Format: PaperbackChange

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 September 2011
It began so peacefully. The scene is tranquil, domestic, happy. A young widow, Honor Gillette, is frosting cupcakes under the watchful eyes of her four-year-old daughter, Emily. The words finally penetrate "that innate mom-screen that filtered out unimportant chatter" - Emily is saying there's a sick man in their backyard.

There is, indeed. Honor asks Emily to retrieve her phone from the bedroom and goes outside, but as she draws closer the obviously wounded man acts so quickly, so professionally that she doesn't even have time to recoil before he has her neck in a hold and a gun pointed toward her heart.

Life change in a nano second - from baking cupcakes to being held hostage in her own home, forced to save herself and most of all, Emily. The man is Lee Coburn, the prime suspect in the massacre of seven people the previous night. Obviously, he is capable of anything, a soulless creature. He promises Honor he will not harm them if she does exactly as he says. She has no choice - her home is isolated, bordering a Louisiana bayou. Honor has remained there because it is the home she and her late policeman husband, Eddie, had shared.

Coburn begins to systematically dismantle her house, searching for something he claims Eddie has hidden. Despite Honor's denials of knowing what he is talking about he literally reduces the home to a shambles, while hinting that Eddie's death was not an accident, that he was killed for what he knew. Further, he claims that what he is looking for is of such great value that the lives of Honor and Emily are in danger.

In a shocking turn of events Honor comes to believe Coburn is telling the truth and they go on the run in search of the secret Eddie held and the mastermind behind the mass killings, barely staying inches ahead of the law, those who were her trusted friends.

Always an ace at penning romantic suspense Sandra Drown has outdone herself with Lethal. From page 3 it's exciting, tightly plotted reading and ever mounting suspense peopled by finely drawn characters who are not who they appear to be.

This is stay-up-all-night reading!

- Gail Cooke
on 11 November 2011
I'm not a particularly good reviewer of books (which is a good start) but I loved this book. I found it hard to put down.

Unlike a few books that I've read recently, I could clearly remember every character and every twist and turn. It's a real mystery, who can be trusted? Will they live?

Very well written and believable characters that you ended up caring about. Highly recommended!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I'm pretty sure that in the course of my reading history I have read Sandra Brown before. She isn't an author that pops to the front of my mind, when thinking about my favourite crime books. When I received a review copy and read the synopsis I thought it sounded surprisingly engrossing so I bumped it up the `to read' list and made a start. When Honor Gillette's daughter runs into the house and tells her Mum that there is `sick man' on the front lawn, Honor does no more than go out to help the guy. What she doesn't realise is that the man on her front lawn is actually Lee Coburn who is wanted by the police for multiple murders.

Within the first two chapters I was hooked. Lee Coburn although armed and dangerous is also a desperate man. He insists that Honor's late husband Eddie had something extremely valuable and he wants it. If she goes along with Coburn both Honor and her daughter would remain unharmed. The fact that this ordinary Mother and daughter are taken at gunpoint makes for extremely exciting reading very early on. I was drawn into the story as Honor fights to keep her daughter safe. She is completely unaware of what Coburn wants but is determined to make sure he gets it.

Quite a few other characters are introduced early on and even before the halfway mark I began questioning every character almost convincing myself that they were `in on it'! Before too long I realised that I was nearly finished and realised that although it was late I HAD to finish reading. Was I right? This is certainly a `whodunit' kind of book and I loved the fact that there was so much going on. There were quite a few plot twists and although I saw one or two coming I certainly couldn't have predicted others.

Sandra Brown to me falls into the Romantic Suspense genre, although I cannot speak for the rest of her books but this one most certainly is. The ending was brilliant and it's certainly a book that will hold your interest and keep you reading until the early hours. This sort of book will be a definite winner for fans of Karen Rose. If you haven't read Sandra Brown before, maybe you should give her a go!
on 19 June 2012
Not sure where the title 'Lethal' came from.From the outset the author indirectly asks the reader to try & guess who The Bookeeper is. The whole story was based on this and in my opinion was not handled as well as some of the previous reviews have indicated.

There were too many characters, too many implausible events, too many attempts to throw in red herrings, and too many failed attempts to throw in as many unsuccesful plot twists as you can possibly fit into one book.

