5.0 out of 5 stars What to bake first

2.0 out of 5 stars Shame this book is difficult to use
Published 8 months ago by Seaside DH

5.0 out of 5 stars What to bake first, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
I could not wait to get this book and at first view I want to try all the recipes. My husband and I are debating what to try first. The book has even inspired my other half to bake a cake ( that's a first) . Every recipe has a picture which I love as it lets you see what your cake SHOULD look like. Delia as usual has a lovely way of explaining things and she really inspires you to have a go and that everyone can make a cake. So far iv tried one recipe and it was delicious and even resembled the picture. I'm going to have to ration my baking to one cake a week or else I will be resembling one of the big fat muffins.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old Delia!, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
I wanted this book especially as it had a selection of egg-less recipes and they are wonderful, especially if you have anyone with an egg allergy. The Marmalade cake is lovely. This book is up to Delia's usual high standard and everything turns out well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
Really good looking book. I understand what some reviewers have said about the font colour and justification used for the ingredients lists. It does make them awkward to read but I found I got used to it quickly and had no problem in good light. At least Delia is now listing the ingredients in the order used, a big improvement on previous books. Every recipe has a photo which is great. Most important of all, every recipe I've tried so far has come out perfectly, I'm a bit of a cookbook junkie and know that you can't say that often. I've used some of her tins for recipes where I had nothing similar and they were also great. Good old Delia!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
I love this book because it's pretty yet practical. I have to say that I don't agree with opinions that the 'stylish' approach doesn't work - I think it's lovely - although I can see how people with less than perfect eyesight may find the text difficult.
As for the recipes - it's refreshing to find a book with recipes I would actually use and recipes that really do turn out as you expect. I have a host of books that have impossibly complex recipes that never turn out the way they should do. I think this is a real gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent purchase, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
This book is great; good down to earth recipes. Have tried about four recipes already and they worked perfectly. Book is very nicely illustrated. As mentioned by an earlier reviewer, the ingredients listings are in too light a font and a bit hard to see. I recommended the book to my daughter and ordered one for her and she loved it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A winner which ever way you look at it, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
Bought a copy of this after losing my original Evening News edition. A superb range of recipes, beautiful photographs and a bargain price. Bought four more copies for friends as presents. A must if you enjoy cakes and biscuits. Brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delia's Cakes... a beautiful book but..., 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
I have had a copy of Delia's Cakes since it came out in paperback in the 1970s, and my original copy is falling apart now, I have used it to much over the years. So I was delighted that the new version would be coming out in hardback, which should make it much more robust for kitchen use.

And beautiful it is, with a very attractive wipeclean cover, no dust sleeve (which is much more practical for a cookery book I think. I have lots of lovely books with very tatty dust jackets) the pictures are perfect, not over styled, but look as though they would be easily achievable by a normal home cook. And many of my old favourites are included along with new recipes, including muffins that weren't in the 1970s version.

And yet I am rather irritated. Delia has made it very clear that she doesn't want to produce books or television programmes that are only for entertainment. She wants to teach people how to cook. So why in this book that is designed to work alongside her new online cookery school are certain important sections in pale sage green - oh so stylish, oh so hard to read when working from a book stand in the kitchen? And why are the ingredients in little pale green blocks?

There is a reason why ingredients are given in a list form, each item on its own line. It is so that it is easy to check that you have included everything. This book has ingredients in a little paragraph, with up to three ingredients on each line. And in the pale sage green typeface, that is impossible to read from a distance I feel sure that it will be easy to miss things.

To me, that makes this a coffee table book format, not a practical work book. So disappointing. I shall have to search out a second hand copy of my original paperback to use as a workbook, and keep this for enjoying for the entertainment. But I doubt that Delia would be happy with me doing that.

(review copy received from Hodder & Staughton. This review also appears on A Greedy Piglet blog)

5.0 out of 5 stars A well put together cake book, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
I bought this book as a gift for my 17 year old daughter who is getting into baking. After looking at the alternatives I thought this book was easy to follow and had a wide range of cakes including the popular styles. My daughter loves it and has made some delicious cakes using Deliahs recipes. i am glad I chose this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
So enjoying this book. I really like the photos and design. Have now purchased some of the Delia and Silverwood Tins and also the special Bake o glide liners.I had not used these before and they are excellent. Just give them a quick wash and so less fiddly than those big packs of throw away liners. The ones with the cut out folds to fit the tin are amazing. The kids have had a go too. Can highly recommend. Also watch some of the web site videos to go with the book. Very easy to follow and beautiful, simple camera work.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shame this book is difficult to use, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
I am a huge St Delia fan, owning many of her books. I bought the original "Cakes" book years ago in a car boot sale for a 1 so thought I would treat myself to the updated book. I am glad I only paid 5 for this version and here's why: the artistic design team have been allowed to go mad! Whoever thought it was a good idea to have all of the ingredients lists in small italic gold text - clearly not anyone who actually uses a cook book in a kitchen. The actual recipes are in tiny black text so also hard to read. But what about the photos you ask? Well they are numerous and very large. So if you want a nice picture bok then this is the one for you. I am going to keep using my tattly old 1 car boot sale copy as I can actually read the recipes. To me, it looks like Delia has had nothing whatsoever to do with the re-issue of this book. There isn't even a photo of her in it.

Delia's Cakes
Delia's Cakes by Delia Smith (Hardcover - 28 Feb 2013)
5.00