4.0 out of 5 stars Like finding an old friend
I first read this book when I was at school studying for my finals. It struck me then that Stephen King is much much more than a magnificent horror writer, he is also a sensitive writer with a knack for observation.
I have, of course, read the book again since then and I must confess that it's impact on me has grown in the intervening years. Whilst before, I could...
Published on 16 Mar. 2000 by r.shorthouse@bell.ac.uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite compilation
Whilst this was quite good with some interesting stories, I have to say that I didn't find it as compelling as some of his other short story compilations. A lot of the material in this book almost felt "Experimental", and a few of the stories left me somewhat underwhelmed. One or two classics in the mix, but not enough to make this volume anything special for me.
Published 4 months ago by Bazz

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Art of the Novella, 11 July 2007
D. Thompson (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Different Seasons (Paperback)
Different Seasons is a collection of 4 novellas, each set in a different season. The stories do not interlink except for a few minor references to each other here and there.

The most notable thing that will first hit you upon reading is that none of the stories are horror, as you may have expected from Stephen King.
What you get are four beautifully crafted individual stories. However, it must be said that each story still does hint upon certain 'horror aspects', but I believe this to only be part of good storytelling and not King slipping into his usual typecast role. The final story 'The Breathing Method' has the strongest connection to horror, being very reminiscent of an Edgar Allan Poe story.

Three of the stories have been made into films, The Shawshank Redemption, The Body (Stand by Me) and Apt Pupil. So the likelihood is that you may have already seen at least one of the adaptations. Do not let this pass you up on reading Different Seasons. Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption as well as Apt Pupil in novella form are far superior and enjoyable to their movie counterparts.

My personal favourite of the novellas in Different Seasons is Apt Pupil. The sheer human psychological torture and overall bleakness makes an outstanding read. It pushes far beyond what a film of our time would DARE to reference to. I should perhaps warn you of the bleakness you will find whilst reading it. But the human condition is a strange thing, and you will find yourself at times questioning why and how you are being entertained by reading it. Amazing.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must buy for fans of Mr King, 11 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Different Seasons (Kindle Edition)
Stephen King is the master of the horror genre.
A break away from the norm with these short stories/novellas.
Shawshank, every man and his dog must have seen this film, the book is an even more compelling read.
The body, a great tale of friendship and nostalga. Great read again. I think Stephen king writes the views of youngsters in a fantastic fashion. [It is a classic example, another must have by the way]
Apt pupil. Didn't really fancy this one. Ended up reading it in a day. Intriguing.
The breathing method. Loved it. The only real supernatural story in the set but well worth a crack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 26 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Different Seasons (Paperback)
This is one of my favourite books.
We have four short stories, each around a bit more than 100 pages long and corresponding with the four different seasons. A tale of spring hope, summer corruption, a fall from inocence and a cold winter's tale.

The typical horror story is the one of winter and is chilling, i.e. normal King horror fashion.
But the others are something different altogether.
The horror of the summer story, about a young boy and how his mind is corrupted, you feel in the pit of your stomach. King, never one to shy away from graphic detail, creates a true atmosphere of foreboding in this shocking story.
The tale of spring is astounding, it gives you a true insight into a world anyone who has not been to prison has never seen. It's an inspirational story and leaves a real impact on you.
The Body - the one about autumn/fall - is about four young boys going to discover something morbid and how their journey towards it has a great effect on them. It's a really touching story, and it will move you to an extent that will stay with you forever.
Each of the four stories is narrated in true King manner, the characters being so real it's almost as if you know them personally. A great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Four out of four, 11 Aug. 2006
Jane Aland (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Different Seasons (Paperback)
Different Seasons is a collection of 4 novellas, and is notable for seeing King beginning to stretch away from writing just horror tales, though there is certainly enough macabre moments contained here to keep the more bloodthirsty fans happy. `Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption' tells the story of a wrongly convicted murderer and his escape from prison, seemingly a tale told so many times there's nothing more to add, but King transforms this into a beautifully moving character study. `Apt Pupil', while containing no supernatural elements, is certainly close to King's horror territory, being a disturbing a tale about a young boys blackmail of an ex-Nazi concentration camp commandant. A trifle overlong perhaps (this `novella' is around the same length of King's debut novel Carrie) but the bizarre double-blackmail relationship between the two characters is compulsive, and the dispassionate finale is memorable. `The Body' is undoubtedly the highlight of the collection, and certainly one of the best things King has ever written - a thinly-disguised childhood reminiscence fictionalised as a successful authors thinly-disguised childhood reminiscence - it captures brilliantly the coming of age from childhood to adulthood, and features some of King's best prose. Finally `The Breathing Method' is a back to basics old-fashioned horror story - all the basic tropes are familiar genre favourites: the mysterious gentleman's club where Lovecraftian things slither out of sight in upstairs rooms; the Victorian-style Christmas fireside ghost story - but King injects some modern-day grand guignol splatter horror to keep things fresh - slightly ridiculous, but good fun.

With four long stories in different genres, and every one in it's own way is successful, this is an excellent collection, and one of King's best books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different Seasons, 12 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Different Seasons (Kindle Edition)
A fine collection. It's testament to King's craft as a storyteller that this is one of the finest books he has produced and yet sits somehwat outside his usual genre. Three of the four stories have been made into movies (Stand By Me and The Shawshank Redemption being the most well known). Reading them here adds a new dimension to the films especially to the slightly more ambiguous presentation of Andy in The Shawshank Redemption. Elswhere Apt Pupil and The Breathing Method expertly deliver a more typical King tale. Hugely enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars As usual, King is a fine author, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Different Seasons (Kindle Edition)
I am a true fan of Stephen King. And this time, this book did not disappoint me. At the beginning, it was difficult to follow as I was on holidays and family and other commitments kept me away until I finally finished it. My favourite stories were "Apt Pupil" and "The body", which I was particularly interested in for I watched its film adaptation. I have always wondered where he does get his unlimited imagination and creativity from to write such tales.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, bizarre stories, 15 Jan. 2015
A great collection of very bizarre, surreal stories. I think my favourites were popsy, the moving finger and umney's last case (took a while to figure that story out!). I really wasn't keen on 'head down', the baseball story. I know King is a huge baseball fan but it's really not that interesting to me and I had to skip it (the first time I've ever done that with a Stephen King book). The other stories more than made up for it though. A good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 31 July 2014
This review is from: Different Seasons (Paperback)
I bought this book primarily for the Shawshank Redemption but found that I loved all the stories and wasn't aware that other stories featured were also made into films - Apt Pupil and Stand By Me. The stories were easy to read and enjoyable, even though I'd already seen two of the movies - not realising they were Stephen king. Good edgy fiction that isn't the horror that I'd previously associated with the author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite compilation, 14 Dec. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book to read, 7 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Different Seasons (Kindle Edition)
I chose this book because I had read others by Stephen King.
I really liked all of the stories.
Initially I thought there was going to be a link between them to tie them all together, but apart from a vague link between two, each one was a fascinating story in its own right.
They each give an insight into aspects of human nature, both good and bad.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Four Past Midnight
Four Past Midnight by Stephen King (Paperback - 7 Jun. 2012)