Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 February 2012
I couldn't put Gang of One book down, it was utterley gripping. As the story unfolded and the tension and dread of what was ahead began to mount, I really felt like I was going through those emotions too, walking into Big Spring was terrifying. Gary writes openly about his experiences exposing his own thoughts and emotions throughout his extradition and imprisonment and gives a fascinating insight into this world. He brings to life the characters he meets along the way and manages to find humour in the most despairing of situations.
on 28 February 2012
an unputdownable page turner from start to finish which is a must read for MPs considering whether to amend our extradition laws to the US. as a father of young children this heartbreaking story had me in bits from start to finish. far to close to the bone and makes you think twice about doing business in the US
on 13 February 2012
I read this very quickly because it held my attention from the very beginning. A good page turner. It is quite incredible that not much has changed since the Shawshank Redemption days. That was fiction but Gary`s story is all the more incredible because it is true. A very good read.
on 22 March 2012
Gang of One is an inspiring and compelling read on a subject that is still all too relevant in todays newspapers.

It is an honest and moving account of a terrible ordeal. The book deals with raw emotional issues and will make you both laugh and cry. The "coping mechanisms" that Gary employed to get him through his time in Big Spring and the preparation beforehand are fascinating. Gary should be proud of how he coped with his situation in both Houston and in Big Spring and came out of the other side of this nightmare, ready to continue his search for Katrina.

I would thoroughly recommend this book and it would be a good "book club" book evoking plenty of discussion.
on 25 January 2012
I'm not too often concerned by tales of a convicted criminal, white-collar fraudester or not. Yet this book makes for extremely compelling (and worrying) reading. Mulgrew is disarmingly self-aware and gives real insight into the fears and heart-wrenching trauma of the consequences of being caught up in a prosecution that doesn't seem to match his conduct. I dread to think how many similar tales exist but remain untold. The book's funny and a tear jerker - sometimes at the same time. If you read it, bet you can't put it down (mine was stolen mid-read from me by family desperate to see for themselves what is gripping me so). I only hope we don't have to wait long for the sequel - with the happiest of endings in his finding his precious daughter. I wish him the greatest of luck in that search.
on 11 March 2012
The book provides a detailed portrait of life in a US jail from a Scottish point of view. It starts with the intimidation of the suspects by the US Department of Justice including pressure on each of the Nat. West three to rat out the others and the almost total ineptitude of UK Law to protect UK citizens from the US machine once in motion. Once in the US Gary's book provides a detailed in sight to the day to day operations of a main stream US jail and the ethnic groupings that divide the inmate population. It is a riveting read and yet a sobering insight in to one man's plight in a foreign environment. I would strongly recommend it to anyone with an interest in social or political history or just for high interest general reading.
on 17 March 2012
I have never written a review but after reading this book (and then getting my husband to read it too!) I felt I had to encourage others to. From the first few pages I was hooked, the strategies that Gary used to prepare himself for the nightmare that lay ahead were both funny and heart rendering. Nothing could really have prepared him for what was to come and I can still hardly believe that there are prisons effectively policed by gangs. Some part of the book made me laugh out loud (very rare for me when reading) but I think it was due to the relief from the tension that Gary managed to build, I was scared for him! The only critisism I have is that it was too short..... what happened when you left? Where is part 2? Fabulous read.
on 28 February 2012
Having spent 30 years in the prison service I was very keen on reading this book. It is a real heart wrending story of someone who was let badly down by the British Government. I enjoyed every page and just hope that Gary writes a sequel telling of his experiences prior to leaving America and on returning to Britain. It would be good to learn how his family had dealt with his absence and if (hopefully) he has been re-united with his daughter. I admire him for the stance he adopted during his sentence and of the fact that despite all he had gone through he still had feelings for others serving time. A real story of grit and determination and good old Glasgow "bottle".
on 26 January 2012
It says it in the title.

This book is not about the Natwest Three as such. It's the story of a Scottish ex-bannker who is chucked into a notorious US 'low security' prison. By 'low security' read 'highly dangerous'. Low level policing allows the gang culture of America's cities to rule. If an inmate doesn't belong to a gang, he is a nobody. A nobody has no protection and no respect - two vital ingredients for basic survival in this environment.

This man believes deeply in his own innocence, and is psychologically in pieces due to his enforced separation from his kids, whilst having to endure the terrifying experience of a US prison.

This book is a window onto the US legal and penal system. Whatever you do in your life, if you can possibly help it, don't get involved with either of them.
on 21 January 2016
Has some comedy value, with the story being told from the sort of standpoint, "I was terrified at the time, but can laugh about it all now." Mulgrew constantly implies that he did nothing wrong, is completely innocent, operated with good intentions his whole professional career and somehow has been wrongly imprisoned and/or made a scapegoat. Even goes as far to imply that himself and his children are the wronged party. Really becomes irritating, like we were all born yesterday. I've read several of these types of books and it's a rare thing for somebody to just own up and take any responsibility for their actions.