Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 October 2015
What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object? That is the story of this book. The irresistible force is the editor or a high circulation newspaper who about eight years ago fathered a child in a short relationship. The immovable object is the child's mother who is now a junior minister in the government and has a stable marriage. She will.not allow any publicity when the girl is kidnapped. She refuses to tell the police. The father is under pressure from an unknown source to print on the front page of the newspaper the fact that he is the father. This would undermine the high moral stance that his newspaper has always had.

The tension is high and unrelenting. It is well written as the story proceeds. Inspector Lynley does get drawn in and Sergeant Havers is given reponsibility for pursuing one arm of the enquiry into Wiltshire.. It is a good book.
on 28 January 2016
Another tour-de-force by this inimitable author. The corridors of power and corruption are broad and wide. Whilst I would normally give a 5 star rating I have made a conscious decision to keep that rating in reserve for a truly outstanding book. I am not at all disappointed by any of this author's books. I can get totally engrossed so that I can read her book in one sitting. This one however took me 3 sittings to complete. This I think was due to the complexity of the plot which had me turning back to check I had not missed anything. So, if you like the genre, you won't be disappointed with this great book.
This is a long, complex and convoluted read so if you prefer your investigations more linear then this might be one to avoid. George is as interested in character development as she is in the mystery and that shows particularly here.

When Eve Bowen's daughter goes missing, she is sure that the girl's father is behind it and so she does nothing. But the truth is far more complex and painful than her reading allows, and the emotional fallout from this event far broader than anyone expects.

Lynley and the ever-irritating Helen take a back seat in this book which is probably a good thing, and Havers gets to manage an investigative strand outside London for herself.

I don't want to say too much as the plot is long and complex, involving Tory politicians (think Maggie Thatcher and Edwina Currie), tabloid editors, and the run-up to an election.

The clues are meticulously planted in the narrative but with great sleight of hand, something I'd never really associated with George before. This shows her starting to move away from the purely detective novel (which, sadly, leads to some of her worst books later) but here she pulls it off magnificently.
VINE VOICEon 11 July 2007
Since one of the negative reviews has been placed 3 times, this seems rather an unbalanced rating.
This was the first George book I read, and I was astonished. I did'nt know there were people writing like this.
An absolutely gripping story.
on 3 September 2015
Not a great fan of all the soulful heart searching love scenes between Lynley and his love and St James and his wife. All I can really say is this story is a great deal more involved than the television episode.
on 2 August 2014
Another winner from Elizabeth George. The perfect description of the psycopathology of many successful businessmen and politicians woven within this intense story line. Gripping. I could not put it down.
on 10 February 2015
Inspector Lynley, and Sergeant Barbara Havers.
Fan of TV series.
Thought I'd try the author's books at last!
Have just received, so not yet read.
Looking forward to it.
on 21 May 2016
Brilliant read characters brought to life in every chapter couldn't wait to turn each page . Gripping story. Cannot wait to read the next book by Elizabeth George
on 9 February 2015
Working our way through the Lynley series. As with most of her books, big reads with the occasional tendency to be verbose.
on 10 July 2015
Great story ,great characters ,a well thought out plot that keeps you wanting to go on reading. Please keep them coming.