on 15 February 2013
I only received this book as although Im not a practicing veggie its generally all I cook when Im at home. I also like a bit of spice in my food & after reading the reviews already on hear took the plunge.

On first look I was a bit dissapointed as there didnt seem to be that many straight forward curry receipes..But then I had bought this book as I thought the receipes were going to be something original so I can't have it all ways :-) Anyway I could read through the book time & time again or I could actually have a go at making something then make my mind up. Im so glad I did! I decided to invite all the housemates (so cooking for 6) for a meal involving 4 of the recipes as well as some dhal. I cant remember all the names but I made rustic flatbreads (my mouth is watering as I think of these, will be making them again this weekend for sure!), quick spicy sweetcorn (my favorite), riata (yay, I can make a nicer one that my localy take away now!), Garlicky black chickpeas & potato curry (I thought this was going to be pretty bland and dry, how wrong I was).

Every receipe was simple to make & really well explained. There wasnt a single bit of food left and the flatmates were still thanking me two days later! I cant wait to work my way through the whole book to learn new things and more importantly eat very interesting healthy food! Thank you...
on 18 August 2015
I've been a Western vegetarian for about 19 years, which basically means dairy, pasta, Quorn and wheat in large quantities, leading to a weight problem ...yes, yes, I know it doesn't have to be that way but this is my review so please be quiet :). In 2010 I had a revelation - I needed to learn how to cook Asian food, so I could eat lots of tasty and healthy Asian dishes, and move away from Western vegetarianism. The first problem was I didn't have a clue how to cook good Asian food - I hadn't grown up in an Asian household, learning at my mother's knee so to speak, so I began the very lengthy process of learning to cook another cuisine from scratch, when I'm not a particularly good cook in the first place. I bought a few different cook books - my inital food forrays into Asian cooking weren't pleasant on the taste buds and usually got thrown away. But my love of tasty Asian food made me persevere and bit by bit I started to make sense of what was being asked of me, particularly when I bought Kaushy's beautiful book. At the risk of stating the obvious I had to do a certain amount of shopping to get started - I would head out to the shops with a shopping list of spices, and as time went by I bought myself things like a masala tray and a flat bottomed pancake type thing to heat my chappatis. I have now mastered one dish so well, that I can make it almost with my eyes closed, but I make it every week like clockwork. I may just be making one dish successfully at the moment but I believe I have finally understood the processes of the initial mustard and cumin seeds, the asoefatida, the turmeric, the masala, of how to tie the whole dish together. I roast spices and grind them too! I love Kaushy's comments through the book about her family, and the beautiful pictures. It is absolutely my favourite cookbook.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 22 May 2013
For someone not particularly familiar with Indian cooking, this was a real eye opener for me. It is amazing how many different dishes you can create with a few spices, herbs, fruit and vegetables. A lot of recipe books contain many fairly predictable recipes but the majority in this one I would certainly not have thought to come up with myself. You can certainly tell that a lot of thought, care and attention has gone into this book. There is a very good introduction, with information on spices, utensils needed and general tips and practical information. I've tried several of the recipes and have many more I'd like to try and I can say that all have worked reasonably well so far. A minor criticism is that while there is a lot of information (I do like the introduction to each recipe) and extremely detailed step-by-step instructions, this can leave the pages looking very cluttered and a large proportion of the recipes do not have photographs. Despite not being the most neat and tidy book in terms of layout, the content more than makes up for this to leave a very good impression overall.

The contents page looks like this:

Introduction 8
Meal Planners 244
Kaushy's Store Cupboard and Supplies 252
Acknowledgements 254
Index 256

The full list of recipes (English description only):
Fenugreek leaf and banana bhajis
Potato fritters with coriander and pepper crunch
Stuffed chilli bhajis
Spicy cauliflower and cabbage fritters
Potato, pea and carrot parcels
Prashad spring rolls
Lemon and coriander potato balls
Fluffy chickpea and chilli dough balls
Spiced pea and garlic chapatti balls
Garlic-coconut filled potato balls
Shallow-fried colocasia leaf parcels
Stuffed colocasia leaf rolls
Seed-topped lentil cake
Spicy chickpea cake
Garlicky cucumber and rice cake
Mashed pea and cauliflower kebabs
Spicy peanut-marinated purple yam and potato
Griddled spicy paneer skewers
Seed-topped chickpea pancake rolls

The king of streetside India (chickpea, potato and samosa streetfood)
Savoury lentil porridge
Indian pasta and pigeon pea soup
Lentil dumplings with cumin yoghurt
Spiced-up rice
Chapatti in spicy yoghurt sauce
Speedy spicy sweetcorn
Indian garlic mushrooms
Fragrant fenugreek chapatti
Fenugreek and coriander pancakes
Potato and cauliflower stuffed flatbread
Spicy fried dough puffs
Crispy puffed rice, potato, chickpea, chapatti and chutney chaat
Flattened rice with peanuts and potato

