5.0 out of 5 stars Deception On His Mind
I'm a fan of murder mystery and read this genre widely. I like the Inspector Lynley books but was absolutely delighted by this storyline and content. The Asian communities in England are not often written about but this seemed very perceptive.
Published on 30 Aug 2004 by rvlevey

2.0 out of 5 stars Painfully anachronistic
Published on 28 Dec 2007 by Bupster

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Deception On His Mind, 30 Aug 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars A tour de force, 13 Jan 2001
A. K. Wright (Woking in Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This is Elizabeth's George's best book so far and I have read them all. The characterisation of Barbara Havers, and the inspector she works with is excellent. The growing relationship between Barabara and Azhar is touching, and there is a valuable and instructive exploration of the racism that exists in our society. The book is also gripping - a very good read, more powerful if you've read some of the others first, as George is good at developing her characters a bit at a time. I hope the sequel to her most recent In pursuit of the Proper Sinner, doesn't take too long.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good mystery, pity about Asian stereotypes, 23 Sep 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Deception on His Mind (Hardcover)
This is a very good detective story with plenty of suspects and strong character development for its genre. Very few indications that the author does not live in Britain. However, The attempt to portray a British Asian community shows she doesn't know any, and relies on sterotypes. Two tips for EG if she wants to include Asians again: read 'Finding a Voice - Asian Women in Britain' by Amrit Wilson; and don't believe everything your British police contacts tell you about illegal immigration.

2.0 out of 5 stars Painfully anachronistic, 28 Dec 2007
I think Elizabeth George is one of the better writers in the genre, despite not being native to the culture she writes about. I overlooked some of the mistakes in slang and customs in the earlier books, but by this stage in the series one expects better. Who in God's name describes Pakistanis as "coloureds" in the 1990s? It's like an Alf Garnett programme, only the makers of those would probably not have mistaken Hindus for Muslims. Just as I wince every time I read Winston Nkata's name (why would a police constable - or indeed any young man in the 1980s or 1990s - have a West Indian first name and an African surname?) I cringed at every scene involving second generation Pakistanis. I know she can do better than this - What Came Before He Shot Her is a brilliant, extended piece of social observation - but this is a miserable, embarrassing example of what happens when you fail to do your research and write instead from a considerable distance.

3.0 out of 5 stars unrealistic, 22 Sep 1999
By A Customer
A writer muzst alwasy be careful when writing about a culture she's not familiar with - no amount of research can cover the little mistakes. For instance, no Pakistani would refer to him/herself as an Asian - lumping all Asians together under this word, Only non-Asians do that! A Pakistani would refer to himself and his people specifically as Pakistanis. (Or would an Englishman, discussing his own compatriots, refer to them as "we Europeans"?) Also, she often brings in Hindu habits into the Muslim world. As such, the whole plot falls flat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping mystery!, 28 Jan 2014
This review is from: Deception on His Mind (Inspector Lynley Mysteries 09) (Paperback)
Really enjoyed George's novel Deception on His Mind. Inspector Lynley wasn't in this novel but this didn't detract from the story. I found the setting of Essex very interesting as I used to live in the area. This was the only book of hers I hadn't read (except the new book 2013).

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Yarn, 12 Nov 2013
I like Elizabeth George as a writer anyway, but this story dealt with some contentious issues of race etc in a very clever way. As well as that, it was such a good story that I didn't begin to guess "who done it" until nearly the end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspector Lynley without Inspector Lynley, 9 Oct 2013
An Inspector Lynley where Inspector Lynley made no appearance, and actually this one was all the better for it. Barbara Havers gets to take centre stage, and I enjoyed that - I had got really very bored with the Lynley/Helen relationship and the whole thing about Deborah and her husband not being able to have children was getting me down, so it was refreshing. There were all the usual things in this that annoy me - principally some of the writing and tone is VERY patronising - but there were all the usual things in it that keep brining me back. I had a think about what they were, since I rarely give this series more than 3 stars, so for what it's worth:

- good, solid, old-fashioned police crime stories with no blood and guts and lots of detective work
- interesting crimes, that are gritty, don't shy away from controversial subjects
- the politics of policing
- alternative points of view. I like this in particular, because you get to see inside the minds of the various suspects and other characters, you get to have one up on the police at various points, and yet you are still kept guessing. Which leads me to the last point
- really well-written whodunnits that tax your mind.

So I will be reading the next one soon, and I'm really hoping that poor Barbara doesn't have the book thrown at her after the ending of this one, though I suspect she will.

4.0 out of 5 stars After much enjoyment, 26 Jun 2013
I was really sorry to arrive at the end of this story, hope Barbara is going to be alright when she returns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Let's Me Down, 1 April 2013
Cracking story, well rounded characters whose own stories are allowed to develop. I don't want to go into the story, except to add Lynley is not in this one, this involves Haver's and her Asian neighbours, and was that good, I did not miss Lynley!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa20e8a5c)

Deception on His Mind (Inspector Lynley Mysteries 09)
Deception on His Mind (Inspector Lynley Mysteries 09) by Elizabeth George (Paperback - 2 Aug 2012)
5.59