Once I started Red Ribbons it was hard to put down.
As the story developed and the connections started to reveal themselves the pace of the plot increased and the speed of my reading did the same.
I'm a big fan of Criminal Minds so loved the profiling aspect of the story.
This is such a gripping and thrilling read.
Cannot wait for Louise Philips to...
Published 20 months ago by A. Miles

3.0 out of 5 stars Red Ribbons
It started off very promising but got a bit tedious towards the end. Not sorry I read it though. Not a gripping read..
Published 10 months ago by Philomena

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars entertaining psychological thriller, 26 Dec 2012
Rob Kitchin - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Red Ribbons (Paperback)
Louise Phillips' debut novel, Red Ribbons is a psychological police procedural set over a few autumn days. The story is told through three alternating voices: the killer's, Kate Pearson's and Ellie's. Ellie's voice in particular is very strong and engagingly written, but the characterisation of all three is well developed. In contrast, the other characters are a little thin and two dimensional. In particular, Detective Inspector O'Connor as the fourth central character is somewhat of an enigma and the reader learns little about him other than he's an alpha male and under a lot of pressure. The writing is a little hesitant at first, but as the story unfolds it becomes progressively more assured and compelling, hooking the reader in. For the most part the plotting works well, though the timeline felt a little compressed, using a couple of plot devices to move the story along. Given the structure, where the reader knows the killer and his thoughts, the tale is more of a why-dunnit and whether he'll get away with it than a who-dunnit. Yet, despite the relative transparency of the plot, Phillips manages to keep the tension high right to the final page. Indeed, from about halfway-on it was quite engrossing and I raced through to the end. Overall, an entertaining psychological thriller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't sleep until I finished it and then I couldn't sleep!, 5 Nov 2012
A. Miles (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Red Ribbons (Paperback)
Once I started Red Ribbons it was hard to put down.
I'm a big fan of Criminal Minds so loved the profiling aspect of the story.
This is such a gripping and thrilling read.
Cannot wait for Louise Philips to publish her next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic thriller, with so very much more!, 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: Red Ribbons (Paperback)
This is a fantastic book - I was utterly gripped by it. In fact I stayed up very late (much to the irritation of my partner) to finish it last night! The tension slowly builds until I felt my heart was going to beat through my chest as the web starts to close in. I found the characters complex and intriguing, particularly Kate - the Criminal Psychologist. It was also very interesting and uncomfortable to sit in the mind of the killer. The voice of Ellie is very strong, filling me with feelings of hideous grief and loss. In many different ways, it also emphasises the guilt and responsibility we carry at the core of being a parent. These themes flicker throughout and resonated with me deeply. The loss of a child is every parents waking nightmare and this sensitive subject is handled with ease, depth and grace in Louise's writing. It is a triumph and I would recommend it to anyone as a very instinctive, clever book from a fresh and formidable new talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 10 Sep 2012
This review is from: Red Ribbons (Paperback)
One of the best books I've read this year! One of those stories that makes you put everything on hold because you cant stop reading it! Hoping someone picks up the movie rights! Has everything :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Red Ribbons wins my Blue Riband, 10 Sep 2012
This review is from: Red Ribbons (Paperback)
A great piece of fiction especially from a debut author. Louise Phillips moves effortlessly between the voices of the three protagonists. The dialogue also is realistic and convincing. With such an amount of dialogue it's easy to get it wrong here and there, but every line works. The delicate themes of this novel are treated with great sensitivity - not an easy task. Finally the author managed to wrong-foot me not once but twice in the denouement. Above all this story has a constant momentum, from the start to the finish - I read the 115K words over a weekend.

This is a fine piece of psychological crime fiction from a debut author. Kate Pearson, the central character, is a complex, intriguing subject and I hope we will learn more of her cases and personal tribulations in future novels from the author.

I recommend "Red Ribbons" to fans of the psychological thriller, of the crime novel and of well-written fiction in general.