Round aubergine satay
Aubergine and Indian broad bean curry
Aubergine and potato curry
Tamarind, tomato and potato curry
Ginger-chilli peanuts and potatoes
Spicy picnic potatoes
Punjabi cauliflower and potato curry
Corn-on-the-cob curry
Carom, onion and green cluster bean curry
Mustard seed, okra and potato curry
Mixed lentil curry
Tomato, carom and hyacinth bean curry
Stuffed ivy gourd curry
Bottle gourd and split chickpea curry
Garlicky black chickpea and potato curry
Cinnamon-spice chickpea curry
Fenugreek, tomato and okra curry
Spinach and mushroom curry
Garlicky curried purple yam
Green banana satay
Sweet and spicy cheese and peas
Spicy tomato and Indian cheese
Curried red and yellow lentils
Tomato and chunky vegetable curry
Crispy pancake with potato and coconut curry

Green coriander rice
Boiled basmati rice
Spiced vegetable rice
Cumin-infused rice
The king of rice dishes
Layered vegetables, rice and lentils
Soothing yellow lentil rice
Pan-fried chapatti flatbread
Fried puffy bread
Fluffy fried fermented bread
Gujarati jaggery bread
Sweet and buttery lentil-filled flatbread

Aromatic vegetable and lentil soup
Traditional yellow lentil soup
Spiced yoghurt soup
Green mango and fenugreek pickle
Sweet and sour Indian lemon pickle
Cinnamon and cardamom-infused sweet mango pickle
Pickled green chillies with mustard seeds
Chilli-garlic cucumbers
Chilli, carrot, cabbage and pepper salad
Fenugreek, chilli and apple relish
Coriander, chilli and garlic relish
Green mango and onion relish
Red pepper and carrot relish
Tangy green tomato relish
Apple and pea chutney
Garlic and red chilli chutney
Sweet and tangy tamarind chutney
Yoghurt and mint dip
Cool cucumber and yoghurt dip
Mustard seed, curry leaf and coconut dip
Sesame, peanut and coriander dip

Cooling mango yoghurt drink
Avocado and cardamom milkshake
Rose milkshake with ice cream and vermicelli
Ginger-infused tea
Cardamom, almond and pistachio rice pudding
Smooth and creamy cardamom yoghurt
Spiced fruit, nut and cracked wheat pudding
Speedy almond and sultana semolina
Traditional carrot and cardamom pudding
Sesame jaggery squares
Semolina and white poppy seed sweets
Indian coconut fudge
Jaggery dough balls
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 October 2012
My son made a career in the hospitality business and has worked at Michellin-starred restaurants and at top hotels. My brother is an enthusiastic amateur who has trained as a chef to professional standards. None of us are vegetarian. But we all agree that Prashad is without doubt the best place we have ever eaten and the most unlikely, tucked away down a side street in Bradford. I have been collecting Kaushy Patel's published recipes in the Yorkshire Post and I am absolutely delighted to see it come out in book form. My only worry is that store-bought spices will never measure up to carefully prepared fresh ingredients that they use in the restaurant, which I suspect is the real secret behind the sensational flavours. Forget Ramsay, Oliver, Blumenthal and all the rest. Everyone who enjoys good food should buy this book, vegetarian or not.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 September 2012
Before reviewing this book I must first paint a picture of the Prashad Restaurant in Bradford and the family that have produced it!

Being meat eaters my friend Vicky and I were a bit reluctant to go 'all vegetarian' until Gordon Ramsay revealed this little gem of a restaurant tucked away in Bradford. After watching them come very close to winning first place on his program we decided to give it a try and with much trepidation to try food without meat we were far from dissapointed.
The atmosphere was brilliant and the service second to none but the biggest thing was the incredible food and the fact there was no meat in sight. It was a revelation that as carnivores like us we did not feel disappointed and miss having any meat in any of the dishes we had.

Every dish is so different in taste, texture and flavour and the menu at Prashad, although not huge, gives such a diverse range of choices it becomes hard to choose what to order.

The dishes are all fabulous but there are some firm favourites we must recommend. The Bombay Pataka ( Bombay Potato ) is to die for and one of my favourites. The Dosa's are superb and one of Indias Street Food dishes I have never seen on offer anywhere else in Britain.
The Chole is fabulous and the Special Chaat ( Gordon Ramsay's favorite, and ours too ) is simply stunning and lights up the pallet with sensational flavours you simply can't resist!

