5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable romp
Published 22 months ago by P.G.

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked it
Published on 26 Jun. 2012 by Lainy

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable romp, 31 May 2013
I enjoyed this as much as the earlier Dandy Gilver books, possibly more. It is, as usual, a barely-believable romp, but Dandy is such a convincing character - with Nanny’s severe upbringing continually conflicting with her wistful longings for silk clothes and bedroom fires - and the twists and turns of the plot are so page-turning that the unlikelihood of a school where the girls are better treated than the teachers and the head is raking in money by means only discovered in the last pages only adds to the fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 27 Feb. 2013
I have all the books in this series and found this one as good as the others. I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Corker., 30 Sept. 2014
I loved it. I've loved them all. Good stories, intelligent writing, great characters.
If you're someone of great age, like myself, or a film buff, then think William Powell and Myrna Loyesque dialogue.
They will not change the world at large, they will not change your life. But they will brighten up your day.
Put the kettle on, dig out the shortbread, enjoy a well written yarn with more than it's fair share of humour (I admit, I'm sick and tired of hard boiled, flawed character types...you may gather them together and put them where the sun doesn't shine.)
Hooray for Dandy.

5.0 out of 5 stars collect these books, 10 April 2013
This review is from: Dandy Gilver and a Bothersome Number of Corpses (Dandy Gilver 7) (Paperback)
I collect this authors books .She is a great writer .I would recommend these books especially if you like mysteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars A ripping yarn, 18 Nov. 2014
Very well written with likable main characters and good plot. Also some humorous descriptions. I look forward to reading more by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these books, 5 Mar. 2013
This came in the time allowed. I have read all the books in this series and really enjoyed tem all. They are typically English 1920's but with a bit of a twist (the detective is a woman), the mysteries are good and they are an easy read and hard to put down. I love to read curled up in bed at the end of a stressful day and don't want anything too hard to read or too graphic or gory, theses hit the spot for me. I look forward to the next book. Very happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Frothy and fun, 14 Jan. 2013
Not a classic, but good fun and in the Dandy tradition. A pleasant way to while away an afternoon and evening.

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked it, 26 Jun. 2012
Lainy (Bonnie Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is Catriona McPhersons 5th book but my first time reading her work and being introduced to Dandy Gilver. Dandy is a female detective who works along side with her male partner (and it isn't her husband!). She is asked for help from her old friends to find their sister who is in a small village working as a teacher. What follows is murder, lies deceit and a who done it with Dandy leading the way.

When I started this I didn't think I was going to like it, it is set in the late 1920s or early 1930s and phrases like "One has to think what one has to say" and I am really not into that kind of pompous narrative. However it fits with the time period and I soon got used to it, also Dandy is quite amusing in some of her antics and what she says that you warm up to the story and the character(s) fairly quickly.

It is a slow paced story with lots of little things happening but no big thrills or murders throughout for the most part. For me it reminded me of murder she wrote, lots of investigating into little things and pretense by the main character to get her answers. Whilst it went along slowly there was something about this wee story that I didn't want to put it down and when all is revealed I was surprised by the who done it which is always a good thing I feel. 3/5 for me this time. Thanks to Hodder & Stoughton for introducing me to this author and giving me the chance to review this book.

Dandy Gilver and a Bothersome Number of Corpses (Dandy Gilver 7)
Dandy Gilver and a Bothersome Number of Corpses (Dandy Gilver 7) by Catriona McPherson (Paperback - 28 Feb. 2013)