4.0 out of 5 stars Bobby D is back
Happy Hour in Hell (Bobby Dollar book 2)
Bobby Dollar returns and the afterlife just ain't getting any easier for our hero!
Published 10 months ago by paul r

2.0 out of 5 stars The Empire Strikes Back
This reads like a linking book in a trilogy - the middle book where everything goes wrong before the penultimate showdown and the main character ends with his face ground into the dirt. Except it's not nearly as entertaining as The Empire Strikes Back.

Published 9 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars The Empire Strikes Back, 3 Oct 2013

Instead of being swept up in events, this time Bobby goes on his own quest and spends an inordinate amount of time being tortured. It became so tiresome that I started skimming large sections of the book just to see what happened at the end. The torture scenes read like gratuitous events thrown in for a bit of grotesque colour, and while it is a relief that Bobby seems to emerge from them with his jaunty outlook and sense of humour intact, it does make you wonder what the point of them was.

The overall background universe of the series was developed with just enough detail to keep you wanting more. A couple of the twists were fairly predictable, but I felt this book was just trying to set the scene for a massive denouement later in the series. In fact, I hope the entire set up of Heaven and Hell in this universe is shattered beyond recognition.

I will probably buy the next book in this series, because I am a devoted Tad Williams fan, but after reading this I had to go out and immediately buy a trashy romance with a happy ending just to improve my mood.

Writing style: *****
Characterisation: *****
Pace: *
Plot development: *
Ending: *

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the original., 5 Nov 2013
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Happy Hour in Hell (Bobby Dollar) (Hardcover)
OK, the second book in the series and to be honest with you, one that after the pretty epic beginning felt more than a little flat. Our principle hero is still as strong, the dialogue excellent but when you add to this something sadly lacking with the plot as well as overall story development all round left me feeling a little cheated. That's not to say that it's a bad book, its just that when the tale isn't furthered it feels more like filler for a solid and high action conclusion in the third part. A great shame.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 5 Nov 2013
Not as good as the first Bobby Dollar book. Too much time spent on just escaping from the bad guys and a rather disappointing ending, not with the outcome, just in the way it seemed to fizzle out!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bobby D is back, 9 Sep 2013
Happy Hour in Hell (Bobby Dollar book 2)
I've been a fan of Tad Williams' work since I first picked up The Dragonbone Chair way back in the early 90's but was sceptical when I heard what the subject matter of his new series was. Needless to say the blend of urban fantasy, noirish plotting and sense of humour soon won me over and I devoured The Dirty Streets of Heaven in around 2 days.
Somehow I was lucky to receive any early copy of the second book and sat down to immerse myself in the continuing adventures of the angel Doloriel.
Firstly let me say that Happy Hour in Hell is a relevant term as there is very little happiness for our leading character, starting with an elevator trip straight out of Angel Heart as he's delivered to his starting point on the neronian bridge.
Experiencing Hell from its lower depths to its despicable capital Bobby D has very little to smile about and proves that Dante gave us the PG13 version of what's to come if we don't all behave ourselves.
Picking up where TDSoH left us Bobby is determined to get back his demonic girlfriend from her ex (who just happens to be a Grand Duke of Hell) and forms some unexpected alliances to get to Hell where his troubles really begin.
Tad paints a pretty vivid picture of the underworld and its occupants, presenting us with the idea that Hell is a society that makes you work for everything that you need to survive (and by work I mean the daily 9-5 doesn't end just because you died it just gets worse!) and that unlike Heaven it seems to be solidly based on a familiar capitalist framework. You need money to eat, you need shelter and you need water (of a type) to drink. There are cars, boats and machines but don't expect any environmentally friendly Hybrids or a clean air act.
Making friends and powerful enemies on his journey Bobby (in a snazzy new demon body) makes his way through several of Hells entries in this years Lonley Planet guide.
The pacing of the book is excellent and even when there doesn't seem to be a lot happening you get drawn along by Bobby's constantly running interior monologue. Less Chandleresque than the first book HHiH still retains its noir style and Tad displays a dry sense of humour that I really enjoyed. Bobby is an Angelic hero by accident not choice and his witty come backs at times when he is on the receiving end of some pretty brutal torture reminds me of Robert Mitchum in those old B&W films I used to watch on Sunday afternoons.
I have a couple of gripes but nothing major that will prevent me from counting down the days till the third instalment. After reading MS&T, Otherland etc I found the 400+ pages a little short but then worry that if it had been longer Tad would have spent that time filling pages with even more nightmarish images of Hellbound torture and suffering so maybe it's a good thing. The sex, I've never read anything similar in Tad's other books and it just doesn't seem to sit right. I'm no prude but some of it just didn't seem necessary (saying that Bobby's encounter with the Lady Zinc will give most guys nightmares!).
All in all a good follow up to TDSoH, second books can be notoriously difficult to pull off, but I think that Tad has done well here, the politics of Heaven & Hell make for an interesting storyline and just who is Kephas?
One final point, Bobby, Bobby, Bobby. Scoolboy error pal, what's the saying, "the Devil is in the detail!".

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy hour in bed with Bobby Dollar, 2 July 2014
Completely different from previous Tad Williams books that I have read and thoroughly enjoyed. This second book was just as enjoyable and very difficult to put down. I can picture all the characters and and have a few favourites; Riprash, Gog, Clarence and Harry though the mule seems a somewhat dubious soul at the moment!

Eagerly waiting for the next volume.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love Bobby dollar, liked his trip through Hell less, 6 Jun 2014
I loved the first book and the character is still good in this. The guy can write. But bobby Dollar is alone in this book without any of his friends to bounce off. You lose the familiarity of the San Judas community and that also means a lot of the humour which arises from the incongruity of hard-drinking angel living in the States is gone. The story's is still strong but I find I'm reading this one to get to the third IFSWIM.

5.0 out of 5 stars Geo31, 1 May 2014
Really good read! Keeps the pace going to the very end in this sequel. Looking forward to the next in the trilogy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun though more disturbing than I would've guessed., 7 April 2014
I loved the first book in the series and could not wait for the second one to come out. I struggled with the first half of this one but not because of the writing style or the plot which were still quite entertaining but because of the clash with my own ontological views. Second half was easier to read as major principles of the book's reality have already been set and I could focus on the action which was fun. Though I preferred the way theology and action were balanced in the first book, I would still recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy follow up, 1 April 2014
L. O. Shea "lenoshea" (Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happy Hour in Hell (Bobby Dollar) (Hardcover)
And so Bobby does a Dante. Whereas the first book was a noir thriller ( albeit with angels and demons etc) the second is a road movie in hell alà Dante. Nasty and atmospheric . You might almost describe it as a rouge as the overbearing ambience is red. From the flames to the scales on the demons - or at least that's how I saw it when reading. Very Good. Looking forward to the next one.

3.0 out of 5 stars hard going, 12 Feb 2014
It was okay, lots of fill, way too much time in hell, needed to get on with it, I get the feeling these authors just want to make money stringing this stuff out way too long.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Happy Hour in Hell (Bobby Dollar)
Happy Hour in Hell (Bobby Dollar) by Tad Williams (Hardcover - 26 Sep 2013)
12.91