on 24 November 2013
I have read other Chris Ryan books and had no hesitation in buying and reading this one. Not difficult to read but a bit long! I felt by the time Bald had left Florida, the story had run its course and the target should have been secured. Then again, once I got used to the idea of another segment, I settled down again and it was fine. I have no idea how plausible this story is in terms of the ways in which SAS soldiers can get out of scrapes but I think Bald should have died a few times in this story. This aspect felt a bit far fetched to me: that's not to try to suggest that some of these escapes couldn't have happened, but ALL of them??

I thought Bald was quoted as being 6 feet 3 inches early on in the book but as he got to China he had become 6 feet 5 inches! I might be wrong there!

I thought the story was interesting enough and it did keep me engaged right to the end but I thought there was more than enough foul language to be frank. I know that rough, tough soldiers might eff and blind a lot but I always take the view that a young child might pick up a book and if they do, I don't want them to be able to read the worst words the language has to offer.

Not Ryan's best but still worth reading if you like special forces stories.
on 13 August 2015
This was actually my first Chris Ryan novel, I know he's done loads more but from reading this it appeared to be quite amateurish and not very believable. The story is about a drunk, washed up former SAS soldier enlisted on a special mission (not very original). The mission takes him across several countries but it doesn't flow very well and he escapes certain death more times than James Bond. The lead character, John Bald, was not at all likeable. I couldn't care less of he'd died or not, he wasn't heroic at all. I don't mind offensive language, I actually quite enjoy it but only when it's used in the appropriate way, Ryan seems to use it for no apparent reason which seems a bit childish. The book wasn't bad enough for me to not finish it, but based on this I'm not in a hurry to read his other efforts!!
on 27 August 2014
I chose this book because I just live the non stop action, twisting and turning plots and masses of guns and explosions that are guaranteed in any Chris Ryan book.
This one didn't disappoint. Although not my favourite Ryan book it is still a gripping, easy to read, action novel that does exactly what it's supposed to.
I would recommend this to all action fans weather you are a Ryan fan or not.
on 25 May 2014
This was a book with questionable plots very badly written and obviously written to fulfil contracted obligations. Too much violence which did not sit with the theme and the language was that of someone who lacked the English vocabulary. Very disappointing taking account of all the other books Ryan has written
on 22 February 2014
I have read 6 Chris Ryan books very recently and have been thrilled to have found a new author. I will post positive reviews about his other work which I have very much enjoyed.

However, Night Strike is very unlike his other books. The character, John Bald, an ex SAS, is not likeable at all. Whilst I realise there would be real unlike able guys in the SAS, It is like watching a Bond movie where he was actually undercover and a covert terrorist and not our beloved 007 doing all for Queen and country.

Perhaps he is trying to show how PTSD affects soldiers who have been through a lot of stress and endurance. It makes for uncomfortable reading however when you really dislike the main character and there is nothing to redeem him. He made my skin crawl!
on 5 September 2015
This was my first Chris Ryan read, and based on this evidence it'll definitely be the last. The book is littered with unbelievable, unlikeable characters in unlikely situations making incredible escapes. I knew not to expect anything of the standard of Shakespeare, but even an unlikable main character needs something about his personality that the reader can if not relate to, empathise with. The seeming random use of swear words is done with an almost childish glee that would make even Chubby Brown think twice.

It was good job Mr Ryan was a better soldier than writer or else we would have serious trouble.

I give it one star only because I have to.
on 10 August 2013
I think this is the worst book that Chris Ryan has written. Sometimes very amateurish and definitely unbelievable. I skipped through quite a few pages because I was bored. Will definitely think twice before I buy another of his books.
on 21 October 2013
Chris Ryan has written an absolutely foul book. Poorly crafted, badly written, barely believable plot and disgusting language. I have read all his previous books and they are getting worse the more he churns them out.
on 30 January 2015
Spoilers below:

The most unbelievable thing in this book is near the end when Bald and Gardner somehow survive being attacked by 300 Chinese soldiers when their only weapons were a grenade launcher and a weapon that was clearly based on the Metal Storm prototype. If you Google it you'll see why it's completely implausible, since that weapon is computer-controlled and fired electronically- as opposed to a mechanical trigger.
on 10 August 2013
I thought the first extreme book was bad but this ones even worse don't waste ur money. Very predictable and unbelievable utter rubbish