5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've ever read!
As a recent review said, this really is the pinnacle of the series. Unlike that person and many others, I wouldn't quite say it's downhill from here as personally I loved the way the series ended. But then that's another book, another day and another review.

Wizard and Glass is mostly set in the past, telling a story of Roland's days before his quest. After the...
Published on 5 May 2006 by David Wood

3.0 out of 5 stars "And they died there together-o"
Before this past June, I had never been a big fan of the Dark Tower Series. But, since I am a rabid King fan, I knew I would have to buy Wizard and Glass as soon as it came out, and I figured I should go and give the first three books a chance. As soon as I started I was hooked. I read all three in a week, and I could not wait for Vol. Four. The story was engageing, the...
Published on 23 Oct 1997

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Another stunning King science fiction/horror classic., 1 Mar 2000
By A Customer
Welcome to the search for the Dark Tower. Even if you are not familiar with the three previous books in this series, this is a superb novel which will keep even the most easily distracted reader sellotaped to their seat! Roland, the last of the gunslingers, is on a mission to find the Dark Tower, the place where all worlds are said to meet. On arriving in a Kansas that none of his present group of Jake, Eddie and Susannah, recognises he feels the time has come to reveal to his new ka-tet the story of his old. As you encounter all the ups and downs of the exile of Roland, Alain and Cuthbert, you actually feel part of the ka-tet which has been sent to the small town of Mejis to count any resources which can help the affiliation, should the evil John Farson conquer the east. Although cliched, I could hardly put down this fast-paced, action packed book. The book manages to capture the joy and romance of young love as well as showing the cold hearted killers that are the other side of Roland and his friends considerable personalities. Join Roland, Cuthbert and Alain on the journey of a lifetime as they battle against the prejudice of a small majority of the town and try to halt the so far unstoppable surge of John Farson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tainted Love, 4 Dec 2002
Part four of 'The Dark Tower' doesn't forward the story of Roland's quest much; it mainly concentrates on what happened before the first book in the series (The Gunslinger). It relates the tale of Roland and his original companions' mission as spies. Sent to a town called Hambry, in a distant corner of Real Earth, allegedly to count supplies for the war effort, their real mission is to... ah, well that would spoil it, wouldn't it! Let's just say that Roland becomes side tracked from his mission by a girl and things don't quite go according to plan!
I thought, when reading this, that the tale of Roland's past would be decidedly boring... just another slushy love story. But I was wrong. The tale was so good that I didn't really mind that the quest for the Dark Tower had ground to a halt, in fact I was a bit disappointed when it was over and the book returned to Roland in the present day!
Part four is as good as parts two and three, and in some ways better. Here's looking forward to part five!

5.0 out of 5 stars The King has spoken, 17 Feb 1998
By A Customer
As a Constant Reader since I sat on my Daddy's lap looking through various King titles, I was beguiled by Wizard and Glass as a continuation of my King obessesion. Some readers complain that it was needlessly long and boring, but I say, that if you read King, you know that the Dark Tower series will be ten or twelve volumes (at least) in the making. Why complain? Yes, volume four took five long years; yes, Eddie, Susannah, and Jake were almost non-existant. But what about the superb flashback to the real Roland? Is'nt he what it's all about? Wouldn't you love to know a little more about his sufferings and loves? I was heartbroken by this book, and I am reluctantly waiting what could probably be another five years. However, I consider the fact that I have been collecting data on Roland's quest through The Eyes of the Dragon, The Stand, Insomnia, and Dark Towers 1-3. If this is a life-long commitment, then wish King luck, and prepare to be amazed. Much love Constant Readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars What is with the impatientce?, 15 Jan 1998
By A Customer
You know what really gets on my nerves. Impatient people. For all the people who didn't like this book especially because of length and irrelevence should stop reading it now. So what if we didn't learn too much about the Dark Tower, we probably won't until the last book of the series. That's sort of the point.
This book has made me want to be a part of the ka-tet walking along the beam and frankly, Rolands flashback was the best part of the entire series so far and that, my friends is saying a lot. For those who can't take some tragedy and misery, welcome to Roland's life. That is what we were meant to get out of the flashback. We found out why Roland is the way he is and how he started his quest for the Dark Tower
If King had tried to make this series short and sweet, it wouldn't be nearly as spellbounding as it is, and it definately is the best series I have ever read. Take your time Stephen King, some of your fans like detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suprisingly Wonderful, 16 Mar 1999
By A Customer
I must admit that I really was not looking forward to "Wizard & Glass" when I bought the book. I was very upset at the "non-ending" King left me with in "The Wastelands." Now I was forced to read about Roland's past rather than his continued struggle to the Dark Tower. In the end, "W&G" could be the best novel I've read by King or any author, for that matter. I thought the ending was rather predictible, yet found myself very moved when the inevitible came. The classic western "guy in the white hat versus the guy in the black hat" showdown was wonderfully crafted over the pages, and the romance between Roland and Susan was an excellent change of pace. "W&G" was suprisingly wonderful for me. I hope that King will write more of Roland's youth as well as continue the superb saga of older Roland's quest for the Dark Tower.

