5.0 out of 5 stars Calmer Easuer Happier Parenting, essential advice for todays families.
Only read the first couple of chapters and I was in tears. It discribes my life, it was as if Noel had been watching me and the children for the past 6 years and wrote this book about us and the advice for me.
I'm a parent twice over, what I mean is I had 2 children in the early 90's, and I started over again, with another 2 in the latter 00's. The behavioural...
Published 23 months ago by shelly-belly

3.0 out of 5 stars OK
This is a good book for positive parenting advice but there is a lot of extra verbage used to describe the various techniques.
Published 13 months ago by CS

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best tenner I have ever spent!, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: Calmer, Easier, Happier Parenting: The Revolutionary Programme That Transforms Family Life (Paperback)
I bought this book after a recommendation on a parenting forum and it is incredible.
It is easy to read, you work through each section and can use the strategies instantly. Most of them work immediately.
I felt I could relate to it unlike other books I have tried like 'Toddler taming' .
We are using it on our (often challenging) 3yr old and the transformation is quite unbelievable. Her behaviour is massively improved and our house is definitely calmer. My husband has the audio book and I would strongly recommend both parents following it as you can help each other.
It is hard to adjust how you speak to your children at first but if you do as it advises and start at the beginning, read a section and then put it into practice for a fortnight before moving on, it feels less daunting.

I would really recommend this book to anyone with a child who misbehaves, faffs, disobeys, is rude, has tantrums......!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 3 Sep 2012
I bought this book while searching for something to help with a circle of defiant behaviour from my children followed by lecturing and conseqences from me that were making little difference. The whole thing was really getting me down and I wanted a happier, fun family life. The book provides very positive strategies for parenting and I have been amazed by how well and how quickly they work. Shortly after reading it we went on holiday and focused on using the strategies outlined and I have to say it was the best holiday we've ever had. This is the first review I have written but I feel that this book has had such a positive impact on my family that I wanted to recommend it to anyone who is looking for help with theirs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most useful book in day to day life, 23 July 2012
I saw the author on breakfast tv talking about this book,like every other desperat parent for a change I bought the book. All those promises I thought to hard to believe but I said what the heck I'll give it a try I couldn't believe it actually worked on my kids whitin first days. It's nice to take a break from that nagging mother that I have becomed,I do have to admit parenting now it is much calmer and we seem to have more fun together,when my kids go to school I'm sad now before I was dreading the home time. It is a life changing book and have learned so much about me also,well done to the author would love to go to one of her seminars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Calmer, Happier Family, 2 July 2012
Since I bought two copies of Noel's book 'Calmer, Easier, Happier Parenting', - one for me as a grandmother and one for my daughter, herself a mother of two (7 and 4), - our family has become visibly calmer and happier. I find the techniques of Descriptive Praising, Reflective Listening and Think-Through miraculously effective to the point that we are now referring to the book as the 'Miracle Book'! The first miracle happened when my grandchildren started showing less interest in the TV and more interest in us adults. We can now communicate with them more effectively, spend more quality time together, have more fun and learn more from each other. Also, they tolerate each other much better, being more willing to share their toys and respect each other's sacred space. And what is more important, we hardly ever have to ask them twice to do the things that they are supposed to do. Marvelous! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars These techniques work!, 9 July 2012
Anoushka Lutikov (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This book and it's author ,Noel Janis Norton, have transformed our household and completely change our approach to parenting, particularly in dealing with our eldest son aged four and a half. The techniques of descriptive praise, reflective listening and planning for success really do work and we started seeing results in just a couple of weeks of regularly using them. It does take a little time as a parent to get into the habit of using descriptive praise and reflective listening as they seem quite counterintuitive at first,but the results are definitely worth it! The book explains each technique clearly with plenty of examples and remains a useful reference, even once you have gotten into the right habits. I would strongly recommend this book to every parent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sceptical at first, 11 Oct 2012
I bought this book as I have 2 boys (8 and 5). They seemed to have become immune to my pleas for co-operation, so much so that I frequently found myself raising my voice, losing my temper and ending up resorting to negative statements like "why haven't you done x, why didn't you remember y", "I have asked you 5 times now, can you pleeeaassse do z"

I was sceptical when I first bought this book 1 month ago. However, my 5 year old has definitely become a lot more co-operative and helpful(in a matter of days), but with the 8 year old it is taking longer. It takes an awful lot of self-control and patience on my part not to lose my temper, but I am trying hard! And this morning the descriptive praise really seems like it is beginning to work: I didn't lose my temper once. They were ready for the school bus in time, with time left to play. When I told them how organised I thought they had been, they asked what they could do to help, and proceeded to clear the breakfast table before asking what else they could do to help. I know we're only at the tip of the ice-berg with this new approach, but already based on the above, I can see massive changes. The scenario such as I described would have been unthinkable in our house one month ago.
I really do believe that descriptive praise is working, and it also feels so healthy to be always describing to them what they are doing right and well (not wrong!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing!, 10 Aug 2012
Some years ago we went to see Noel for help in managing our two fairly normal children aged around 7 and 9. Here are the before and after pictures.

Before: I used to take mine to school 3 days a week and there were days that I came back after dropping them off and needed to lie down for 10 minutes to recover, before I could start work. E.g. `Yes, I do want you to take your coat...I know it's sunny now but take it anyway just in case...It's not stupid... Yes, it does look unlikely that it will rain, but it might'.

After: I was amazed to find myself one morning reading a book by myself in the living room, almost serenely, while they were in the kitchen preparing their packed lunches and getting ready for school. I suddenly realised what I was doing and it struck me how much things had changed. I felt confident that all the things I wanted were taking place - getting dressed and washed, gathering their PE kit, making a packed lunch, unloading the dishwasher etc.

My wife summed it up by saying she just stopped shouting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Best for young children, 19 Oct 2012
Ac "ac185" (London) - See all my reviews
This a practical and useful book and I enjoyed reading most of it. The techniques are useful for all ages but it's a bit basic as a stand alone tool for older kids. Of course they respond to praise and being listened to (who doesn't!) and parents do need to have authority but I don't know any older child who would just happily accept "the new rule is..." from their parent on a regular basis!!
It's all about how to channel your child into doing things your way which is ok when they're younger but given the author talks about it working for all ages I would have liked a bit more thought about parenting older children and the challenges they bring.
If you have a younger child it's well worth reading so that you can put some very good basic principles in place to head off the likelihood of later difficulties but if you're struggling with parenting an older child then you probably won't find it covers all that you need.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, worth a read, but..., 17 Feb 2014
V. rachel - See all my reviews
It is true that if you do what the book says it does get calmer, easier and happier. The advice given could be crudely surmised as lots of telling your child how good they are being when they are being good and describing their emotions for them. It encourages empathy and staying eerily calm.

The techniques are very helpful with more chronic problems like getting out of the house on time in the mornings and sitting nicely at the table. It has helped us create clear rules for day to day behavior. However I found that for our family it hasn't helped with the more acute problems which most parents will encounter: insults, tantrums, violence, deliberate acts of disobedience and so on.

I would have given it five stars but for the waffle, it repeats everything at least three times and no parent has time for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just started but great results already!, 25 Jan 2014
After avoiding such books for 6 years I decided to try this as my lo had become argumentative and oppositional! Only read the first few chapters, and been practising the descriptive praise. What an amazing difference within hours!! Would recommend this.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›