Format: Hardcover|Change

on 4 March 2013
I could not wait to get this book and at first view I want to try all the recipes. My husband and I are debating what to try first. The book has even inspired my other half to bake a cake ( that's a first) . Every recipe has a picture which I love as it lets you see what your cake SHOULD look like. Delia as usual has a lovely way of explaining things and she really inspires you to have a go and that everyone can make a cake. So far iv tried one recipe and it was delicious and even resembled the picture. I'm going to have to ration my baking to one cake a week or else I will be resembling one of the big fat muffins.
on 18 November 2013
I am a huge St Delia fan, owning many of her books. I bought the original "Cakes" book years ago in a car boot sale for a £1 so thought I would treat myself to the updated book. I am glad I only paid £5 for this version and here's why: the artistic design team have been allowed to go mad! Whoever thought it was a good idea to have all of the ingredients lists in small italic gold text - clearly not anyone who actually uses a cook book in a kitchen. The actual recipes are in tiny black text so also hard to read. But what about the photos you ask? Well they are numerous and very large. So if you want a nice picture bok then this is the one for you. I am going to keep using my tattly old £1 car boot sale copy as I can actually read the recipes. To me, it looks like Delia has had nothing whatsoever to do with the re-issue of this book. There isn't even a photo of her in it.
on 18 February 2014
Really good looking book. I understand what some reviewers have said about the font colour and justification used for the ingredients lists. It does make them awkward to read but I found I got used to it quickly and had no problem in good light. At least Delia is now listing the ingredients in the order used, a big improvement on previous books. Every recipe has a photo which is great. Most important of all, every recipe I've tried so far has come out perfectly, I'm a bit of a cookbook junkie and know that you can't say that often. I've used some of her tins for recipes where I had nothing similar and they were also great. Good old Delia!
on 18 March 2013
Love this book.

Unlike other reviewers, I find the fact that the ingredients are not listed quite refreshing. Maybe its just me (it probably is), but when looking at a recipe, if I see a great long list of ingredients, I feel slightly intimidated and put off. You dont get that with this book - and I find the prose style so much easier to follow.

And of course, in terms of method, you cannot go wrong with Delia. I have made a lot of her recipes over the years, and they have never gone wrong. I wish I could say the same for others - such as Nigella, and even the great Mary Berry - I have struggled with their recipes - and they have often gone wrong. But, this is a review of this book, so I shall carry on with that.

There really is quite a lot to choose from, as is often the case, that you could very easily spend the next year making cakes and not get bored. I would highly recommend this book for beginners, and some of the more seasoned among you. And I can highly recommend the Ultimate Carrot Cake - it really is out of this world!
on 9 December 2014
I already own the original Delia's Book of Cakes (1970's) purchased from Amazon marketplace. After reading the Amazon reviews on this new book I decided to get it from the library to see for myself whether the listing of ingredients as mentioned by many of the reviewers would be a problem for me. Unfortunately it is. I find them very unclear as they're all lumped together in the middle of the page, 3 or 4 ingredients to a line and in a very pale green/gold print. This is such a shame as without this type of printing it would be a perfect book, beautiful full page photographs of every cake and very clear method instructions. If this book is reprinted in the future with clear ingredient lists I will definitely purchase it. For the timebeing I will stick with the old book which has many of the same recipes but in a much clearer format. It may not be the most fashionable book with hardly any photos but the recipes turn out perfectly.
on 29 October 2013
I bought this book as it was £5.00. Like other reviewers have commented, the ingrediant list is in a very italic green font on each page so it is diffcult to see. There are a few recipes that I havent seen before, but for me there was nothing too 'new' about the recipes. I will try a few but I think its more a coffee table book - disappointing.
on 2 March 2013
I have had a copy of Delia's Cakes since it came out in paperback in the 1970s, and my original copy is falling apart now, I have used it to much over the years. So I was delighted that the new version would be coming out in hardback, which should make it much more robust for kitchen use.

