5.0 out of 5 stars Scary, but you have to read on.
Wow!
Published 20 months ago by Richard Latham

3.0 out of 5 stars Wooden dialogue
Published 21 months ago by Scholastica

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary, but you have to read on., 19 Jan 2013
Richard Latham (Burton on Trent) - See all my reviews
Wow!
This is a scary book; part horror/suspense and part mystery/thriller. Ultimately it is a ghost story. Wonderfully constructed with two parallel accounts sharing a chapter until both narratives converge in a spine-chilling climax. Yrsa Siguršardóttir is a wonderful story teller and all her craft is evident in this wonderful piece of fiction partly based on tales from ancient Icelandic literature.
Set in the Icelandic Westfjords the author's love of her country is demonstrated in her wonderful descriptions of the land, sea and weather. The themes of isolation, missing boys and haunted places run through the book. Cleverly having Freyr a doctor, clinical psychiatrist and specialist in human behavior as one of those trying to piece the puzzle together is great as his skepticism and reluctance to accept anything that all his training can not explain away. This means the readers doubts are acceptable as we hide behind his logic but when Freyr accepts his own visions as phantoms, indeed his own dead son we no longer have anywhere to go and our own levels of fear know no bounds.
Brilliantly translated into English this book will stay with you long after you finish the last page. This is a wonderful book and recommended without reservation and I don't even like ghost stories as a rule.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wooden dialogue, 18 Dec 2012
This review is from: I Remember You (Paperback)
This story opens as three friends are travelling across the open sea to a remote corner of the Westfjords in Iceland. They are a husband and his wife and a third woman who is a recently bereaved widow. The task ahead of them is to work on a recently purchased house, to make it suitable for guests. It is winter, and the small village is deserted. When the boatman hears which house they are to work on, he is cautious - the house does not have a good reputation.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in Iceland, there is a curious incident of vandalism at a primary school and a psychologist doctor who is called in for his opinion, finds that two of his elderly patients can remember things about a similar incident in the past. He is also troubled by the unresolved mystery of the disappearance of his young son.

As the book progresses, these separate strands are woven together, creating a novel that is part crime thriller, part supernatural mystery.

I didn't enjoy this as much as I was expecting to. To me, the writing style is extremely wooden and simplistic, almost at the level of 'he said, she said', and I struggled with this. I was curious about the haunting, but neither chilled nor scared.

On the cover of my copy, it says something about the story being based on a true story - I would like to know more about this.

Would I recommend it - not wholeheartedly. I don't think that it's up there with the best of crime thrillers from northern Europe, but if you're not irritated by wooden dialogue, you might well enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting Icelandic Gothic., 17 Nov 2012
This review is from: I Remember You (Paperback)
Had time permitted I could easily have read this novel at one sitting. With great skill Sigurdardottir interweaves two cleverly related stories and against all the odds brings off a most satisfying climax. This is a remarkably intelligent horror novel. The tension is powerfully built up, underpinned by some wonderful natural description of the remote Iceland outpost. At the same time we never escape entirely into fantasy, as the relationships between key characters in both locations are convincingly rooted in reality and absorbing in themselves. An atmospheric and psychological tour de force. Strongly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Step away from this book., 1 Sep 2014
This review is from: I Remember You (Paperback)
I have finally struggled to the end of this tedious book and I'm now wondering why I didn't listen to my instinct and stop after the first couple of chapters. Because I read it In translation, it's impossible to say whether the author or the translator is responsible for the terrible, amateurish style, so let's be charitable and decide on 50:50.

The bones of this book constitute what could have been a tight, scary story, if the reader were in a tolerant mood and prepared to suspend disbelief to an unprecedented extent; among other challenges, this would mean accepting that three presumably functioning adults would behave with the irresponsibility of three-year-olds and that mind-boggling coincidences happen all the time. We are also expected to believe that quite a big bit of Iceland is in the grip of the ghosts of two children, who appear to have acquired every super-power going: they are able to manifest in many different places; they have the strength to break into and trash buildings; one of them is able to inflict sadistic and usually fatal injuries on those who have aroused his enmity. It's as if the author, coming to an impasse in the plotting, scratches her head and thinks (in Icelandic), 'Hmm, how am I going to get round this little hiccup? Oh, I know - I'll bring that very useful and ubiquitous ghost back again! That ought to do it, and I'm sure my readers will be so scared by now that they won't notice that's exactly what I've been doing for the last 20 chapters!'

It's a very long time since I've read such an appallingly-written book. Years ago, I used to read manuscripts submitted by would-be writers, and this one is right down there with the worst of them. If I'd bought it in paper form, it'd now be in the basket by the fire along with the junk mail, waiting for winter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spooky Read, 29 Nov 2012
This review is from: I Remember You (Kindle Edition)
Now this is one of my favourite spooky reads. There was a tension building up throughout the book and at certain times I was actually scared whilst reading with the light off. One of the best and easiest Nordic based books I've read and very easy to read and follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb read, 4 Nov 2012
This review is from: I Remember You (Paperback)
I bought this book on recommendation from my niece, and I'm very glad I did. Atmospheric, well written and just all round excellent. I cannot recommend this highly enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a Thora Gudmundsdottir novel, 30 Oct 2012
This review is from: I Remember You (Kindle Edition)
I assumed this would be a novel around the detective/lawyer Thora Gudmundsdottir who is one of my favourite characters in a genre I enjoy (Icelandic crime fiction)My fault for not researching! The book is actually a ghost story set in the remote Westfjord area of Iceland and crossing over with the story of a bereaved father who moves to this area from the capital Reykjavik. In a way it is the typical "unsuspecting townies end up in derelict house out in the wilds with all communications to the outside world failing then strange things happen...." However there are several facets to the story, and it is also a story of human frailty. Not all of the characters are likeable and there is not a happy ending for everyone. I enjoyed the book but some phenomena remained unexplained ie was it human or otherwordly which I found frustrating. Good ending though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yrsa Sigurdardottir--I Remember You, 31 Oct 2012
Simon Clarke (Hackney, London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: I Remember You (Paperback)
This highly atmospheric tale is partly a crime thriller,but
mainly a ghost story.
Three youngish friends have bought a derelict house in a
deserted village on the coast in North West Iceland.Whilst
they are spending time there,making it habitable,they are
haunted by a presence which indicates that they are not
welcome.
At the same time a doctor in a nearby town discovers information
relating to the disappearance of his unfound son,three years
previous.
Before the two strands come together,the build-up of terror of
the three friends,and the increasing obsession of the doctor
are chillingly conveyed.
The reader is cleverly drawn into the atmosphere,and kept in
additional suspence,regarding the outcome of the tale ,until
the book's end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific book, 4 July 2014
This review is from: I Remember You (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoy this writer's other books, and was initially a bit put off by the absence of the hugely entertaining Thora. However, this Is a real page-turner: part ghost story and part thriller.

There are two narratives running through the book in alternate chapters and ultimately coming together at the end in spectacular and chilling style.

The plot is ingenious and the pace well-controlled. I didn't find any of the characters, bar one, massively appealing but that doesn't detract form the enjoyment of a cracking read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nightmares!, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: I Remember You (Kindle Edition)
Original storyline, not predictable at all. Good characterisation - and great twists. I was absolutely terrified at some points and read it during the day only as I kept waking my partner my jumping!

I Remember You
I Remember You by Yrsa Sigurdardottir (Paperback - 4 July 2013)