5.0 out of 5 stars The Burning Air - a great read
I've had a run of boring books over the last few weeks so was relieved to read this one which kept me gripped.
A family gathers at a remote house for Bonfire Night: Rowan, the recently widowed father, and his daughters Sophie and Tara, and his son Felix, and their partners and children. In their midst a stranger, Felix's new girlfriend. When she disappears with...
Published 5 months ago by JM

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I am missing something?
The story focuses on the McBride family, a close knit clan who prize education and justice highly, not least because the Mother and Father of the family are a magistrate and a headteacher respectively. We begin the book with the death of the beloved family matriarch, Lydia, and learn she has a secret she took to her grave, a secret that if revealed would have dire...
Published 17 months ago by Cymbaline

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Burning Air., 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Burning Air (Paperback)
I've just read this book and have bought this one for my daughter. If you like a bit of mystery you will love this! I couldn't put it down until I reached the wonderful ending.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written thriller, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Burning Air (Paperback)
I was drawn in by the premise of this, but what really hooked me was the author's style of writing. It is beautiful & moves this into a broader genre than ordinary thriller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to get into - but worth the perseverance, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Burning Air (Hardcover)
I really struggled with the first few chapters - too many names and non likeable characters - and I almost gave up. But then I got to the 'Darcy' narrative and from there on in, things got very very interesting. I read the rest in one day, I was so gripped, wondering how the scenario would all pan out in the end. The big issue I had was that I really didn't like the main family and wanted the underdogs rather than the spoiled brats to win out, so was a bit peeved by the ending!! I didn't take to this as much as I did 'The Sick Rose' and at times I wondered if the same author had really written both novels as they seemed so different. all in all, if you get into this one and see it through to the end, you will enjoy it! Did have an issue with the name Darcy though, as thought I was reading about a girl!! Very reminiscent of 'a sight for sore eyes' by Ruth Rendell.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Burning Air (Paperback)
I thought it was not up to the usual standard of Erin Kelly's previous books, but stayed with it although it was very slow going. Such a shame as I have so enjoyed all of her previous books. For me - better luck next time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent writing, 27 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Burning Air (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed this book thoroughly. Setting realistic, plot interesting and spans across the years. I could envisage the characters well. Recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars You can't pick your family, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Burning Air (Kindle Edition)
We all have issues within our family's but this family seemed to hold all the cards. Great read and the story flowed. Well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good chilling read, 15 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Burning Air (Paperback)
I have never read any of Erin Kelly's previous novels. The Burning Air is my first novel that I have read. I now have another favourite author to watch out for. Erin Kelly has delivered a chilling psycholgical thriller with The Burning Air.
I can see why her first novel The Poison Tree was selected for Richard and Judy's summer book club in 2011.
In The Burning Air
The McBride family always gather for bonfire night. But this year is the sadest Lydia the mother has died, leaving her husband Rowan devastated. The family arrive in Devon where Felix has brought his new beautiful girl friend Kerry with him. Sophie is not quite sure about Felix's girlfriend Kerry. Sophie ask how well do you know Kerry?. But even though Sophie feels edgy about Kerry she leaves her baby with Kerry to look after while Sophie goes out on Bonfire night with her family. What can possibly happen?.
The Burning Air is full of tension and holds so many secrets, so much revenge. from ireadnovels wordpress com. I hope all readers enjoy reading The Burning Air as much as I have. By ireadnovels.wordpress.com

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Burning Air (Hardcover)
I love erin kelly, have read all her books, i really enjoyed the book, although I did wonder if she didn't know how to end it??

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been sooooo much better., 17 July 2014
This review is from: The Burning Air (Paperback)
Had never heard of this author and only read it as it was the choice of my book club. I read the back & thought this is right up my street!
The initial few chapters were really good, and the Darcy / Matt twist was very well executed. I agree with the other reviewers that Lydia's character was really dull and as for her death bed "confession" well.....
My problem ares were - what became of the letter Sophie received in the throws of labour ? Sooo much more could have been made of that !
the postnatal depression quickly followed by a fourth pregnancy ...... Too much.
The whole louis/jinks thing - boring.
The ending was pants - a really super idea with a great twist badly let down. What a shame.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Erin Kelly!, 19 Jan 2013
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Burning Air (Kindle Edition)
Having been highly disappointed with "The Sick Rose", the authors follow up to the completely brilliant "The Poison Tree", I started this, her third novel, with some trepidation. By about chapter three I knew there was nothing to worry about. The story sucked me in, and I completed the book in under a day. The synopsis available is all the plot detail you need to decide if this novel interests you, so I won't go into any more detail because I think that the less knowledge you have about where this is all going, the better for your enjoyment. However, I will say this - about half way through the book, the author pulled the rug out from under me, with a superb twist in the tale that I really did not see coming. From then on it was a breathless rush to the finish to see how the heck it was all going to turn out. So Thank you Erin Kelly - my faith in you is restored. Quite Brilliant.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

The Burning Air
The Burning Air by Erin Kelly (Paperback - 29 Aug 2013)
3.85