5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Desperation!
Published on 16 July 2004 by C. M. Collier

3.0 out of 5 stars King-by-numbers
Published on 17 Jan 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Desperation!, 16 July 2004
C. M. Collier "myopia1" (Liverpool,england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Regulators (Paperback)
In my opinion,this is a fantastic book,one which I have read again and again.It has most of the characters of Desperation,but is set on a happy summer street,and concentrates more on Audrey Wyler and her autistic nephew Seth,a beautiful little boy possessed by an alien,Tak.Stephen King,writing as Richard Bachman,writes women like no other man I know,and her diary entries are so believable and poignant that they form a perfect contrast to the unbelievable violence that erupts in this peaceful neighbourhood.
I love the ending of this book so much; in fact I just love this book.It may seem strange that a story about death and mayhem should appeal to me so much,but what I like so much about Stephen King is the constant fight between good and evil,and the fact that good usually triumphs,whatever the cost.It definitely does here,and I find the ending so satisfying,I sometimes pick up The Regulators and read the last few pages.
So,to sum up,Desperation's great,but The Regulators is absolutely brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very disturbing story...awesome!, 7 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Regulators (Hardcover)
I bought this on hardback the day of release back in 1996 along with Desperation. I read Desperation straight away and loved it, but somehow The Regulators stayed on the shelf until 3 days ago, some 14 yrs later almost! I am kicking myself that such a fantastic book has been looking out of my bookshelf at me for so many years yet I ignored it (I have the first edition UK hardback with green cover which actually HAS an eye on the front - maybe it WAS looking at me after all!?!).
I have just read it within 2 days and from start to finish it enthralled me, mesmerised me and if i'm honest, scared the living daylights out of me too! One of SK's more sinister and freaky novels and an instant classic that I know I will wanna read time and time again.
I know we all have different views and opinions, but I am struggling to understand how other King readers are leaving reviews stating 'not one of his best' ect ect... IMHO, this novel contains EVERYTHING a constant reader needs from a King novel. Some great characters (and previously known too which was kinda cool, remembering them from Desperation), there are some truly horrific scenes that made me cringe with delight, and the ending really got to me, not what I was expecting at all! The flashback scenes courtesy of journals left by Audrey were indeed both frightening and heartbreaking. One reviewer on here left a comment saying they skipped all the journal parts - these are so vital to the storyline, I would suggest having another read!
Then comes a letter written by the worker from the mine - these 6 or 7 pages had me on the edge of my seat!!!!

One of the best SK books I can honestly say I have read, and I have read many. It's strange that if I had to choose my Ultimate top 5 SK stories, 3 of them would be Bachman novels (The Long Walk, Blaze and now The Regulators).
If you like King's more twisted and sickening stories, you cannot afford to miss out on this treat!!!

Can't get the image of the SLB (Stalky Little Boy) out of my head!)

3.0 out of 5 stars King-by-numbers, 17 Jan 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Regulators (Paperback)
I was introduced accidentally to Stephen King and his alter-ego with Misery - a complex two-handed psychological narrative which left me in awe of this supposed gore-meister's grasp of true fear and horror. Since then, I have dipped infrequently into the back catalogue, with varying success. What works best for me (and I'm probably in a minority here), are the stories which weave real-life situations into an horrific super-reality. The regulators is not in that camp. It feels like a Stephen-king-by-numbers: a disparate, ill-defined group of stereotypes, facing a supernatural foe in a small town setting. Serve with frequent pop-culture reference (often lost on us Brits), and a kid with strange powers. Some die, some survive. Life is never the same. It's a well-trodden formula, that often pays off, but in The Regulators, the tension, and gradual dissemination of the nature of foe seems to be hurried, and the final reel (often a weakness in King plots) seems rushed and incomplete. By no means a disaster, but not up to the usual standards... Desperation anyone ?

4.0 out of 5 stars What would you expect?, 20 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Regulators (Kindle Edition)
Although this novel is not considered to be among King's best, I don't think it deserves the scorn that some reviewers have poured onto it.
While it might lack the finesse that usually elevates his work to dizzying heights, it's still a story that keeps you turning the pages.
The characters are beautifully drawn, the little observations of humanity at its most tender and most shameful are sophisticated and real. Ok not the best idea or plot he's ever come up with, but still well worth reading, just for the 'Kingism' of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. While this was the third time I've read ..., 27 Oct 2014
As The Page Turns (Wales, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Regulators (Hardcover)
Excellent. While this was the third time I've read The Regulators, it's the first time I read it immediately after Desperation.

It's fun to compare the two while reading, to see what scenes are similar and what characters change roles.

But this book is more enjoyable to me than Desperation, as it has a much quicker edge-of-your-seat pace.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but not brill, 15 July 2014
This review is from: The Regulators (Kindle Edition)
giving the regulators a three as it wasn't a bad book not as good as desperation which contains the same story line and most of the characters but is an ok read and easy to get into.

4.0 out of 5 stars A page turner, 10 May 2014
This review is from: The Regulators (Kindle Edition)
Another good read from King. A simply story told well that's keeps you turning the pages! Looking forward to discovering more of kings treasures

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Stephen King at his best, 2 May 2014
This review is from: The Regulators (Kindle Edition)
I mistakenly thought this was a new Stephen King but I was sorely proved wrong. It turns out this is one of his "oldies but baddies" written many years ago, and it shows! Very clunky language, clichéd beyond belief and the exact opposite of the page-turners we've come to expect from Mr King. Don't buy it unless you're a very very very hardcore King fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars King by name and nature, 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Regulators (Paperback)
Bought this book for my missus for christmas, who is a Stephen King buff. Its March now and Im still in her good books. She loves it and would definately recommend to any King fans out there.

2.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly poor, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Regulators (Kindle Edition)
Could not finish it....lacked flow and general quality....wasted purchase and would not recommend.

Certainly not up to the standard I have become accustomed to from Mr King.

The Regulators
The Regulators by Richard Bachman (Paperback - 20 Dec 2012)