I could happily eat this at every meal.

Their award winning Pethi's are to die for. You have never tasted anything so wonderful and delicately spiced and so mouthwatering. All the tastes and flavours and textures Kaushy and family produce are unique with no hint of anything being mass produced or swamped with a base sauce as in so many other restaurants.

This food is fresh, delicate, vibrant and more than that very moorish!

So, with recipes taken from the restaurant menu and the influence of Gordon Ramsay this book has been produced with help, advice and a colourful look at Indian Vegetarian Cuisine which is a must to see, read and try.
Nearly all the restaurant menu dishes are in the book as are many more from the family archives which is a real bonus.

We have met Kaushy and family and they are very warm and welcoming and the chefs enthusiasm and as she says 'the love' exudes from the food they cook. Kaushy not only cooks the food but takes her time to come into the restaurant and spend a while talking to you and making sure everything is okay and ask you what you have enjoyed and what you think could be better! Where else do you get this kind of attention to detail and attempts at pleasing their guests.

I think I must also add at this time I have read back this review and omitted to include a very important person from this wonderful family and great restaurant and that is Minal who is Kaushy's daughter-in-law. She was the other star chef who appeared on the Ramsay program and deserves an equal mention for her wonderful food and dedication to the business. She works alongside Kaushy and staff and has been in collaboration with Gordon Ramsay, working and learning at his restaurant's a few days a week to gain both business experience and a good sense of running a restaurant.

The end result of this is perfect service for the customer to match the sensational food!

It is no wonder they appeared on the T.V. and no wonder this restaurant is packed every day.
If you live nearby you are blessed with such a gem of a restaurant on your doorstep. If you live further away I thoroughly recommend the trip to experience this superb cuisine and taste some of it's delights and the expertise of these skilled chefs!
And if you can't make a personal visit the next best thing is to buy this book as it is full of just about all of Kaushy's family secrets handed down from her grandmother that should be tried and tasted to be believed. What you see in the book you get at the restaurant and for me that is a breath of fresh air! No secrets, just the recipes as they are meant to be made.

All the dishes are fairly easy to follow and ingredients not too hard to source either on the high street or online, but I think there is a therapy to be had in the preparation of some of the more complicated recipes and the end results are stunning and well worth the effort.
The Prashad has now moved on to pastures new and has expanded their business to larger premises in Drighlington near Leeds and I wish them every success in the future.

My advice is to buy the book and try it. I don't think you will be disappointed.
The photography is lovely and the hints and tips are wonderful.

This is an unique book so far removed from the mainstream cookery books. It is about family cooking written with love and an enthusiasm for beautiful and enjoyed recipes and is a great book to grace any kitchen book shelf!
I can't recommend it more highly than this! Buy it, try it and enjoy!!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 March 2014
I bought this to help my third attempt at going vegetarian. The recipes are clear and mostly quite simple. There's a good mix of healthy options and more indulgent food. I found most of the ingredients easily even living in quite a small town. The dishes I've cooked so far were easy to make and delicious. I recommend this for anyone who likes Indian food, and particularly for anyone who wants to eat more fresh vegetables.
on 7 January 2014
This book could turn even the most committed meat eaters into at least part-time vegetarians. The dishes are mouthwatering and the textures and flavours are superb. I find I have to cut down the amount of salt and chilli a little, but the recipes are very forgiving and this never detracts from the overall taste. If you're not used to cooking Indian food, my advice is go back to basics and take the Delia approach i.e. prepare, weigh and measure everything out fully before you switch the stove/pan on! If you're an experience cook you'll find these recipes easy, if you're a novice, try them on a rainy day when you've got plenty of time to potter around in the kitchen. Without doubt the best cookery book I bought in 2013.
on 28 July 2013
This book is the one! Fantastic photography, wonderful anecdotes, and stunning recipes. Real inspiring stuff. So easy to follow and so enjoyable to make - you can't go wrong. Dinner planners, shopping lists; this book has it all. And it's also just a really great book to sit down and read. Highly recommended!
on 2 January 2013
66 of the 112 recipes in this book are already suitable for vegans, and the remaining are easily modified. There are plenty of photos, detailed descriptions and each recipe is clearly marked with it's suitability for various dietary requirements. I'd been wondering whether to buy this book for a while and I'm so glad I did.

I was surprised to see the price fluctuate quite so much though. I purchased it for £12.50; two weeks later it's £18.25!
on 25 November 2012
I got this as a gift and have been realy impressed with the excellent recipes. Lots of ingredients but very simple to make. I've already tried the Aubergine and Potato curry and Mixed Dhal and they were excellent!