Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 October 2011
As a total technophobe, a friend of mine had to point out the Twitter account "@Queen_UK" that this is a spin off from........and I have been following her majesty ever since!! Loving the fact the HRH appears to be a drinker and thinker like the rest of us!!
Was slightly concerned that the book might be a padded out version...but it's not...it's hilarious!....a really easy pick-up and put-down book, that actually made me giggle out loud at times....and I'm a fairly harsh critic....
Can highly recommend....good to lend to your mates and am strongly considering a bulk order for Christmas prezzies...would get a lot sorted in one go....
on 20 October 2011
Funniest book I have read for years. My favourite characters are Nick Clegg and Camilla. Agree with Her Majesty that Philip Schofield should be Prime Minister.
on 4 December 2011
I bought this as a follower on twitter and daily chuckler. It's a lovely, entertaining and very easy read. One of those wonderful books that you can read a little as and when you like, if you feel like a chuckle. Buy it. If you have a sense of humour and even a rudimentary knowledge of the British royal family and politics, you'll love it.
on 7 November 2011
Brilliant, witty read, just like the twitter daily quips.
It just about lasted me a flight from Heathrow to JFK, and I was laughing out loud the whole flight.

Keep them coming please maam!
on 23 October 2011
I've followed @Queen_Uk for the last two years and was delighted to hear that this book was coming out.

I found it an excellent read building substance and depth to the themes from twitter. If you follow @Queen_Uk and find it funny then this book is a must. If you don't use Twitter this is still a very funny stand alone book.
Long live the Queen!

Gin anyone?
on 14 November 2011
This is an excellent book I fully recommend it to anybody who is vaguely interested in politics or just general banter.
on 26 October 2011
I don't often write reviews of books, but I also don't often laugh aloud when reading them. I have only ever found Guy Browning to be this funny and addictive.

Whether you're a royalist or not, I can guarantee that this will make you laugh. I recommend it highly - especially if you're Nick Clegg! I only wish this was the Queen's real diary.
on 12 June 2012
After all of the Diamond Jubilee Celebrations, I found myself completely enamoured with the Royal Family and really wanted to read a book about them! I did, like a lot of others, love the Queen [of Twitter]'s running commentary of the celebrations and when I found out she had released a 'Jubilee Celebration' edition of her book Gin O'Clock, I desperately had to get my hands on it!

The Queen [of Twitter] is also known as @Queen_UK on the popular social networking site and has hundreds of thousands of followers on twitter. If you're not one of them, I'd highly recommend following her right now! I have followed her for quite a while and she is never incapable of making me laugh out loud. The figure is a parody of the Queen and often comments (in her own, unique manner) on current events. If you like @Queen_UK's tweets, you will love this book.

Gin O'Clock is a collection of diary entries written by 'The Queen' dating from 2011 all the way up to her Diamond Jubilee. Just like the Twitter account, the book features plenty of British (and overseas, for that matter) events - everything you can imagine seemed to be mentioned, without the book feeling over crammed - even the famous Coronation Street tram crash was included in there! I believe that, at the start of each entry, was a tweet that was actually posted that day. I was really impressed with everything that was included and for anyone who followed popular events of the past couple of years, this will definitely bring up some fun memories. Being the Queen's diary, we always get her very frank opinion on whatever's happening in the world and the political satire, in particular, was absolutely brilliant.

I loved reading about all of the Royals and important worldwide figures, as described by Her Majesty. It's so difficult to choose a favourite moment or person, but favourite portrayals included the DoE, Camilla, Edward and the deputy prime minister, Nick Clegg. Of course, the corgis weren't forgotten as we got to hear about their thoughts (well, see their behaviour) on the PM, David Cameron! I don't think I could give them justice by simply describing them, as nobody can do that better than The Queen, but I honestly thought that the portrayals were excellent.

I did fear, after reading so many tweets, that the humour would become repetitive and a little tiresome, but thankfully that wasn't the case. I did read this book continuously and very quickly indeed - the format of the book certainly makes it a quick read, which maybe wasn't the best idea, but I didn't want to stop! There are a lot of 'Post-it' notes scattered throughout the book, with little lists that the Queen has made and I found that they separated the book up quite well. I wouldn't recommend to read this in one sitting, as it probably does take a bit of a shine of the effect of the book (some phrases are repeated), but as a quick read now and then for a bit of a laugh, this is ideal.

The Queen [of Twitter] is one of, if not the funniest parodies around and I couldn't recommend it strongly enough. I know that this is a book that I'll return to now and again as I think it will always be able to cheer me up. I challenge anyone who picks up this book not to have a big smile on their face by the end of it.
on 6 June 2012
Having been a fan of Elizabeth Windsor on Twitter for a while, I was delighted to receive Gin O'Clock as a gift recently. I cannot recommend this book enough to you as it offers the funniest fictional insight into the life of our dearly beloved Queen and her 'normal' family. Extremely witty and superbly written. It is so funny to think of our Queen settling down for a relaxing evening in front of the TV with the DoE, seven eighths full of gin, and commenting "Sod all on television!" and then rising the next day with a "Queen Mother of a hangover". Also, while at Balmoral asking "Is there nothing on the walls here that the DoE hasn't shot?".Marvelous stuff. David Cameron, Nick Clegg and Boris Johnson - read at your peril. Nick Clegg is treated as a toddler being given an Etch a Sketch while the rest of the MP's get iPads. Hilarious.

Everyone, royalist or not can get a great deal of enjoyment from this very clever and well written, warm hearted, extremely funny book. Every home should own this; it's a laugh out loud experience.
on 8 December 2011
A very witty look at the Royal Family from the aspect of the 'Queen''s account on Twitter. A must-have for all those who love the twitter account, this has been expanded and further written so as to provide even more brilliant details.

For those not in the know, this little coffee-table book follows the fictional life of Britain's Queen as she struggles daily to manage her wild family while maintaining sanity. It mainly shares her thoughts on real-life situations such as the phone hacking scandal, and the Royal Wedding, but also shows supporting players in her life, such as Charles who is occasionally allowed to wear a plastic crown and refuses to take it off all day, and Andrew who is a massive fan of Strictly Come Dancing and dresses up for each episode, not to mention the occasional (and wonderful) interjections from the Duke of Edinburgh.

I particularly like this because it takes a very funny and clever stance on the Royal Family, with the Queen painted as far more ordinary than usual, acting as a ruler not only of her land but of her family. It's also good in that for once, there is no mention of a bad atmosphere between Camilla and the Queen, but in fact that relationship is painted as a comradely friendship.

Great fun - even my anti-monarchist friend read it and guffawed (a lot) - the perfect little coffee table book for Christmas!!