5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book on Scandinavian baking. Lovely recipes.
Published 23 months ago by Ms A Phelan

3.0 out of 5 stars Poorly edited - mistake in first recipe tried
I started to make the Saltkringler and had mixed all the dry ingredients then added the oil and honey but found that there was no other liquid specified. There is no way 30ml of honey and 15ml of oil will make a dough out of 500g of flour.
Had to guess at 300ml of water (I assumed).
Poor editing on the first recipe I tried and given that this is a second...
Published 18 months ago by Peter Lange

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book on Scandinavian baking. Lovely recipes., 3 Aug 2012
This review is from: Scandilicious Baking (Hardcover)
I already own (and use) Signe's first book "Secrets of Scandinavian Cooking" and so was eager to read her second book. Once again there is the same straightforward approach to recipes as I found in her first book but this second book seems weightier, more assured in content. I say I'm not a natural baker, I feel more confident in the more forgiving savoury cooking and (whispers it) don't really like overblown, over-sweet cakes with copious icing and please don't get me started on super iced cupcakes! But as with all things Scandinavian, the recipes here are well-conceived and balanced. Sweetness is restrained so it never becomes cloying but just enough. On receiving this book I immediately baked Signe's 'Sticky Ginger Spice Cake', a moist cake that improves everyday (that it lasts which may not be long). I already was a fan of her 'Chocolate & Orange Marmalade Loaf Cake' (recipe was on an old blog post of hers) and should say that that cake has had rave comments each time I've made it and is easy to make. Toasted Oat, Date and Hazelnut Cookies are delicious and are perfect mid-afternoon treats. Yesterday I made the Plaited Milk Loaf and although mine may not have been as perfectly formed as the one photographed in the book it didn't look bad for a first attempt, tasted delicious and was simple to make (once I remembered how to plait!).

Once again the photography is gorgeous, the layout clear and easy to use and the instructions very clear and confident. I can honestly say that, for a non-baker (although that's changing), I have seen loads of recipes I'd love to try and will. This book is a keeper. Today I realised that I haven't even tried any recipe in the Savouries section! That's the next baking session. Absolutely recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 17 July 2012
This review is from: Scandilicious Baking (Hardcover)
This book is truly wonderful! The recipes are mouth watering and they come with interesting information and tips. Possibly not the best for someone with little experience, but easy enough for those who have baked something before.

I recommend it fully! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeding My Addiction, 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: Scandilicious Baking (Hardcover)
Being completely up-front and honest from the start, I have to admit to a certain addiction to baking/cooking books. I love 'em. Can't get enough of 'em and would probably have ALL the baking books produced if I thought I could get away with it.

Having ancestral connection to Scandinavia I have a particular love of Nordic cooking and baking so this was always going to be fairly close to the top of my current wish list and, in a moment of weakness, I bought it. I'm not disappointed - the pictures are lovely (and is that half the battle with food books?) and the instructions are clear. The favourites are there as is the use of cardomom and cinnamon and all those other lovely Scandi ingredients.

I don't think I'm in a position to say whether this is better than other books of the same ilk as I really can't give an unbiased critique of baking books - I find something in all of them to be excited about. However, this is, I would suggest, one of the better ones and, if you have space on your shelves, a useful and happy addition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book - the loveliest you'll find on Scandi baking., 2 July 2013
This review is from: Scandilicious Baking (Hardcover)
This is the best Scandinavian baking book yet. Clear, authentic recipes that work. A lovely venture into Nordic culture. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scandi cooking, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Scandilicious Baking (Hardcover)
Great cookery book, I treated myself for Xmas having read an excellent review on it. Have tried at least a dozen recipes all of which have tasted great, yesterday made her vanilla bread which is superb toasted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: Scandilicious Baking (Hardcover)
Baked my first recipe (blueberry upside down cake), very easy to do and tasted delicious. Our guests actually said it was one of the best cakes they'd ever eaten. Not bad for a first attempt. Also the book is absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to try more ..

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious baking, 5 Aug 2012
This review is from: Scandilicious Baking (Hardcover)
As a huge fan of Signe Johansen's recipes, I can totally endorse the other reviewers' glowing comments. No baking enthusiast should be without this latest book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab Scandi baking book!, 4 Sep 2012
This review is from: Scandilicious Baking (Hardcover)
I have close friends who are Swedish and have travelled a lot in Finland, Sweden, Norway with work so have had the opportunity to partake of 'fika' (coffee and cake) in lots of lovely cafes. This books has all my favourites in including Lussekatter (saffron buns) which are traditionally served every 13th December on the feast day of Santa Lucia, which we also celebrate in our Yorkshire home!

Looking forward to using it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good present, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: Scandilicious Baking (Hardcover)
I know absolutely nothing about baking - it was a Christmas present for my daughter. The stars are based on the fact that she didn't leave it behind when she went home

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Carrot Cake!, 12 July 2012
D. J. Slaughter "Dawn" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scandilicious Baking (Hardcover)
Following an editorial on this book in The Times on 05/07/12, I purchased this book from Amazon the same day and made the Carrot Cake the afternoon after! It was delicious, really moist and wasn't cluttered up with dates or raisins. In fact it was extremely edible without the cream cheese frosting. (See the empty plate!)
It's one of those books which you look through and want to try every single recipe even though there isn't a photo of each item. It's well written and has lots of interesting ingredients and comments. It's out on the kitchen worktop ready for baking for three birthdays in the next two days. I'm looking forward to providing something a bit different in the sweet and savoury lines and I'm sure the recipients are too!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Scandilicious Baking
Scandilicious Baking by Signe Johansen BA Social Anthropology; MA Anthropology of Food (Hardcover - 5 July 2012)
22.00