5.0 out of 5 stars Love, Attraction, Lust and Motherhood, with No Apple Pie!
Missing Joseph is a powerful story about what it means to be a human being, a parent, a lover, a friend, a daughter and someone who misuses others. While there is a mystery in the book, the story itself transcends the mystery. The detection involved is skillfully designed to help illuminate Ms. George's main subjects.
The characters involved build on past novels by...
Published on 13 Jun 2005 by Donald Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - lacks plot and pace
Published on 16 April 2008 by Rachel Irvine

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, Attraction, Lust and Motherhood, with No Apple Pie!, 13 Jun 2005
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
The characters involved build on past novels by looking more deeply into the relationships between Simon and Deborah St. James, Thomas Lynley and Lady Helen Clyde, and Barbara Havers and her mother. To extend those themes in new directions, Ms. George adds several new characters who are tied together by tragedy. These characters include a widowed local constable, an Anglican vicar, the vicar's witchcraft-practicing housekeeper, a reclusive provider of potions from herbs and her daughter. Seldom will you discover a book that develops so many characters in so many dimensions in one book. I found myself staying up past 1 a.m. to finish the story, and would have gone later had it been necessary.
As the book opens, the vicar raises a fundamental question that resonates throughout the book: Where's Joseph? Originally asked in connection to the many images of Jesus and Mary, that question takes on haunting new meanings before the book ends.
Even if you have never read another book in this distinguished series, I'm sure you would find this book to be a rewarding choice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - lacks plot and pace, 16 April 2008
I have enjoyed many of Elizabeth George's books, and it has surprised me that I 'discovered' her relatively recently. Like other readers I enjoy the classic 30s detective stories, and PD James in the modern era. I have found many of George's books gripping - really well-written, with extremely good plot lines and interesting back-drop with the main characters developing their own lives through the novels - rather in the style of Dorothy L Sayers. Having just read 'Missing Josepth', I now know why it took me so long to find her. I read this book a long time ago, and it put me off her writing for ages. In fairness, the book is well-written, and the plot development of the relationship between Deborah and Simon St John is good, but the actual crime story is turgid - extremely slow-paced and with none of the twists and layers of other work. The whole lot seems shrouded in the Lancastrian mist! I would recommend others before attempting this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars over descibed, 29 Aug 2013
I found the basic story gripping so I did have the patience to read through pages of irrelevant description around minor characters but I would be pretty desperate for a read before I tried again. Three pages about the fridge and removal problems of a character who has no bearing on the main plot at all and that at a point when the action is getting interesting. This writer could be really good if she learns to precis all descriptions and prune the characters down to the ones that matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Read from Elizabeth George, 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: Missing Joseph (Inspector Lynley Mysteries 06) (Paperback)
I ordered this book because it was the only Elizabeth George I had still to read and couldn't find it elsewhere. An avid fan of this author, I was not disappointed. In fact it was a good book to finish the Inspector Lynley series with, a nice plot with good interest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Missing Joseph, 3 Jun 2014
Ms. Therese Gleeson "hells auntie" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Missing Joseph (Inspector Lynley Mysteries 06) (Paperback)
I love all Elizabeth George's books. This is another one in her Insp. Lynley series. Perhaps it is Insp. Lynley I love.

3.0 out of 5 stars review, 26 May 2014
to early to rate as I havent started reading it yet,ask me in a months time when I will have read it

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written but doesn't feel original, 24 Jan 2013
Bee of Good Cheer (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Missing Joseph (Inspector Lynley Mysteries 06) (Paperback)
Well written (although there are sometimes anachronisms due to the American author using a British setting). I'm beginning to find her books a bit samey, but as a one at a time read, quite a good bed time book ...

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 11 Jan 2013
Full of twists and turns. Interesting development of characters and explorations of the moral and real worlds. On to the next one in the series now!

1.0 out of 5 stars Missing Joseph, 25 Dec 2012
How can 4 beautiful, rich, talented people be so self obsessed and boring Get over your selves and concentrate on the mystery

1.0 out of 5 stars Missing Joseph: Poor, 13 Dec 2012
If you had a no star rating I would have used that! I have thrown the book (electronically) away! I will not be reading anything more by this author.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Missing Joseph (Inspector Lynley Mysteries 06)
Missing Joseph (Inspector Lynley Mysteries 06) by Elizabeth George (Paperback - 7 Jun 2012)
5.59