4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational
Published 9 months ago by Zarina @ Page to Stage reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars The premise of the book intrigued me and immediately
"Letters from the only man she's ever loved.
A keepsake of the father she never knew.
Or just a beautiful glass vase that catches the light, even on a grey day.
If you had the chance to make a fresh start, what would you keep from your old life? What would you give away?
Gina Bellamy is starting again, after a difficult few years she'd rather...
Published 4 months ago by Sharon Benjamin, Chapter One P...

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Hundred Pieces of Me (Paperback)
Gina Bellamy has been through a lot in her young life and just when things seem to be on the mend her marriage succumbs under the pressure of finding happiness. Ironically, without the struggles and the need for her husband and herself to lean on one another there's little left between the two of them to sustain their relationship. So after years of sharing home and life with another person, Gina suddenly finds herself on her own. Starting from scratch in a tiny apartment she decides to truly start afresh and only keep hold of a hundred important things - a hundred pieces of herself.

While the initial reason behind Gina purging her belongings is a sad moment in her life, it forces her to reflect on all the things she's accumulated over the years and discover what's truly important. Not only that, but by doing so she comes to cherish some items more so than before and she manages to surround herself with what really brings her joy and happiness (that and necessities such as underwear of course - there are some things we are too spoiled to live without!).

Gina is a strong and inspirational woman, who has overcome so much to get where she is now. It was a joy to read about her growing as an individual within the novel, and her unexpected and unlikely friendship with Buzz was a welcome heart-warming addition to what could've otherwise been a desolate and depressing story of a woman struggling to find happiness. The only thing I disliked with a passion is how the novel ended. I can understand from a storytelling point of view that this was where Gina's path would lead her to, but she had already been through so much and she is such a wonderful person that I wanted nothing more for her than find love, health and happiness.

I did however really like the idea behind A Hundred Pieces of Me. Gina's journey, as she was sorting through her belongings one box at a time, was a fascinating one and I learned a lot along the way about myself as well. In my head I started to make a list of the things I would keep were I forced to downsize and whilst doing so I quickly came to realise that even though I am a big hoarder and find it difficult to let go of things, in the end there are few that truly matter. While tough to take the first step to such a big clear-out, I imagine it to be very satisfying and liberating too. After all, if you surround yourself with things that make you happy then logically thinking you would be happy too.

This is a story of starting over and coming closer to yourself. In our life we take a lot of things and luxuries for granted, but not until our eyes are forcibly opened do we usually see what's truly important and where our focus should lie. So imagine yourself in Gina's shoes, what hundred things in your life would you keep?

5.0 out of 5 stars A gorgeous gorgeous book!, 19 April 2014
Review: oh what a gorgeous book. I haven't actually read anything by this author before, despite having a couple of her novels sitting on my shelves but I was recommended this book so many times by other bloggers and other authors that I knew I had to pick it up. I ended up listening to this on audiobook and found myself making excuses to listen at any opportunity it was so compelling and I needed to find out what was going to happen next. It was one of those novels that I really struggled to describe to someone as I was reading it, but I love something like that that doesn't conform to a particular mould or form!

First of all let me rave about Gina because she is such a special character. She has been knocked down again and again and again. She has been in an unhappy marriage, she has a difficult relationship with her mother she is struggling to buck against the stereotype that she has of a survivor and yet that is exactly what she is, a survivor. Someone who makes the very best of herself, by herself, she accepts help from others and yet does things by herself and for herself, she had decided to make herself happy, something which more of us should definitely be trying to do, be happy for ourselves by ourselves!

Her best friend, Naomi is also an amazingly strong female and is a pillar of strength for Gina even if she doesn't realise it. She is written as the kind of best friend that all of us would want to have, just a little bit more outgoing and more straight talking that your average girly girl! Gina's ex is, of course, a character we kind of love to hate, but you also feel sympathy for him and I think Gina did too. Her relationship with her mother develops over the course of the novel and there is a very interesting couple that Gina works with, developing their house and gaining more than just a couple of business clients!

The storyline jumps back and forth between present day and flashbacks to Gina's past but it is so well-written that you never feel confused as to what era you are in. The writing is truly beautiful, full of wonderful descriptive phrases and by the end of the book, i felt as if the house she was developing was actually mine! There's a gorgeous dog for you to fall in love with as well and whilst reading about him, I felt I could actually see him sitting in front of me and see the pain in his eyes-aww!