As you have probabaly already guessed this was not one of my favourite books. It all got a bit too much at the end and it lost what bit of credability it had.
By the time the author revealed the identity of the bookeeper I had lost all interest. I was just glad it was all over.
Of course all loose ends were tied up neatly, just as I thought they would be.
Not my thing at all.
on 11 June 2012
My first ever review on Amazon. I am writing this because I would recommend this book to anyone who liked tv programs like 24 or Homeland in terms of fast paced thrillers full of twists throughout. You do not know how it will play out till you get to the end. Do not get me wrong - when you take a step back it's easy to question the "realism" and whether certain characters would risk their own lives as much as the storyline suggests. However, it is a "story" at the end of the day and most of what I watch on TV would never happen in real life anyway. Overall a fantastic read, and the writing sytle is so creative you can vividly imagine each scene and understand the emotions of the lead characters in your mind as you read through it.
My first time reading a Sandra Brown novel. I plan to read all of her novels now!
on 25 April 2012
I have purchased and read everything of Sandra Brown's available in print, and this certainly did not disappoint. It was difficult to put down, but we all have to sleep sometime. Coburn is like an onion, hidden layers. Honor is the faithful widow whose world, as well as her home, has been turned upside down and her uppermost concern is for her young daughter. Who do you trust, and in the end, no-one. It kept me guessing right to the end and then I was stunned.
I have deliberately not gone into major detail as the cover summary is more than enough to whet the appetite of Sandra Brown fans, and if you are new to her writings, this is well worth reading. You'll be hooked before the end of the first chapter.
on 20 June 2012
This is my first novel by Sandra Brown but it certainly won't be my last. The pace is absolutely relentless. Yes, at times the story becomes slightly implausible but i didn't really care as I wanted to know what the outcome would be.

I was totally and completely in love with Coburn, and he reminded me so much of my beloved Jack Bauer who could rescue me any time I was in danger. I liked Honor and the gorgeous Emily, and felt incredibly sad for VanAllen and his terrible personal life; what a lovely character.

I have to say I was rather pleased at myself a working out who The Bookkeeper halfway through the book, but at times I was unsure whether my intuition was right or wrong as the plot has some many twists and turns.

Absolutely brilliant book if you like fast paced thrillers, a little like 24 when, at times, the plot becomes a little far fetched but you can totally overlook this as there are such brilliant characters.

I would like to see this being made into a film with Keifer Sutherland perhaps playing the gorgeous Lee Coburn.

on 8 September 2012
A really powerful thriller, page turning and thrilling.
Honor Gilette's policeman husband died a year ago and she and her four year old daughter are getting on with life in a remote area of Louisiana with the help of her father-in-law and local police chiefs. When she finds a man with a gun in her house after a massacre at a local business it all changes and as Honor is the only person who can help sort out the corruption in the local area.
I really enjoyed most of this book, the idea was fabulous, the pace incredible and believable characters made this a great story. I found myself cheering Honor on as she questioned who her friends were. My only criticism was a bit of a rushed ending which spoilt the quality I felt but still a five for me and will read more.
on 8 December 2012
I ordered this book,initially, because I was having withdrawal symptoms from not having read a gritty sandra Brown novel for a while..In the end I was glad I had ordered it. I was hooked..getting engrossed in the identity of the Bookkeeper.LOL. A real page turner of a novel. HOWEVER I wasnt all that thrilled with the ending..I thought maybe there was a page missing at the end because I FELT the story ended too abruptly. It would have sated my romantic side if Ms Brown had ended the story with letting the readers know Honor DID walk back into his life and some communication took place between them..instead we were left kinda guessing. Ive been reading Ms Browns books for years now, and thoroughly relish every novel. All in all regrets. another fab read..
on 5 February 2013
Having already read one other novel by Sandra Brown, which was the first taste of this lady's amazing story-telling, I just had to try another one....just to make sure that it wasn't't a fluke!! Well, having spent the last ten minutes trying to read the last chapter and epilogue through tears ( and that's not easy when you wear glasses ) I can vouchsafe that Sandra Brown is now on my must read all list, so I will finish now so that I can get on with ordering my next adventure with her.