4.0 out of 5 stars Started Slowly but Well Worth Persevering, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Red Ribbons (Dr Kate Pearson) (Paperback)
A young girl is reported missing. Twenty four hours later she is found buried in a field just outside Dublin. Her hair is plaited and tied with old fashioned red ribbons. Dr Kate Pearson, a psychologist, is called in to profile the killer. What is Ellie's story? Why is she incarcerated in a secure unit? What is her connection with the current murders?
Although slightly on the predictable side, this book has a good plot and the story slots together well in the end. I have read far too many of these types of books not to predict that Kate is going to get caught by the murderer and all the drama will unfold in a finale in the race to find her. However, the reader is privy to the thoughts of the murderer in this book so it is obvious that the author intended the reader to draw these conclusions. The plot, however, was sound and there weren't any major points where the reader has to allow the author to twist reality in order to make the plot work.
Although the plot was well constructed, I found it difficult to really get involved in this book. It wasn't a gripping story that I struggled to put down. In fact even a third of the way through I was still debating giving up. The author starts the book with several different threads - Ellie's story, the murderer, Kate's story and the main thread of the police investigation. By splitting these all into short, different, headed sections the story does become quite disjointed. This was particularly apparent at the beginning as it took quite a while to really understand what was going on in each thread. I feel that longer chapters at the beginning would have helped me to understand what was going on with one person before moving on to the next. I am not convinced that I really connected with any of the characters terribly well. I suspect this was as a result of the style of writing whereby the reader only gets snippets of a character before moving onto the next thread. I usually like this style of writing where the reader sees the same story from different angles but in this case I felt it left me unable to get involved with the characters.
I very much enjoyed the setting of this book. It made a pleasant change to be centred around Dublin and its locality. It is an area that I know slightly so I was able to envisage the landscape. However, as the landscape and culture are not that dissimilar to England I think most readers would have found it easy to relate to. The author could have made more of the environment with more description.
Although I struggled to get involved with this book, I did enjoy the story once I understood what each thread was about. It was worth persevering and I would read another book by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Red Ribbons (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't put it down, thank you for a rainy Sunday, it gave me the perfect opportunity to spend the day reading, on to the next one now, Louise Phillips

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll never look at red ribbons in the same way again!, 24 Jan 2014
This review is from: Red Ribbons (Paperback)
I enjoyed Red Ribbons, it tells the story of murdered schoolgirls who have been buried with red ribbons in their hair, hands clasped together in prayer, lying as if praying. What is their connection to the young mother Ellie Brady who was institutionalised 15 years previously for the murder of her daughter? The chapters move from Kate's perspective to Ellie's to the murderer. The latter was what I didn't enjoy so much, this is just my personal opinion but I prefer to try and work out who the murderer is rather than just waiting to see if he will be caught before he kills again. It did make it more disturbing though in that you can read what the murderer is thinking, his background, his childhood, his plans .... something akin to The Fall series earlier last year where the murderer was psychotic. I just prefer the whodunnit aspect.
All in all, I really did enjoy it - it was gripping and an excellent read

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Red Ribbons (Dr Kate Pearson) (Paperback)
I believe the author has succeeded in writing a superior and enjoyable crime novel, without resorting to sensationalism or relying on cliched situations. Normally, I dislike fiction that uses crimes against children to make an impact, but here it is treated with restraint and sympathy. Even the perpetrator, evil though he is, is portrayed (to some extent) as a victim of other, wholly selfish, people. When it comes to Irish crime-fiction, I have to admit I prefer the more bizarre and exuberant stories of John Connolly - but even he could learn something about neat plotting from Ms Phillips. I look forward to reading her latest story.

I notice a few comments about poor editing - and I admit I was amused by the use of "polls" instead of "poles" in pages 232 and 249: a nice eggcorn.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is how I love my crime fiction., 15 Oct 2013
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Red Ribbons (Dr Kate Pearson) (Paperback)
When the body of a missing schoolgirl is found buried in the Dublin Mountains, her hands clasped together in prayer, two red ribbons in her hair, the hunt for her killer reaches epic proportion with the discovery of a second girl's body 24 hours later.

First of all, this is how I love my crime fiction. Great story, complicated without trying to be TOO clever, one that gives your brain a work out and has terrific characters, all of which, even the minor ones, bring something to the story. And that in a nutshell is Red Ribbons.

Whilst it is clearly an introduction for the criminal psychologist, Kate Pearson, and what a great character she is - Louise Phillips also gives us Ellie Brady. Ellie, having been locked up in a mental institution since she murdered her daughter, may hold the key to the whole thing - and her story as it unfolds and as you learn of her pain is utterly compelling. I'll leave that there - Ellie's story is hers, no spoilers here.

As the police, and particularly the rather brusque but seemingly lovely O'Connor attempt to track a serial killer, Kate does her level best to send them down the right path. Highly professional, dedicated to her job, Kate often therefore takes other things for granted. Hey we all know that one right? It gives her a dash of realism - she is flawed yes, and highly readable. I'm very pleased that we are going to meet her again.

The story twists and turns its way to an exciting and satisfying conclusion...all in all a most terrific read. The Doll's House sits on my shelf. I'm quite eager to get to it. Sorry though Kate Pearson, I have to find out what Inspector Lynley is up to first - but soon!

Happy Reading Folks!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Red Ribbons (Dr Kate Pearson)
Red Ribbons (Dr Kate Pearson) by Louise Phillips (Paperback - 1 May 2013)
5.59