5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've ever read!
As a recent review said, this really is the pinnacle of the series. Unlike that person and many others, I wouldn't quite say it's downhill from here as personally I loved the way the series ended. But then that's another book, another day and another review.

Wizard and Glass is mostly set in the past, telling a story of Roland's days before his quest. After the...
Published on 5 May 2006 by David Wood

2.0 out of 5 stars Too bad.....
This SHOULD have been one of the greatest books by Stephen King. However, it is not. I would have liked to give it a 1-rating but my respect for Mr. King is too big to do that.
This book is one big disappointment! Let me explain: I enjoyed reading King's books for a long time because of his imagination. "The Stand" is an excellent book for its visionary...
Published on 10 Dec. 1997

‹ Previous | 1 2 325 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have ever read in my life!, 16 Aug. 2001
By A Customer
If you want a book with horror, action and romance then this is the book for you! It continues the story of Roland Gilead (aka The Gunslinger)and his ka-tet, but goes back in time to recall the story of his one true love Susan, and the tragic (and horrific) consequences of falling in love. But will they ever reach the Dark Tower?

5.0 out of 5 stars Wizard and Glass. The dark Tower., 8 Feb. 2007
If you read Stephen King books you might think you know what to expect, but with this book it is not the case. This isn't a horror story as such, although some parts are most distressing,as it is a story about loss, regret and most of all; love. The Dark Tower series is entirley different from any thing Stephen King has ever written(though you may find parts of Rolands story interlacing with other King books and vice- versa)

Wizard and Glass is a powerful story which drags you in to an amazing and frightening world,a world which is beginning to move on.

Still on the quest for the Dark Tower are Roland Deschain, Eddie Dean, Susannah Dean and Jake Chambers.

Roland and his Ka-tet battle Blaine the mono in a riddle competiton for their lives. Roalnd tells the long a go tale of his one true love Susan Delgado( the main part of this story).

As it is written by King expect not a fairytail ending; but a story full of spectacular visual imagery, excitement,love,adventure,regret, sorrow,fear and bravery.A truly haunting piece of literature that enables characters to be unforgettable and truly believable, King ensures that you will laugh and cry along with them.

This book was my favourite of the series even though i enjoyed them all.If you have enjoyed the previous Dark Tower volumes then you will love Wizard and Glass. I hope you enjoy this as much as i did, See you at the top of the tower!

5.0 out of 5 stars This long-awaited next book in a series was well worth it., 18 Mar. 1998
By A Customer
I have long been a fan of Stephen King novels, and especially of his more "fantasy-like" books. I became engrossed in the Dark Tower series long ago and have been waiting patiently for the next book. I had almost given up hope that Mr. King would continue the series, when I happened across "Wizard and Glass". I was browsing in a book store when I saw it. I bought it breathlessly and rushed home to read it. It did not disappoint me. It is a credit to Mr. Kings superb writing skill that I was able to recommence the story without so much as a glance at the previous novels of the series. He makes it so easy that a reader who had never read any of the previous books of the series could easily pick up the story. This novel was a history of the main character and the reason for his quest. It was thoroughly enthralling. The element of romance was somewhat unusual in a Stephen King novel, however, it was perfectly done, and integral to the story. Of course, what King novel would be complete without a certain amount of shocking, horrifying, and just plain gross sub-plots and details. Certainly, this novel has them, and, as usual King fans, it is great. The end of Roland's history lesson will leave you shocked, and I daresay, gaping open-mouthed. I won't spoil it for you. Read this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another stunning King science fiction/horror classic., 1 Mar. 2000
By A Customer
Welcome to the search for the Dark Tower. Even if you are not familiar with the three previous books in this series, this is a superb novel which will keep even the most easily distracted reader sellotaped to their seat! Roland, the last of the gunslingers, is on a mission to find the Dark Tower, the place where all worlds are said to meet. On arriving in a Kansas that none of his present group of Jake, Eddie and Susannah, recognises he feels the time has come to reveal to his new ka-tet the story of his old. As you encounter all the ups and downs of the exile of Roland, Alain and Cuthbert, you actually feel part of the ka-tet which has been sent to the small town of Mejis to count any resources which can help the affiliation, should the evil John Farson conquer the east. Although cliched, I could hardly put down this fast-paced, action packed book. The book manages to capture the joy and romance of young love as well as showing the cold hearted killers that are the other side of Roland and his friends considerable personalities. Join Roland, Cuthbert and Alain on the journey of a lifetime as they battle against the prejudice of a small majority of the town and try to halt the so far unstoppable surge of John Farson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tainted Love, 4 Dec. 2002
Part four of 'The Dark Tower' doesn't forward the story of Roland's quest much; it mainly concentrates on what happened before the first book in the series (The Gunslinger). It relates the tale of Roland and his original companions' mission as spies. Sent to a town called Hambry, in a distant corner of Real Earth, allegedly to count supplies for the war effort, their real mission is to... ah, well that would spoil it, wouldn't it! Let's just say that Roland becomes side tracked from his mission by a girl and things don't quite go according to plan!
I thought, when reading this, that the tale of Roland's past would be decidedly boring... just another slushy love story. But I was wrong. The tale was so good that I didn't really mind that the quest for the Dark Tower had ground to a halt, in fact I was a bit disappointed when it was over and the book returned to Roland in the present day!
Part four is as good as parts two and three, and in some ways better. Here's looking forward to part five!

