4.0 out of 5 stars Good to help understand how horror really works....
I mistakenly purchased this book believing it to be another piece of horror writing in the same vein as many other great King novels. I was at first disappointed to find it is King's personal comprehensive look at the horror genre (film, radio, novels etc) from post WW2 to 1980. It was written as a response to all those who have ever asked why somone should want to write...
Published on 27 Dec 2003 by Steve Fincham

3.0 out of 5 stars A stepping stone to more interesting reads
This book is King's dissection of the horror genre between the years 1950-80. Do not read this book if you expect it to be a horror novel, it is really an in-depth look at horror books, films, and TV. King does use autobiographical elements to make the book interesting, and most of his views and interpretations are interesting as well. However, it does tend to drag in...
Published on 31 Aug 2000 by Davey Boy

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my thing, 25 May 2014
This review is from: Danse Macabre (Paperback)
As a big fan of all things by Stephen King I was disappointed with this book. Maybe I should have checked it out more first, I tried to get into it but it was about Stephen Kings life and the way he wrote his books, this different style of book wasn't for me. Many will like it I am sure but not me sorry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Recommendations But Dated Opinions, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Danse Macabre (Paperback)
I'm re-reading Stephen King's books in chronological order and this was the next book in line. I can now tell exactly how old I was when I originally read his books because this was the first one I bought (well was gifted) brand new from the bookstore. Every July (my bday) and Christmas my dad would give me any new Stephen King books that had come out as presents; so I was 13 when I got this one. I was really looking forward to this, King's first foray into non-fiction, as my first read of it had been soooo enlightening. I wanted to get my hands on every book he mentioned, watch every movie he named but it being pre-internet days that was a very hard task indeed. Now that I re-read the book thirty years later I find that I've watched a great many of the mentioned movies and the major books listed but not all of them so I still had some titles and authors to add to my tbr.

It's a great book and so interesting to read. Parts of the book are biographical telling about young Steve's life as a kid when he connected with this world of the macabre, but mostly it is his treatise on the horror story genre and what it includes both the good and the bad. The movie section was enjoyable but my favourite part was the longest section: on books, of course. Steve has a great writing voice and it's like taking to someone about a topic you both love over a couple of beers. The only part that was disappointing was the section on TV. The book shows its age here, written in 1981, King is writing from an era of Mork & Mindy, The Dukes of Hazzard and Fantasy Island to name a few. King has no use for television whatsoever, feeling that all who lower themselves to its level, actors, directors, writers are entering an abyss of no return. He does manage to tell about a few gems, in his opinion, and he recommends such as Outer Limits and Dark Shadows. The book was written over quite a period of time which shows as when he first starts the book he mentions his own books: . Carrie, 'Salem's Lot, The Shining (and the corresponding movies), further on Night Shift and The Stand and towards book's end The Dead Zone is mentioned once. He had also of course published Firestarter by the time this book was on the shelves.

Since his opinions and views of television are so outdated from now, where horror is a staple on the tube with King even being behind some ventures himself (Kingdom Hospital), I would sincerely love a follow-up to this book. Two ideas I have Uncle Steve, if you are listening: 1) continue with another book following the same theme horror movies, TV, books from the 80s to the 2010's. or 2) A new book just on horror and TV where King can expound on the very short chapter he included in this book and then go on to talk about what happened with horror on TV after the sitcom driven slump of the 80s up to the present. Why was Buffy a big hit in the 90s? Why is Walking Dead so hot today? Great book for the history of the genre but really worthy of a modern follow-up since there is so much more to say when his opinions are rooted in the eighties.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting analysis of horror, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Danse Macabre (Kindle Edition)
As everything Stephen King writes this is very readable. It's also a very interesting and insightful analysis of how and why things scare us. When King gets more specific and refers to obscure B movies I have no idea about, I lost interest a bit, but mostly this is a very enjoyable read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Curious and somewhat disappointing, 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: Danse Macabre (Paperback)
Considering that King is such a successful author of horror stories, he has some very strange views on horror. To give one example, he criticises the universally-acknowledged classic CAT PEOPLE, yet raves on about the turgid and almost-unwatchable CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON as if it were a masterpiece. He's similarly enthusiastic about such films as I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN and THE BLOB. In fairness, he rightly identifies other great movies such as THE HAUNTING and NIGHT OF THE DEMON, but he seems overly-keen on too many trashy films, in my opinion. The book was mildly interesting but is most certainly not an 'in-depth' appraisal of horror is all its guises. It's simply a stream-of-consciousness chat about his various likes and dislikes, some of which people will agree with, but much that a lot of people won't agree with. He offers little real serious dissection of the mechanics of horror, which I found disappointing. By the way, the Kindle edition of this book does not contain the extra essay advertised on the cover of the hard-copy version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 5 Feb 2013
Good product (as described) and dispatched promptly. All in all, an excellent product and I'm totally satisfied with the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting analysis of the genre, 11 Feb 2000
This review is from: Danse Macabre (Paperback)
King basically breaks down the entire genre into 4 archetypal monsters, with loads of examples. A bit heavy going in places, but mostly very engaging. Really useful if you're a critic or writer in the feild.

5.0 out of 5 stars King knows what hes talking about, 25 July 2007
Mr. C. M. Owen "Curtis_Owen" (Leominster, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Danse Macabre (Paperback)
Anyone interested in Horror will 'love' this. It's a thought provoking & insightful book that explores & encapsulates the world of Horror. King shows us the nuggets of gold he has found along his yellow brick road.They shine brightly.... Excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much of his work gives you the shudders, 23 Nov 2014
What I need is more books from Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable description, 15 Jan 2012
Hi, the packaging was good and the book in accettable conditions, as by description. Quick delivery. Now I can start reading! :) Thanks

Danse Macabre
Danse Macabre by Stephen King (Paperback - 11 Oct 2012)