmas. The stories of the individuals link the narrative together. Very Irish in dialogue and tone. A nice read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me happy!, 12 April 2014
Unashamedly comforting. Glad I chose to read it even though it was in April. It captured a beautiful version of a family Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't like it. I LOVED IT!, 28 Feb 2014
What a lovely story. So many wonderful characters. I couldn't put it down. Another great book from Emma Hannigan. I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect read, 3 Feb 2014
Just the perfect read for the cold winter nights. Quick delivery. Very good ebayer Thank you will order more when I have read this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a lot you can say about a book like this! Saw it reviewed in newspaper and thought it sounded good, 30 Jan 2014

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa20e8a5c)

Driving Home for Christmas
Driving Home for Christmas by Emma Hannigan (Paperback - 10 Oct 2013)
6.91