5.0 out of 5 stars What to bake first
I could not wait to get this book and at first view I want to try all the recipes. My husband and I are debating what to try first. The book has even inspired my other half to bake a cake ( that's a first) . Every recipe has a picture which I love as it lets you see what your cake SHOULD look like. Delia as usual has a lovely way of explaining things and she really...
Published on 4 Mar. 2013 by Amanda j

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't throw away the old paperbacks!!!
The ingredients lists are in pale green(?) why? It is very difficult to see (for an older person like me, I have to take off my glasses to squint at them). They are not itemised one above another but in a block format which you'll have to read from left to right and missing bits in between. The font is quite small, again, not for people with challenging eye-sights. And...
Published 17 months ago by Pixies

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A well put together cake book, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
I bought this book as a gift for my 17 year old daughter who is getting into baking. After looking at the alternatives I thought this book was easy to follow and had a wide range of cakes including the popular styles. My daughter loves it and has made some delicious cakes using Deliahs recipes. i am glad I chose this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 Mar. 2013
V. Carrick "Rob" (Kent) - See all my reviews
Love this book.

Unlike other reviewers, I find the fact that the ingredients are not listed quite refreshing. Maybe its just me (it probably is), but when looking at a recipe, if I see a great long list of ingredients, I feel slightly intimidated and put off. You dont get that with this book - and I find the prose style so much easier to follow.

And of course, in terms of method, you cannot go wrong with Delia. I have made a lot of her recipes over the years, and they have never gone wrong. I wish I could say the same for others - such as Nigella, and even the great Mary Berry - I have struggled with their recipes - and they have often gone wrong. But, this is a review of this book, so I shall carry on with that.

There really is quite a lot to choose from, as is often the case, that you could very easily spend the next year making cakes and not get bored. I would highly recommend this book for beginners, and some of the more seasoned among you. And I can highly recommend the Ultimate Carrot Cake - it really is out of this world!

4.0 out of 5 stars Delia's Cakes... a beautiful book but..., 2 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
I have had a copy of Delia's Cakes since it came out in paperback in the 1970s, and my original copy is falling apart now, I have used it to much over the years. So I was delighted that the new version would be coming out in hardback, which should make it much more robust for kitchen use.

And beautiful it is, with a very attractive wipeclean cover, no dust sleeve (which is much more practical for a cookery book I think. I have lots of lovely books with very tatty dust jackets) the pictures are perfect, not over styled, but look as though they would be easily achievable by a normal home cook. And many of my old favourites are included along with new recipes, including muffins that weren't in the 1970s version.

And yet I am rather irritated. Delia has made it very clear that she doesn't want to produce books or television programmes that are only for entertainment. She wants to teach people how to cook. So why in this book that is designed to work alongside her new online cookery school are certain important sections in pale sage green - oh so stylish, oh so hard to read when working from a book stand in the kitchen? And why are the ingredients in little pale green blocks?

There is a reason why ingredients are given in a list form, each item on its own line. It is so that it is easy to check that you have included everything. This book has ingredients in a little paragraph, with up to three ingredients on each line. And in the pale sage green typeface, that is impossible to read from a distance I feel sure that it will be easy to miss things.

To me, that makes this a coffee table book format, not a practical work book. So disappointing. I shall have to search out a second hand copy of my original paperback to use as a workbook, and keep this for enjoying for the entertainment. But I doubt that Delia would be happy with me doing that.

(review copy received from Hodder & Staughton. This review also appears on A Greedy Piglet blog)

4.0 out of 5 stars Delia's done it again., 21 April 2014
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
I needed this book as my old Delia cake book was completely disintegrating.The recipes that I have done have turned out perfectly . However, I don't like the format . The gold lettering is really hard to read. The way the ingredients are listed horizontally makes it hard to skim read and keep your place, you have to really dig around to find the size of the tin and the oven temperature because of the layout. It's a shame, because one of the things I have always loved about Delia's recipe books is they are so accessible and logically set out. Also, some of my old favourites have been left out so I have to keep the tatty old falling to pieces one after all.

5.0 out of 5 stars The contents is beautifully presented and I love the way that Delia 'talks', 27 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
Delia's Cakes. Well what could anybody say except "Yum" from beginning to end and a very expanded waist line! Delia's recipes always work for me. I really appreciated her chapter on baking tins and I hope no one misses that out as it's very important to the success of the recipes. The contents is beautifully presented and I love the way that Delia 'talks'. This is my second copy. It is intended for my granddaughter as part of her cooking 'armoury' when she goes to university. My grandson also enjoys baking and it has proved to be a strong bonding process. Grandson, however, will get another of Delia's books when the time comes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book., 25 July 2014
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
Delia at her best. Beautiful book with foolproof recipes. Sometimes I feel she overcomplicates the ingredients (for instance, asking for roasted pecans in the carrot cake recipe. I used raw walnuts with glorious results), but I have enough confidence and experience to replace them with easier alternatives. Still, I have baked with her recipes for 20 years and never a failure, not because of my virtues but because her recipes are SO good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 25 Oct. 2014
Sonia R (Herts, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
I love this book. My old Delia cake book was getting very tatty and needed replacing. It is not an exact copy of her old book, but all the favourites are there - Victoria Sandwich, Scones, Shortbread, lots of chocolate cakes and some new recipes. Nice pictures but I do agree that the ingredients list is difficult to read as the writing is pale green, so pretty annoying. Not bad for a fiver though!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Delia? then this is for you, 3 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
Absolutely love baking so couldn't resist a book by the queen herself. Some lovely recipes here. Really good. Nothing new. all manageable. Only criticism was in the layout of the recipes and the colour in which the ingredients were written. It is a faint gold colour and they are all clumped together rather that the normal vertical style list. Didn't stand out easily from page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delias Cakes., 25 Jun. 2014
C. Rossiter "superreds" (Sligo Ireland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
As always Delia's books live up to expectations,as a professional Chef I have used her recipes for years without a single failure.If you follow the recipe and instructions you will not fail to produce a perfect product every-time.I like this book as it has all the baking recipes in one place and will be used over and over again.I highly recommend the Ginger cake recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum!, 28 Oct. 2013
Ms. Susan Reynolds (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
As a long-standing cake maker and a Delia fan, I thought I would treat myself to this. Wasn't disappointed. Lots of excellent ideas and more importantly, most recipes have been tested and are suitable for gluten-free diets. I am increasingly being asked to supply these. Good section on pan sizes etc.for beginners to cake making, but having been baking for over 25 years, I can't afford to ditch the vast quantities of tins I already have - will just have to adapt the recipes to fit! I'm looking forward to trying some of the more exotic cakes and one day I will try the Creole Christmas cake - sounds like I might need to get the hangover cure in first though!

Good selection of recipes for beginners and those with more experience - however I have seen a lot of these recipes in her other books (never had one of her cake books before, but seen them in other books she has brought out) so maybe those with a complete selection of Delia books might like to check this out first to see if it's worth buying just for the cakes alone.

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

Delia's Cakes
Delia's Cakes by Delia Smith (Hardcover - 28 Feb. 2013)