Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 May 2011
Have just finished this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. As a foster carer i have worked with social workers and have some insight into the job they perform. I thought Becky Hope wrote well about some of her cases and would be interested to read more. I hope there's another book on the way.
on 27 May 2011
This book was wonderfully written and fully conveyed the author's passion for her job, and care for the children and families with whom she works. Social workers so often go unthanked for the difficult job they do, and books like this provide fantastic insight into their world. I very much enjoyed reading about all the different cases the author described and would recommend this book highly. My only complaint would be that it left me wanting more!
on 24 February 2012
It is rare to read the stories of chaotic parents and their vulnerable children told from the perspective of a social worker. The main strand of this book is a valuable insight into the difficulties behind the life changing decisions made in court - whether a child should stay with their birth family or be adopted and the process that is involved in this. I was struck by the compassion shown towards all characters in this scenario.

The book also reveals the day to day problems a social worker have to tackle - a misunderstood teenager, a father's behaviour deteriorating under extreme pressure - and how these situations can sometimes be eased with a little bit of extra support.

Furthermore there is some exploration of the lives of children placed in foster care.

I really think that this is a book that everyone should read. I think that many people would be reassured to have their fears about the work of social services shown to be without foundation and perhaps they could start to give social workers the respect they deserve.

I hope that Becky will write another book - perhaps this time talking more about the lives of children who grow up in the care system?
on 11 November 2012
This is a truly excellent book by a writer who obviously cares very passionately about the people in her care. As a GP I have found that when caring for vulnerable patients the Social Services can seem unresponsive but Becky Hope has put that all into context, describing the work pressures and how difficult it can be to give the care that is needed within the constraints of time and resources.
I felt inspired by her descriptions of overcoming difficulties. The processes are obviously demanding and cumbersome but the dedication of workers like Becky, prepared to give their all to their clients is truly heartwarming.
After all the negative publicity of the past years (how rarely do we hear the Social Services praised?!)this book is the best evidence of the magnificent work done by people for whom the happiness and safety of their clients is their sole concern.
This book should be compulsary reading for GPs and anyone proposing to become a GP, medical students, practice nurses, Health Vistors and district nurses.
Understanding the demands of another professional's job gives us empathy and the will to work together to help those who are vulnerable and in need.
This book should do for Social workers what "Call the Midwife" has done to raise the profile of midwifery.
on 29 January 2012
excellent book for general reading to see the stresses and work that social work involves. If working in or towards this line of work its a must to gain an insight of how things are really. humourous in places and not repetitive in case work. really enjoyed something written by a social worker and not an academic.
on 15 September 2012
This is one of the very few accounts of the problems children experience at the hands of their parents, written from personal experience that is not a 'misery memoir'. It is refreshing to hear from the professional's point of view about her daily workload and how parents' 'rights' are often perceived as being more important than the welfare of the child. I have been involved in child protection for over 20 years in a different capacity but I can echo the author's frustrations when children are expected to wait until a parent, usually the mother, turns herself round, if ever. Society needs to face the reality that not every mother is a good mother and that the damage can start from Day One or even before in the case of mothers with drug or alcohol problems.

This is an excellent book, not just for those involved in Child Protection but should reach out to a wider audience. It is well written, to the point, and shows there is some hope for children, provided that a lot of time and care are taken.
on 4 October 2012
The author has managed to write a really informative book on the life of a social worker working in children's services whilst at the same time making it a real page-turner. It is a book that would be great for anyone considering going into this field of work, giving them a very realistic insight into the day to day challenges and rewards the role offers. On the other hand, in a safe, fictional, way it opens up what most of know only as secretive and confidential work for us to get a really honest look at social work and the problems encountered by far too many children today. It is honest and reflects what we can all imagine must be the frustrating limitations of trying to protect children in danger. It is a book that will bring a tear to your eye in places but also make you realise what great caring people there are in our world - well done foster parents, I don't know how you do it but please keep doing it!
on 28 December 2012
As a fellow social worker, Becky hit the nail on the head in a way that is refreshingly honest and simple, not an easy task with the job that we do. Many people could learn a lot from the glinpse into the world of decisions that have to be made, choices that have to be prioritised and recognising the personal cost to social workers in terms of their physical and emotional health.

Anyone who has ever had to deal with social services from either side can gain some insight into the way and the reason that choices are made.

It is a very readable book and not a diatribe about how hard done by we are as a service.

Very well written Becky. I've encountered most of the scenarios that you have described and you have captured it all incredibly well but made it accessible to every reader.I'll Never Give Up on You
on 1 October 2012
I've just finished reading this book and, like others have said, I would love to hear some more. I haven't before read a book written from the point of view of a social worker, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. While a serious book discussing big issues, there are some happy endings, thank goodness as it is based loosely upon real events. I particularly enjoyed the stories of Martin and Sarah getting totally involved in their cases and eagerly awaiting the outcomes.

A thought provoking book. Certainly a must for people thinking about working in child protection or anyone with an involvement in fostering or adoption. Even more so for anyone involved in developing policy!
on 29 October 2014
As my title suggests, I absolutely loved this book. I read alot of similar stuff & this would be my favourite by a mile. It gives a great insight into what its like to be a social worker in the UK today. Becky Hope is totally inspiring & a true,genuine social worker who puts her heart & soul into every working day. At times I found this book stressful to read, not only because of the cases but also because of the inhuman amount of work & pressure social workers are under, expected to achieve 48hrs work in 24hrs & then vilified by the public if something goes wrong or is overlooked. Highly recommend.