5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem...
I suspect I'm well outside the target audience for this one - I'd assume it'll be marketed for young adults of Gavin's young teen age but 400+ pages of tiny print, strong language in places and magical sequences from the 1500s might put it outside the comfort zone of the Harry Potter fan. But this really was a little gem. The first of a trilogy, set in Cornwall in the...
Published on 2 Jan. 2012 by Welsh Annie

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointed by this.
I love mythology. I've always enjoyed reading about the myths and legends of various different cultures and Treadwell blends bits and pieces of some of my favourites up in a blender and laces Advent with them. I also love poetic prose. I like narratives to weave and wander. It's one of the reasons I love Tolkien or the meandering narrative of Susanna Clarke. Given my...
Published on 24 May 2012 by @Scattered_Laura

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read but hard to understand, 5 Mar. 2012
This review is really hard to write. There were parts of this book I absolutely loved and there were parts I really struggled with. I really wanted to love this book, but perhaps I am not as comfortable with high fantasy novels as I first thought.

The story has elements of Faust, Arthurian legends and Celtic myths intertwined within it, creating an epic fantasy. I almost felt like I was missing out on a exquisite tale, with my lack of knowledge of these areas. True fantasy lovers will enjoy immersing themselves in the story and finding all the snippets and links.

I loved the language of the book, but struggled with the author's complex writing style.This book is very cleverly written, but to be honest I found it went beyond my level of understanding. For the first hundred pages I was slightly baffled. I struggled to understand and work out what was going on and found myself rereading passages to make sure I hadn't missed a subtle sign. I felt there was a lot of ambiguity to begin with and everything was open to personal interpretation. Now I can understand that the author wanted to keep us on our toes, but I would have liked a little more information to be divulged earlier in the story.

As the story progressed, everything became a lot clearer and the story really picked up the pace in the second half. Once everything was explained, I understand the story much more and could see where it was going.

The prose is poetic and flows beautifully. The author is definitely a wordsmith at heart. The landscape and descriptions bowled me over. Pendurra and Cornwall are brought to life with clarity and vision.

There are a lot of additional characters in the book, that seemed to appear and disappear throughout the story. I was glad to see the reappearance of certain characters later in the book, whom I had enjoyed reading about in the first half. I loved Corbo. I don't think I was meant to, but he really did try to go against the instructions he had been given. Gavin was very brave and stood firmly against everything that was thrown at him.

I think if you are a lover of high fantasy you will have no trouble absorbing this book. This book is not to be rushed; very much like an expensive wine needing love and appreciation by a wine connoisseur.

1.0 out of 5 stars worst read of the year, 25 July 2013
the worst book that i have ever read no plot no story line read 50% and still did not know what it was about

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 12 Dec. 2011
Jeff "roadrunner" (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thought I was really going to like this book. Echoes of Susan Cooper's superb 'Dark is Rising' books and when Gav gets to Cornwall, the path down to the house is surely out of 'Rebecca'. It started really well. It's well-written, sometimes exceptionally so but overall there's too much about it that I didn't like much. It does, as others have said, lose its way a bit and I couldn't really take to the old magician [hints of Prospero?] bits from the Middle Ages somewhere in Northern Europe. I waited a long time for some characters to be developed a bit more but that seemed to take forever and I came close to giving up around half way. Promising writing but needs greater pace.

3.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter for adults?, 13 Mar. 2012
A TV interview with the author suggested that "Advent" was Harry Potter for adults, stating that children would have difficulty following the story. Not only children! The story was vague for quite a while even though there were interesting ideas about ancient magic.I wish the "end note" on background had been given at the front of the book.
"Advent" is worth reading but is not league 1 fiction.

2.0 out of 5 stars "IT HAS BEGUN", 14 Dec. 2011
Mr. D. L. Rees "LEE DAVID" (DORSET) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It has indeed. Over 400 pages of small print, this but the first of a trilogy.

After many centuries' absence, Magic is back - great powers to be unleashed on an unsuspecting world. Who is in control? Unsuspecting fifteen year old Gavin seems the key - just before Christmas, he despatched by parents to stay with Aunt Gwen in a remote part of Cornwall. But where is she? Before long he is amongst very weird people and weirder creatures, his life under threat....

Some readers will welcome the opportunity to become immersed in such a wealth of detail, regarding it as essential for atmosphere befitting a great saga. Others may feel they are wading through treacle, for so much of the time the progress so slow. Those flashbacks barely help, perhaps only two contributing real worth - the intriguing 1537 prologue and an episode set in January of that year.

Sadly I was one whose initial good will and high hopes steadily evaporated. Characters and events forever suffer from wordiness which simply drains impact. It acts as a straitjacket, a potentially great story unable to escape. Admittedly the pace picks up around p.300 and at the very end there is a lurch into darker territory - a cliffhanger to whet the appetite for Part Two.

"Advent" no doubt will have its supporters, their stamina applauded. Here, though, seems a journey many readers will start, far fewer complete.

1.0 out of 5 stars Left me cold., 21 Aug. 2013
Didn't get past Chapter 4 because it bored me rigid and I showed some determination to get that far. No substance, slow storyline and childish in style.

Advent: Advent Trilogy 1
Advent: Advent Trilogy 1 by James Treadwell (Paperback - 22 Nov. 2012)