5.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to put down, 4 April 2000
By A Customer
Having not read any of the other Gunslinger books I was apprehensive at starting on the fourth, but after a slow start (which is hard to follow if you haven't read the others) The story changes to follow the Gunslinger's youth and the beginning of his quest. This part is the main part of the book, and really makes you feel like you are there with the Gunslinger and his friends in the futuristic yet strangely historical story. It manages to portray Roland's first experience of love with amazing realism (even though the author himself says that he does this badly) and also shows the other, highly trained and ruthless side of the three teenage warriors. One of the few books I've read that I actually cared about the characters. There are some that you want dead, and some that you'd happily go in shooting on the same side as, if only you could. A brilliant book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dark Tower 4:Wiazrd and Glass, 10 July 2002
I have all four of this series and absolutely cannot wait until the fifth one. I have been a Stephen King fan for many years and have many of his books, but this series far outstrips them all. You follow Roland of Gilead and his ka-tet with all their trials and tests along the way to the Dark Tower and you just need to know the significance of Eddie's dreams about the single red rose. I hope it isn't too long before the next of this thrilling series comes out as I cannot wait to rejoin the little band of pilgrims on the next part of their quest. Thumbs up for this splendid and well written novel. I would recommend it to others and also suggest they read books 1 through 3 to learn how it all began , if they haven't already. It would also be good to learn about Roland's earlier ka-tetand what happened to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars "By far the best Stephen King book!", 26 Nov 1998
By A Customer
I am an avid fan of Stephen King. I have read every book he's written. The "Dark Tower" series is my favorite of King's work, and "Wizard and Glass" is the best of the yet-to-be completed series. This book is a page turner. King's writing in this novel is remarkable- blending fantasy and fiction, action and romance. Despite the long length of the book, I finished it in 5 days- and I'm not a fast reader. I read this book on the bus on the way to work, at work, on the way home, and after I got home. In short- I could not put it down. I for one cannot wait until the next book in the series comes out! For those of you that think Stephen King is just a one-dimensional horror writer, do yourself a favor and pick this book up. You will not be dissapointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Dark Tower so far..., 22 April 2009
Moondog (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed the Dark Tower Vol 1: Gunslinger because I was quickly immersed in the idea of a western/fantasy crossover. The mystery and potentially epic scale of what once might have been in Roland's world and the possibilities of what lay ahead didn't disappoint (even if the Slow Mutants did nothing for me). And although I've stuck with and enjoyed much of the Tower ever since I must admit I have been disappointed with giant robotic bears, lobsters and talking trains... and the character of Eddie is just plain irritating.

And then came Volume 4: Wizard and Glass. This was the novel I wanted all along! A beautiful western it is too, with believable characters, love, action, tragedy, subterfuge, and a stunning backdrop you can really visualise. Even the witch with her crystal ball is done very well in spite the deliberate cliche. I won't go into details on the storyline because its already been said elsewhere.

And then, inevitably, the flashback narrative that makes up the bulk of this novel returned me to the "present", and once again I felt disappointment at being confronted with characters I had little interest in (Why would Roland's friends be giggling and joking moments after hearing his tale of ultimate despair?)and a ridiculous Wizard of Oz homage ending which comes close to wrecking the entire experience. I think Stephen King's writing style is also far better when detailing Roland's history. At least the graphic novels all focus on this element of the series and I look forward to reading them once I've reached the Tower itself.

(EDIT: I reached the Tower. The VERY ending is worthwhile and stayed with me for days, but a huge part of the narrative portrays Stephen King as hugely narcissistic and self-indulgent. If you can put up with this then the journey is just about worth it. WIZARD AND GLASS is definately the best novel out of all seven!)

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful and important glimpse into the character of Roland, 30 Oct 2006
Chris Hall "DLS Reviews" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Stephen King's novel "Wizard And Glass" is the forth instalment of the seven part epic "Dark Tower" series. The novel runs for a whopping 840 pages out of the series total of 3712 pages. Within the book you also have the usual introduction by Mr. King that's well worth the read, running for just six pages. There's also an Afterword at the end, giving the reader a little more insight into the writing of the book.

Anyway, by now you are already well into the epic journey of the Dark Tower series, with a good understanding of the five major characters (including Oy that is). The book begins exactly where we left off, with the massive cliffhanger at the end of "The Waste Lands". King tackles this well, bringing about a good introduction into this next book.

From here on in, we are sent back in time to when Roland was a young gunslinger, as he tells the story of his past and how he got to where he is now. This is basically the whole novel, which is nicely book-ended on either side.

Roland's tale brings out a whole new and complicated side to the character that we have been getting to know over that last three novels. The story shows further the honour of being a gunslinger, as well as how they are perceived. Cuthbert and Alain play large roles within the story, as does Roland's first love. His entire background and upbringing shows how this previously secretive character has grown into the man he is now.

At this stage through the series, I would say that this novel delivers by far the most insight into the characters enriching the series immensely. It is certainly not the fastest of paces, but is an enjoyable read that is difficult to put down.

Personally, I found the ending to the novel a little rushed, and dare I say forced? I know what you're thinking...840 pages and I think it's rushed! I won't spoil it for you, but the way the novel is constructed, left King with a quick fire ending that didn't really reflect the importance and build-up to the situation. Well, that's what I think anyway!

The next instalment in the series is entitled "Wolves Of The Calla".

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

Wizard and Glass (Dark Tower)
Wizard and Glass (Dark Tower) by Stephen King (Paperback - 16 Feb 2012)
7.82