5.0 out of 5 stars The King has spoken, 17 Feb. 1998
By A Customer
As a Constant Reader since I sat on my Daddy's lap looking through various King titles, I was beguiled by Wizard and Glass as a continuation of my King obessesion. Some readers complain that it was needlessly long and boring, but I say, that if you read King, you know that the Dark Tower series will be ten or twelve volumes (at least) in the making. Why complain? Yes, volume four took five long years; yes, Eddie, Susannah, and Jake were almost non-existant. But what about the superb flashback to the real Roland? Is'nt he what it's all about? Wouldn't you love to know a little more about his sufferings and loves? I was heartbroken by this book, and I am reluctantly waiting what could probably be another five years. However, I consider the fact that I have been collecting data on Roland's quest through The Eyes of the Dragon, The Stand, Insomnia, and Dark Towers 1-3. If this is a life-long commitment, then wish King luck, and prepare to be amazed. Much love Constant Readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars What is with the impatientce?, 15 Jan. 1998
By A Customer
You know what really gets on my nerves. Impatient people. For all the people who didn't like this book especially because of length and irrelevence should stop reading it now. So what if we didn't learn too much about the Dark Tower, we probably won't until the last book of the series. That's sort of the point.
This book has made me want to be a part of the ka-tet walking along the beam and frankly, Rolands flashback was the best part of the entire series so far and that, my friends is saying a lot. For those who can't take some tragedy and misery, welcome to Roland's life. That is what we were meant to get out of the flashback. We found out why Roland is the way he is and how he started his quest for the Dark Tower
If King had tried to make this series short and sweet, it wouldn't be nearly as spellbounding as it is, and it definately is the best series I have ever read. Take your time Stephen King, some of your fans like detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suprisingly Wonderful, 16 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
I must admit that I really was not looking forward to "Wizard & Glass" when I bought the book. I was very upset at the "non-ending" King left me with in "The Wastelands." Now I was forced to read about Roland's past rather than his continued struggle to the Dark Tower. In the end, "W&G" could be the best novel I've read by King or any author, for that matter. I thought the ending was rather predictible, yet found myself very moved when the inevitible came. The classic western "guy in the white hat versus the guy in the black hat" showdown was wonderfully crafted over the pages, and the romance between Roland and Susan was an excellent change of pace. "W&G" was suprisingly wonderful for me. I hope that King will write more of Roland's youth as well as continue the superb saga of older Roland's quest for the Dark Tower.

5.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to put down, 4 April 2000
By A Customer
Having not read any of the other Gunslinger books I was apprehensive at starting on the fourth, but after a slow start (which is hard to follow if you haven't read the others) The story changes to follow the Gunslinger's youth and the beginning of his quest. This part is the main part of the book, and really makes you feel like you are there with the Gunslinger and his friends in the futuristic yet strangely historical story. It manages to portray Roland's first experience of love with amazing realism (even though the author himself says that he does this badly) and also shows the other, highly trained and ruthless side of the three teenage warriors. One of the few books I've read that I actually cared about the characters. There are some that you want dead, and some that you'd happily go in shooting on the same side as, if only you could. A brilliant book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dark Tower 4:Wiazrd and Glass, 10 July 2002
Nyree (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have all four of this series and absolutely cannot wait until the fifth one. I have been a Stephen King fan for many years and have many of his books, but this series far outstrips them all. You follow Roland of Gilead and his ka-tet with all their trials and tests along the way to the Dark Tower and you just need to know the significance of Eddie's dreams about the single red rose. I hope it isn't too long before the next of this thrilling series comes out as I cannot wait to rejoin the little band of pilgrims on the next part of their quest. Thumbs up for this splendid and well written novel. I would recommend it to others and also suggest they read books 1 through 3 to learn how it all began , if they haven't already. It would also be good to learn about Roland's earlier ka-tetand what happened to them.

‹ Previous | 1 2 325 | Next ›

The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass
The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass by Stephen King (Paperback - 16 Feb. 2012)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available