on 11 March 2013
I am a huge fan of Noel Janis Norton - she comes up with really simple, effective ways to motivate your child to get their work done and done really well. I wish I had had this book a few years ago as my child is a teen now and homework time would have been more effective if this book had been out then. Even so, there are lots of great tips for teens too - the revising section was very helpful, for example Noel advises to quiz your teen before they start the dreaded revision, as well as after so that everyone is clear about how much revising needs to be done. This book is full of brilliant tips for creating a good productive environment and making homework something to be proud of rather than just another chore to get through. Highly recommended.
on 20 March 2013
Noel Janis Norton, has again written a book that all parents should read, if you want to help your children learn to learn
It is not just about school homework, although that features a lot, but about reading, spelling, listening, writing, and helping children to think for themselves I liked in particular the use of " trailing sentences" to help with comprehension.I have already put into practice some of the skills and they all work with my daughter Lily, aged nine.
on 2 April 2013
I really enjoyed this book & found it very useful, as I have all other N. Janis-Norton's books. Generally, I'm not one for 'parenting' books, but her work is an exception as whatever tips of her I've followed over the years, I've found extremely helpful. The main idea is that parents are in charge of creating clear routines & rules in their home (Janis-Norton has various specific tips as to what this means), and providing an environment within which children / teens feel safe, have predictable boundaries, and know always what to expect.

This particular book provides a useful framework for thinking (as a parent) about homework & how to support your child (or teen) in doing their best with the least resistance. Again, the main idea that I found immensely useful is creating a predictable structure- say, 1 hour a day at a particular time that suits the family- where homework is done, even from an early age. This includes holidays and weekends (except perhaps Sundays) and becomes part of the normal, expectable routine for the family.

Janis-Norton then goes through specific areas that have to do with learning (spelling, handwriting, reading, reading comprehension, listening, thinking and many others) & offers many useful tips as to how to help children with each area. Given her education background, she really knows her stuff & I found her way of thinking so helpful in understanding how best I can help my child, what techniques to adopt, what not to do etc. Since we started using her methods for homework each day, we've seen great results in terms of cooperation & motivation- and also, in terms of our son's ability to learn and to enjoy the process. So this book is highly recommended if you want to help your child or children create a doable, realistic, commonsensical structure for homework.

One more thing to add: there were a couple of ideas I appreciated a lot. One had to do with Janis-Norton's emphasis on homework as part of the overall routine in a child's life. Screen time, outdoors time, mealtimes, bedtimes, play time / socializing----all these aspects need to be taken into account when structuring a doable routine, otherwise children won't have enough energy or time for homework. Another idea I liked had to do with how having a standard homework time each day, supervised by a parent, helps not only in educational attainment; it also helps in improving self-discipline, patience, and fighting habits such as procrastination etc.

All in all, an excellent resource for parents (and for teachers/ tutors too I would imagine).
on 9 October 2015
Noel Janis-Norton tells it like it is. 'Our children's education is too important to leave to schools'. However, along with parents, every trainee teacher, teaching assistant, teacher and head teacher should read this book and implement the strategies that it proposes. This book is a breath of fresh air toward the disco/fun/unmarked work practices of schools who have simply lost their way to educate children and young people in the skills of learning how to learn. This woman should be made a saint.
on 14 March 2013
Homework is a very frustrating subject!! But this book shows there is a method to get results without resorting to getting angry! Noel Janis Norton is an excellent writer and her first book has helped us so much with our four children. I highly recommend this book and her first. It should be mandatory reading for ALL parents!
on 8 May 2015
Cannot agree with a book that says small children should be doing homework 6 days out of 7 and through the holidays. Children should be allowed to be children and are being put under far too much pressure to perform academically these days. The majority of learning should be happening at school with homework being a regular but fairly brief supplement to that, to develop a good work ethic in readiness for senior school.
on 11 June 2015
on 25 February 2013
This seems to be good enough to help my Granchildren but only time will tell as to how much effect it will have.