And beautiful it is, with a very attractive wipeclean cover, no dust sleeve (which is much more practical for a cookery book I think. I have lots of lovely books with very tatty dust jackets) the pictures are perfect, not over styled, but look as though they would be easily achievable by a normal home cook. And many of my old favourites are included along with new recipes, including muffins that weren't in the 1970s version.

And yet I am rather irritated. Delia has made it very clear that she doesn't want to produce books or television programmes that are only for entertainment. She wants to teach people how to cook. So why in this book that is designed to work alongside her new online cookery school are certain important sections in pale sage green - oh so stylish, oh so hard to read when working from a book stand in the kitchen? And why are the ingredients in little pale green blocks?

There is a reason why ingredients are given in a list form, each item on its own line. It is so that it is easy to check that you have included everything. This book has ingredients in a little paragraph, with up to three ingredients on each line. And in the pale sage green typeface, that is impossible to read from a distance I feel sure that it will be easy to miss things.

To me, that makes this a coffee table book format, not a practical work book. So disappointing. I shall have to search out a second hand copy of my original paperback to use as a workbook, and keep this for enjoying for the entertainment. But I doubt that Delia would be happy with me doing that.

(review copy received from Hodder & Staughton. This review also appears on A Greedy Piglet blog)
66 comments|59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 April 2014
I needed this book as my old Delia cake book was completely disintegrating.The recipes that I have done have turned out perfectly . However, I don't like the format . The gold lettering is really hard to read. The way the ingredients are listed horizontally makes it hard to skim read and keep your place, you have to really dig around to find the size of the tin and the oven temperature because of the layout. It's a shame, because one of the things I have always loved about Delia's recipe books is they are so accessible and logically set out. Also, some of my old favourites have been left out so I have to keep the tatty old falling to pieces one after all.
on 27 August 2014
Delia's Cakes. Well what could anybody say except "Yum" from beginning to end and a very expanded waist line! Delia's recipes always work for me. I really appreciated her chapter on baking tins and I hope no one misses that out as it's very important to the success of the recipes. The contents is beautifully presented and I love the way that Delia 'talks'. This is my second copy. It is intended for my granddaughter as part of her cooking 'armoury' when she goes to university. My grandson also enjoys baking and it has proved to be a strong bonding process. Grandson, however, will get another of Delia's books when the time comes.
This book is excellent, it's so good that I originally bought it as a present for my mother in law, had a quick flick through it and decided it was a keeper and another book must be bought for my in-laws to ever have a chance of seeing this book.

What drew me to the book initially is simply the variety of cake recipes I wanted to make from leafing through it (I have added a full recipe list below to help see if it has similar appeal for you). Add to that each recipe has a wonderful image, a brief sentence introduction from Delia about the recipe, and a well laid out method; it's everything I want for in a recipe book.

I have uploaded a couple of images to this product page to try and give you an idea of the general format and layout of the recipe pages and a couple of the introductory sections.

The recipes are split into nine logical sections, and I am thankful for Delia's contents page at the front which lists every recipe within.

Further to recipes there are also some sections at the front of the book with some fairly self-explanatory headings:

Introduction
Other Ingredients
Gluten-free Cakes & Biscuits
Egg-free Cakes & Biscuits
The Deliaonline Cookery School

Even if you're an experienced baker it's worth referencing these sections (for example I wasn't aware that you can use spreadable butter straight from the fridge for cakes instead of block butter that you've had to wait to come up to room temperature).

The Deliaonline cookery school is just a paragraph about the launch of her online cookery school to coincide with the release of this book.

The recipes I have tried from the book have all turned out great, my mother in law was quite surprised! We made her the `old fashioned cherry cake', which is a favourite of hers, when we gave her the book. Both went down very well and Delia's tip re poking a third of the cherries in the top of the cake just before going into the oven meant for the first time I had an even spread of cherries in my cake.

All in all I really can't fault this book, and it was not one I would've bought for myself but on merit of how great the recipes looked (and thankfully are in practice!), I can only give it 5 stars.

Recipe list:

Lemon Griestorte
Spiced Apple & Cider Cake
Baked Vanilla Cheesecake with Caramel Sauce

Specialist Suppliers
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image