Format: Paperback|Change

I've awaited this book for a while now - the sequel to the heart-warming true story of the little black cat called Cleo who helped Helen and her family through the tragic accident that stole Helen's young son Sam from them when she was just 28 years old, and how Cleo bought laughter back into their family.

This continues on Helen's story after the sad death of 24-year-old Cleo. It tells of Helen's determination that no other feline will grace their new home (Where have I heard that before?) . However when she battles cancer and particularly as she recovers from her mastectomy, her visiting sister spots an adorable kitten in a pet shop window (`Who in their right mind buys a kitten from a pet shop?'). Well, when Helen sees this particular Tonkinese kitten she is spell bound and thinking up a name for him before the tills ring out her ownership. This is the scene setting for the rest of Helen's story involving a family wedding, the birth of her first grandchild, her daughters conversion to Buddhism and of course Jonah's initiation into her family. Helen also visits Sri Lanka to visit her daughter and is mesmerised but this island that began its life as an island called Serendipity. It's a lovely story about family life, love and acceptance.
on 13 June 2012
Loved this book.
Helen's style of writing just draws the reader in,being a Mother of two daughters I could relate to her story.
Her sense of humour throughout her book is amazing,I laughed out loud.
This is a really uplifting book.
Thankyou Helen for sharing such a personal account of your life and of course Lydia,not forgetting the rest of the family.
on 8 July 2012
This story explores a woman's journey with breast cancer, and her complicated relationship with her daughter who wants to become a Buddhist nun. It is a story about healing, acceptance and letting go. I couldn't put it down - reading "Cats and Daughters" became my full-time job over the course of one weekend. It was fabulous!
on 24 January 2014
Helen writes in a very absorbing way, a real page turner just like Cleo. Would have liked more detail about little Jonah and slightly less about her elder daughter though. Or a different, more appropriate title maybe. Very enjoyable book, anyway.
on 19 April 2013
This is a beautiful heart warming book all about relationships, humans and animals.
I read Cleo as well being a cat lover, the very first book by this auther and was simply blown away by it. So I had a high expectation about her 2nd book. Needn't have worried as this book is as good as if not better than her 1st. I personally do not enjoy a good relationship with my own mother so I was so very moved reading this. The auther has such a excellent sense of humour as well so it is a joy to read!!
Whether you are a cat person or not, you will not be disappointed.
on 3 May 2013
I chose this particular book as I had already read "Cleo" and found it entertaining and extremely moving. I am only a third of the way through reading "After Cleo came Jonah" but am finding it just as good. So far there is nothing about the book, that I dislike and I would recommend it to anyone who likes to read about real people's lives. Helen Brown has suffered more than her fair share of knocks in life but hasn't allowed them to blight everything for evermore. Writing about it has obviously been part of the healing process for Helen.
on 5 December 2015
When I finished Helen Brown's first book entitled Cleo - I simply had to see if she had written anything else. I was delighted when I found she had written a sequel. She is a superb writer - she tells a great story with wit, passion and emotion. (I was a little confused as there are two books after Cleo - apparently 'After Cleo came Jonah' is the exact same book as this one - just published in a different country.) This is one of the best written books I've read (and I've read a lot!).
on 11 February 2015
This follows on from Helen's first book, 'Cleo' that I fell in love with. It continues the story of Helen's life with her family and adapting to life after Cleo, unexpectedly Helen found herself with a new kitten and it's here that we meet Jonah. Parts of his adventures in the household made me laugh and there were times when I hoped that all would turn out well for all involved, don't want to give anything away. This is a really uplifting read and very easy to lose yourself in.
on 26 January 2014
Helen Brown has a wonderful style of writing, so easy to read, (and for someone with dyslexia that's a must) . Her books both Cleo and Jonah are so uplifting, especially for people who have lost loved one's. She has that great knack of having you crying one minute and laughing the next. Through out everything she never seems to loose sight of her great sense of humor, I recommend these books to everyone who loves their pets, their brilliant. Anne.
on 19 September 2013
I am not one for reading, infact I hate it! I'm dyslexic too which makes me get really fustrated when reading something but this book, along with H Brown's Cleo book I have been able to really enjoy a good read. I have laughed reading these books, cried and so many other emotions from what a book should give to their reader.

Buy this book, great for all ages.