5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid "locked-room" mystery
A splendid fast-moving page-turner in the great tradition of locked-room mysteries. Moreover it does not conform to the stereotype of unrelieved grittiness now typical of much Scandinavian crime-writing. While the build-up of the mystery aboard the yacht is tense and doom-laden, it is interspersed with the attempts to solve the mystery by a very believable and...
Published 9 months ago by fasi

2.0 out of 5 stars there is a red herring early on which never materialises which is annoying, lawyer thinks she sees child legs hiding under ...
its a bit too incredible and loses its way after about 1/3 way through, there is a red herring early on which never materialises which is annoying, lawyer thinks she sees child legs hiding under bed but doesn't confirm it, dismisses as mind games, this device is used twice to no effect.

Also if you are not Icelandic the names are difficult but that is some of...
Published 3 months ago by brightontrader

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This must be Yrsa's best book by far, 30 Aug 2014
Welder Bob "welderbob" (Stellenbosch, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Silence of the Sea (Paperback)
Compulsive reading. This must be Yrsa's best book by far, of all her great novels

5.0 out of 5 stars Would definitely recommend., 3 Sep 2014
Yorkmum (York, England) - See all my reviews
A chilling mystery novel. It covers the mysterious disappearance of the crew and passengers on a luxury yacht sailing to Iceland. It is told from 2 perspectives - that of a passenger on the yacht and a solicitor investigating the disappearance. it's a very tense read and I couldn't put it down. Would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars unputdownable, 12 July 2014
Excellent book, really enjoyed it. Praise to Yrsa for yet another book I couldn't put down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chilling at times locked-room mystery, ending a bit disappointing... as usual, 21 May 2014
ladyguinevere (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Silence of the Sea (Paperback)
I am generally a fan of this author's works, and I've read most of her books. I LOVED I Remember You, which was genuinely the creepiest ghost story I've read in a very long time. And there was a little something of that in this book as well - a slight hint of supernatural malice, which I think is what I like best about this author's works. I read parts of this at night and did feel my skin kind of crawl a couple times.

That said, I rather dislike the character of Thora, so I like these books in SPITE of her character. The reason for her, a lawyer, to be involved never quite rings true to me, but what do I know? She also seems kind of cold, and I know Bella is meant to be this ridiculous laughing stock of a character, but I actually like her better than Thora who often comes across as a neurotic, judgmental cow...

But ASIDE from that.... This book did keep me guessing up to the end, which was nice, as I've read way too many books where I could see the exact ending coming from miles away. I did kind of suspect the ending, but there were other possibilities as well, so that was good. Like one of the negative reviewers said, some of the characters seemed a little like cardboard cut-outs, a bit too shallow, and the main character on the boat is a little bit annoying and idiotic at times - again, I didn't really buy his reason for being in that situation either, so it didn't quite work.

But what really let this book down, as it has done in most of the books that I've read by this author, is the ending. It came very abruptly and the explanation was very hurried and bunched up in a rushed and oddly unsatisfying denouement. Everything was wrapped up very neatly, almost paint-by-numbers neatly, but I still found that I had questions that didn't really fit in with her way of explaining things, and I sort of felt like there was something missing between the lead-up and the sudden reveal. I kind of wish the ending had been one of the other possibilities that I had considered, they would have been a bit more interesting. But I did generally enjoy the journey, getting to the end. It had its chilling moments, and the premise was interesting. Since this problem with her endings seems to be a recurring problem, I wish the author might try something different for a change with the way she does ending, because the current method isn't really working, and it lets down otherwise good books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exciting thriller, excellent translation, 5 May 2014
I'm not a great reader of so-called 'Scandi' crime thrillers, and so cannot compare it to other writers, but overall found it quite gripping. At times it has the reader wondering if there is a supernatural element to the plot, and while some of the characters could be a little more 'fleshed out', it was enjoyable and kept me guessing right up to the end. A bonus was that the translation was notably excellent. I read many books which have been translated to English, and there's usually a stilted quality to them, but this was perfectly done.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazingly gripping right to the end, 10 April 2014
Yrsa keeps the reader gripped throughout this dark psychological thriller with many various twists, turns and red herrings. Truly one of the best Nordic Noir authors around at the moment. A must read however any dreams of owning a luxury yacht are sure to evaporate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping to the end — almost., 8 April 2014
The Silence of the Sea, by Yrsa Sigurdardottir, is a tremendous story. A beautiful, luxurious yacht arrives in Reykjavik harbour, only to be found deserted. An investigation by Sigurdardottir's heroine, Thóra Gudmundsdottir, is told in parallel with flash-backs to the voyage, each turn becoming darker and more forbidding. It's gripping right to the end, but the end itself is wrapped up abruptly. I longed for a final and mischievous twist.

4.0 out of 5 stars the darkness of the sea, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Silence of the Sea (Paperback)
This certainly isn't a jolly read. I could imagine it as a tall tale told around a fire , maybe in a cliff top cottage whilst the sea beat again the rocks and the shadows danced. There is often a sense of justice , fair play and families being saved . Yrsa didn't want to go that here and so at the end you are left feeling rather shocked . Its a memorable story even though I do wish she would stop picking on Bella the gothic secretary as she is one of my favourite characters and I would like to find out more about her.

5.0 out of 5 stars sinister murder mystery, 16 Mar 2014
Another creepy, sinister story that takes place at sea. The author conjures up ghastly and ghostly thoughts in your mind from seemingly innocent remarks. The thought of a tranquil Reykjavik sea front with yachts bobbing up and down are rapidly changed as we read on. I finished the book in a gulp. The tragic side of the murders is just as beautifully explored as the creepiness.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scandinavian Marie Celeste solved, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Silence of the Sea (Paperback)
This is certainly a real page turner. It has been criticised for being overlong but I did not find this a problem as I do not mind being led up a few blind alleys and the pace of the story was not in my view critically affected. I have mixed feelings on the plot.The story could be described in the end as being a bit too convoluted and I am undecided about the final twist at the end. However overall an easy and enjoyable read which held my attention throughout which I would recommend.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

The Silence of the Sea
The Silence of the Sea by Yrsa Sigurdardottir (Paperback - 27 Feb 2014)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available