This is truly a novel to help you appreciate what you have and make you evaluate whether the material possessions in your life are anywhere near as important as the relationships that you have. This book is far from a downer though, it is full of moments of pure joy and will motivate you to seize the day, so to speak. This is a unique book and something which everyone should make space in their reading piles for!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 28 Feb 2014
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Hundred Pieces of Me (Paperback)
I need to firstly talk about the STUNNING cover for A Hundred Pieces Of Me, it is absolutely beautiful and eye-catching and when I first held the book I could not stop staring at it! I think this is one of my favourite book covers of the year so far!

After going through some very tough times, Gina Bellamy finds that she is starting all over again, but everything that she owns and has treasured for so long doesn’t seem to fit her current life and who she is now. With that in mind, Gina makes a resolution to keep just a hundred special items, and let the rest go. So begins sorting her items, which means both facing the past and learning to embrace her future…

Oh how I LOVED this book, I wish I could pick it up and hold it tight and never let go, this is how much I enjoyed it.

I really liked the idea of selecting a hundred items, in fact after reading this book it made me sit and think and really consider the items that I own and the significance of them to me. I particularly loved how these objects aren’t just items, but as the title of the book suggests, they are PIECES of you, and each item has a memory.

I really liked Gina, she is so likeable and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know her over the course of the book. Gina is such a brave character and after all that she had been through I so desperately wanted her to have the life and happiness that she wanted. And I lobe that she is supporting by a wonderful selection of friends.

Lucy Dillon is an incredible amazing storyteller. Her words are almost like poetry, and she effortlessly weaves these items in with not only Gina’s present, but with her past through the use of flashbacks and memories, and what we get is a truly stunning story full of life, hope, heartbreaking moments, and also love. Ever since I finished A Hundred Pieces Of Me I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it and this story has really touched me. I don’t want to spoil what is a truly brilliant story but I urge anyone reading this to purchase it and lose yourself in this emotional and BEAUTIFULLY written novel.

3.0 out of 5 stars The premise of the book intrigued me and immediately, 10 Aug 2014
"Letters from the only man she's ever loved.
A keepsake of the father she never knew.
Or just a beautiful glass vase that catches the light, even on a grey day.
Gina Bellamy is starting again, after a difficult few years she'd rather forget. But the belongings she's treasured for so long just don't seem to fit who she is now.
So Gina makes a resolution. She'll keep just a hundred special items - the rest can go. But that means coming to terms with her past and learning to embrace the future, whatever it might bring . .."

MY REVIEW:

This is my first experience of Lucy Dillon and I was therefore delighted to have been accepted for a copy via Netgalley! Thank you!

A Hundred Pieces of Me gets * * * stars from me.

The premise of the book intrigued me and immediately had me thinking about my own possessions and what's important. The story tells of Gina, finding herself starting over as a single woman in a new, small & empty white flat - a stark comparison to the beautiful home she shared with her cheating husband. Sadly, her belongings from the house are just too great to squeeze into her flat, so Gina decides to only take 100 items into her new life.

The tale unfolds and captures it's reader with flashbacks from Gina's past and how it is shaping her future. Lucy Dillon's descriptive prose is such that I felt the hurt within the walls of the empty flat that was just waiting to be made a home. We find out that Gina has had a lot to cope with of late and it was wonderful to read on and find her strength and ability to move forward with such focus and positivity.

I loved the addition of Buzz the dog - a fuzzy friend will always warm the soul and fill a room with love! A well written, lovely read where we learn that if we let go of the past, we can live without regret in the present.

Overall, the concept was fantastic and did make me think about my own luxuries in life and their actual importance. It just sadly wasn't quite the page turner I'd been anticipating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
Inspiring!

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this book, 13 July 2014
I really enjoyed this book. Started with Walking back to happiness. Love the reality of the author looking for more of her books. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
This review is from: A Hundred Pieces of Me (Paperback)
Good book to be recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars good book for the, 9 July 2014
Enjoyable light read, good book for the beach

4.0 out of 5 stars Give this book a go!, 29 May 2014
This review is from: A Hundred Pieces of Me (Paperback)
This was an easy to read novel but was fairly easy to guess the end result, however , I did still really enjoy the read and the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars compelling, 29 May 2014
Could not put this book down. I thought the going back and too would annoy me but it made me want to read it quicker to get back top the present. Would recommend to amyone and can't wait to read more of her books

A Hundred Pieces of Me
A Hundred Pieces of Me by Lucy Dillon (Paperback - 27 Feb 2014)